Thyroid Disorders Community
Low TSH and Low free t3/t4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low TSH and Low free t3/t4

Hello I have a low tsh and my free t3 and 4 are also on the very low end of normal.  I am wondering if I have "secondary hypothyroidism" because when the free's are low the tsh is usually high.  So i was thinking maybe i have a pituitary malfunction.

I am 68 y.o. F, and am taking Armour Thyroid 90mg. I have had Hashimotos for over 10 yrs.  I noticed my cholesterol and triglycerides always go up when my thyroid hormones aren't high enough. That is what is happening to me now. My blood pressure runs about 107/59-pulse 56-60 sometimes lower.

I live in a rural community where we don't have the best Drs. available. I don't know where to turn at this point, perhaps you could give me some ideas to think about, and some tests to have. I have read about malfunctioning pituitary gland and the symptoms on www.pituitary.org and I am wondering if I should be referred to a specialist.

Thank you for your any info. or help--------
40Mills
A pituitary problem seems likely. Another cause would be adrenal problems.

The local GP can run blood tests to probe the pituitary function, but it sounds like you may have to see a specialist. You may have to write down the tests you want your local doctor to run, and then interpret the results yourself.

You may as well read up on it and get informed, because if you see a specialist you had better be able to talk the lingo or you won't know if the specialist is giving you a correct diagnosis.
AR is absolutely correct. You have to know the answers yourself, because they will tell you what they "think" and if you have a better understanding, then you will know whether to trust what they say or see another dr.

We have to remember, they are just DR, not GOD.  I know, I know, they like to think they are(most anyway) ha ha

So sorry i have overlooked this forum. THanks for writing. I am in the process of having things checked out. My endo appt is another 2 months away and I have found out that my afternoon/evening cortisol-adrenals is on the low side, so i have been given some things to try and help. Glandulars, herbs.  So i hope i am on the right track.  Sometimes we feel as though we are spinning our wheels, just going from one dr to another.  
Sorry for my delay----You mentioned adrenal---how could my low tsh be related to adrenals? if you would care to elaborate, i would be grateful.  thanks,
You mentioned a low TSH, along with low T4/T3.  What are the actual numbers?
I am curious to know the actual test results as well.
I try to get copies of all my tests, although I miss one here and there.

If your Adrenal glands are under sufficient stress, they can force the Pituitary to produce less TSH than the body is calling for. It is a defense mechanism of the Adrenal glands.

The Adrenal glands slow the production of Thyroid hormones to a level that they can keep up with. They do that by suppressing the TSH. Your metabolism slows and your Adrenals get a little breather.

So you have low TSH, and low T4/T3.

I'm not saying this is your problem. I'm saying this is one way they can all three be low.