Thyroid Disorders Community
Low TSH and history of hypothyroidism and being medicated for 50 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH down to .05 was.14 and primary lowered dose of synthroid; however TSH is LOWER.  My blood pressure has gone up recently also - Going to endocrinologist next week.  This level of TSH is a lot lower than used to be - am I still overmedicated - I have been taking meds for hypothyroidism for 50 years!  I am now 67 years old.
Please try and insist that your MD add Free T3 and Free T4 to the lab work and not just TSH,  Having a TSH supressed is not a bad place to be, most Hypo's do well with the TSH supressed under 1.0, The main issue and the ones that count, are The Free T3 and Free T4, when you take a T4 medication such as Levothyroxine or Synthroid, these are T4 medications, your body converts this T4 into whats called Free T3, this is the actual hormone your system needs to operate, and this is the most important lab needed to prescribe and adjust dosage. TSH should only be used as a rule of thumb to determine if a thyroid issue exists or not, and good thyroid md's always use Free T3 results in the apprach to correct medication
dosage. TSH is a hormone that is sent from the piruitary gland in the brain to the thyroid, its acts like a sensor, when the thyroid hormone  is low, the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone number (TSH) is high, and in reverse, if the Free T3 is high, the TSH is low, the tsh nudges the thyoid to produce more
If you can get your MD to do these two tests, then when the results are in, request a copy, then post each levels and the reference ranges provided with them. Then members can advise and inform you of where you stand in regards to your thyroid and medication. Good Luck FTB4
You're only over medicated if you have symptoms of being hyper.

FTB4 is correct that you need the Free T3 and Free T4 tested, in order to determine medication requirements.  Many of us on thyroid medications have suppressed TSH; mine has lived at < 0.01 for the past 5 yrs and I've never been hyper.

Do you know if you have Hashimoto's?
Thanks!  I know about the T3 and T4 - my primary did not even suggest I go to an Endocrinologist and was not really interested in doing th T3 and T4.  I am interested in what the Endo has to say -
PS not happy that primary did not want to do t3 and t4 - showed me she wasn't very thorough.
was only ever diagnosed as having hypothyroid - never hashimoto's -
Hashimoto's is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the developed world.  You should have antibody tests done to see if you have it.

When asking for T3 and T4, always be sure to specify FREE T3 and FREE T4, otherwise you will get total T3 and total T4, which are not the same.  Total T3 and total T4 are considered obsolete and of little value.