Thyroid Disorders Community
Low TSH Levels; High Calcium Levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low TSH Levels; High Calcium Levels

I am new so please read my profile.  

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease 15 months ago and since have had 2 orbital, 1 muscle,  1 eye-retraction operations.  For my last operation, the post-op blood work indicated high calcium levels.  

My TSH levels were balanced by June 2008 and my endocrinologist took me off the PTU meds.  But my levels starting rising again and in October 2008 I took a radioactive pill to kill the thyroid --- it didn't work.  My levels were as high as 30.  After unsuccessfully waiting for the levels to drop, I was put back on PTU in January and the dosage was increased in February .... my levels were 28.

Now my pre-op blood work in mid-February showed very high calcium levels; but the parathryoid levels were normal.
I took more bloodwork and a urine sample today and is scheduled to return for the results in a month.  

My daily meds include PTU, Benicar HCT and Metoprolol plus 2 eye drops.

I'm very nervous about what the problem is.  

Any info would be helpful.  
Hi there and welcome! Are they doing a 24 hour urine catch?
Are you seeing an endocrinologist? If this is endocrine related, then you really need someone who specializes in parathyroid. Has anyone done a sestambi test on you? Even these are not foolproof unfortunately.
A fantastic website to learn about parathyroid disease is parathyroid.com
Dr Norman is very knowledgeable of thyroid and parathyroid disease and his website is most imformative. Maybe it will give you some ideas or thoughts on tests you feel you need.
What is your dr suggestion for the Graves? I would suggest talking to Stella5349 one of the other co-leaders here, as she was a graves patient. I myself am a hashi patient.
I hope you get to the bottom of the high calcium levels....I think the website will be a wealth of info for you.  :)
What are your free T4 values? How much levothyroxin (levothyroxine) are you taking?
Probably the urine analyses are for calcium determination, that will tell if you have familial  hypocalciuric hypercalcemia , primary hyperparathyroidism or secondary. Did yor doctor asked for phosphatemia (inorganic) , vit D (1,25 (0H)2D)?, for what I can see your doctor knows what he is doing.
Sorry got confused about the levels, are you still hyper? what is you TSH?, didn't notice PTU, sorry, thyrotoxicosis can be the cause of hypercalcemia., forget the levothyroxin (levothyroxine) thing.............
Hi Laura:

Thank you for responding.  Yes I've been under an endo's care for 1 year now for thyroid; that's why this high calcium is blindsighting me.  

Anyway, blood and urine was taken today for tests.  Some test results will be back Monday, but one takes approx 3 weeks and I have a scheduled appt for 1 month.
Hi:

My levels were high, I took PTU and they balanced out.  I was taken off the meds.

The TSH levels rose again and in October I took the Radioactive pill; it didn't work, but
for October, November, December, I took no meds waiting for the levels to drop.  

In January 2009 I was put back on the PTU with dosage increased in February.

I had a vit D problem before and was taking 5 drops/day of 2000 IU/drop.  I stopped and then restarted in January.  They told me to only take 1 drop effective 3 weeks ago.
What do you mean : "My levels were as high as 30". ? is this your TSH?
Can you post your last thyroid levels?
Hi again:

I had to get the report to make sure I was correct:

my TSH level was 0.25 and my calcium level was 10.2

I also had high iron, chlolesterol (good and bad kind).

Candy
Hi --- please ignore the above post; the dr's faxed me the wrong labs -- they were from August 2008 not Feb 2009.

They should be faxing to me shortly and I'll share the numbers.

Candy
Okay here we go:

. calcium    11.0
  . PTH         34
  . TSH        <0.01
  . T4           17.4

Candy