Thyroid Disorders Community
Low Testosterone and Hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low Testosterone and Hypothyroidism

To: doctornee medical
My husband has been fighting a low testosterone level for some time now.  He has seen an endo who has diagnosed him with hypothyroidism. He has been receiving treatments of Synthroid and Androgel.  Unfortunately, as his TSH levels go up, his T levels are going down:
DATE     T TSH
12/20/2006  222 3.397
2/5/2007   182 n/a
5/12/2007    251 4.74
8/28/2007   240 4.139
12/10/2007  388 3.849
3/18/2007   273 3.909
6/16/2008   170 2.888
9/17/2008   n/a 2.382

He is now taking 112mcg of Synthroid daily along with Androgel.
His PSA came back negative.
He does not have any ED symptoms, but his testicles have reduced in size.
He has low energy (from a man who was always on the go), sweats, memory problems (from a man who had an impressive memory), has had a few dizzy episodes, has been having continuous headaches for the last several months and is starting to have some breathing problems.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Low thyroid hormone activity often results in insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is another factor that reduces testosterone production. It interferes with LH production and may also directly reduce testicular testosterone production. I'm sure the ENDO asked for:
LH, FSH,
He should also test for free T3, free T4, free testosterone (total is Ok, but just to compare), DHT and estradiol levels. People with hypothyroidism sometimes have problems in absorpsion of transdermic testosterone because of the skin become thick. Whish is the dose of androgel? 5g? 10g??
I'm going to double my dose. Your husband and I are in very similar situations. I'm 30, and have been on synthroid (.112) for 15 years. I began testosterone (testim 1%)  2 1/2 years ago. I have hoshimoto's thyroiditus, which I was told is what brought my Testosterone problem on.

The doctors tell me my testosterone problem is idiopathic. Thats not good enough, I want to know exactly why Im taking this Testim.

I recently had a change in testosterone and have felt very fatigued. I was on 1 tube a day, and had a normal blood level of 1100. I recently got checked and the doc said I was at 750 and should increase it to 2 tubes a day. Im going to try it, I hope this gets me back to normal.

Does anyone know who or where to go to to find out WHY we have these testosterone problems?
I think his relative lack of response to androgel indicates that a large ammount of his testosterone is being converted to estrogen/estradiol and this in turn is causing an increase in globulin bound thyroid. Maybe do additional tests to check it. Blocking aromatase would be a step to take if this is the case. Bear in mind I have no idea what i'm talking about but want to sound smart. Good luck.
i'm am 29 years old and just found out that i have a thyroid condition, i am now taking .25mcd synthroid but i'm curious if i may have a testosterone problem as well because i'm tired all the time, don't want to have sex or work out anything just overall lack of not giving a damn. you know, my question is that will the synthroid make every thing start working correctly.
PLease trust me..you do NOT want to be on Synthroid. I have a son and a husbnad with thyroid issues..please please understand that your Dr. was NOT TAUGHT the right information in Med school and is now messing with your life. There is hope..I've seen my hubby change his life. Synthroid is NOT GOINGTO WORK FOR ABOUT 75% of people... the BigPharma drug companies have told Docs to use when it DOES NOT MAKE MOST PEOPLE FEEL WELL! And it will keep you sick. Read Stop the thyroid maddness website and also the National  academy of Hypothyroidism and you will see that you should be on Dessicated Thyroid Medication and also possibly Cytomel and you need a DIFFERENT set of tests run. DO the entire list of tests and you will start to know how to get better. PLEASE IGNORE your DR. when they say you are "in range"..in range can make you feel like you are dying. read the sites! The Stop the thyroid maddness site will list all the tests you need run and the supplements you MUST be on. Good luck
Amour Thyroid is a naturally derived thyroxine from pigs. I have been on this for 2 1/2 years and have no side effects from the medication (now at 90mg per day) . For Low T I inject 1ml of testosterone cypionate (200mg/ml) each week. To avoid the complications for estrogen conversion I take 1mg of ansatrozole 1x per week. I agree, you should find a better DR. who listens to your concerns.
Im 24 & came across a low thyroid problem one year ago and now facing testosterone problems im at total of 304 and I am having sex problems too.I told my regular dr. About sayd it was all in my head tht everything was okay. I went to another place were they do hormone test and took my own list of test I wanted done im not gona lie there were like 20 test I wanted done amr they were just missing 2 tht ran me around $600... I still havent gone to get my results....  by the way im on armour thyroid 30mg.
This thyroid n testosterone issue suck...
Ill post my results and see what happens....
I wish all to get better on this....
24 and total testosterone of only 304?
uh, 304 is too damn low!
304 is the testosterone level of a 100 year old man.
the "normal" range doctors go by is 1000-300...a range created by gathering test subjects made up of random men between the ages of 20 to 100 years of age. The average 20 year old's average testosterone level is around 1000. the average 100 year old man's testosterone level is around 300.
in other words you have the testosterone levels of an old impotent geezer! your docs are dumb, stupid, inept, incompetent frauds. they don't know wht they are doing, and its screwing up your health. they aren't taking into account your age, height, and weight in accessing your blood work!
as usual, endos are useless.
look up testosterone levels by age group, print out image flowcharts, make a paper plane out of it, and toss it at your knuckleheaded doctor and ask him/her why they are screwing up your life by being so damn ignorant.