Thyroid Disorders Community
Low TSH and gaining weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low TSH and gaining weight

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in June 2008.  During the year prior to the diagnosis, I went from a weight of 115-118 lbs to 140-145 lbs.  During that time, I was also diagnosed with vitamin B12 deficiency and started on shots.  My initial TSH result was 55.54 in June 2008 and I was put on 100 mcg synthroid daily.  In mid Sep 2008, my TSH was again tested and result was 0.03 and my synthroid was dropped to 88 mcg daily.  For well over a year, I have been on a diet (approx 1000-1200 calories/day) focusing on vegetables, fruits and whole grains.  I work out for at least 30 minutes/day, as well as having a job which requires a large amount of exercise (mostly walking).  In spite of my diet and exercise, my weight had stayed right around 145, but recently has begun to creep up again - it's now 149.  I have talked to my doctor, but have not been given any ideas as to what might still be the problem.  Is there something else that we should be looking for that could be causing this?  Can you give some ideas of things that might help me lose the excess weight.  Since I've never carried this much weight before, it's beginning to affect my feet and knees.  
Thank you
Barb...I gained 16kgs from being on anti-thyroid meds for over 12 months and then had RAI.
I havent lost any weight although I am able to now start exercising more since getting my levels near to normal.
Usually weight gain is from your levels being 'out of whack' or leaning towards hypo.
I am 5ft 1 and weigh 66.4 kgs and prior to diagnosis of Graves and Hyperthyroidism, was 55kgs fluctuating all the time.
I find my knees and feet ache and hurt when I am BOTH nyper and hypo.
Not much help to you but please believe that you are not alone in the weight gain.

Debs
Thanks for your reply.  You were hyper? Now hypo?  I've only been hypo, but sounds like you've had a worse time of it. I just get so discouraged - I'm 5 ft, diet and exercise faithfully and still packing on pounds.  Just feel so bloated and "huge" all the time and probably worse because I'm trying to get it off and no luck.  I've thought of asking dr for anti-depressants, but I hate taking drugs and if I could just get started losing even a couple lbs, I'd feel like there might be hope.  

given the B12 deficiency, I would recommend you be tested for celiac and/or just try a gluten free diet to see if it helps.

People with thryoid and other problems may often also have problems with celiac.  Celiac can make it really hard to lose weight.

Something else to look into...

Hope this helps.
Don't know anything about celiac.  Will do some research, but any info you can pass on would be appreciated.  
Was that TSH test done in the morning?  TSH will be higher first thing in the morning and lwest around 2PM. You always want to test asap upon waking each and every time.  TSH for those on T4 should be around 1.0. (MORNING TSH)

Another thing you can look into is insulin resistance. Also called Prediabetes.  It can make weight loss almost impossible.  I have it, along with the hypothyroidism. To diagnose it, you need a fasting insulin, glucose, and an A1C.  Another test would be a Glucose tolerance test.
Hypo's will store insulinas DNarose says - but another major problem for us is bad carbs.

We store then and in actually they convert to stored sugar. I found one of the better diets to stick to ( and very hard to do since we crave sugar and carbs) is the Zone diet by Dr Sears - or the South Beach plan.

It can no longer be said we will diet though as hypo - it's a life style change.
I had to actually go on Metformin ER to lower my insulin levels. Diet and exercise did not work for me.  It helped me to lose 10 pounds, which wouldn't budge before.  If I can lose another 20 and get my insulin levels lower, the I hope to get off the Metformin.  My insulin level is now a 8. It's was a 17 for years. Another good diet plan is the schwarzbein Principle written by a doctor for her diabetic patients. It's a reduced carb plan.
I never hear of that one.

But if its a reduced carb plan - it is something that is good for us.
My blood tests were done in the morning - they told me it had be fasting.  I have heard of insulin resistance and done just a little research on it - plan to talk to my dr to see if I can get tested.  There's a lot of diabetes in my family, including my son, who was diagnosed @ 10 yrs old with type 1; also have a nephew w/type 1 and 3 siblings w/ type 2 so have figured for years that it was just a matter of time.  My fasting blood sugars are always in the normal range, but have been as high as 99; last one was 88.  

Thanks for the diet suggestions - will research them and in the meantime, I'm upping my workout to 1 hr/day rather than 30 min; also trying to stay with the fruits, veggie's, etc and stay away from a lot of carbs.  Also researching other possibilites for cause to the weight problem.  
Just a few years ao they changed the glucose range. Anything over 99 is considered prediabetes. Seeing you had a reading of 99 have it checked frequently.  Also, see if you can get an insulin test.