Thyroid Disorders Community
Low body temp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low body temp

I'm still waiting (and wishing) that my body temp would go up after switching to dessicated in May after being on T4 for ten years. Dessicated has lowered my muscle and joint pain and blood pressure. Digestive is way better. Still cold, and are reminded of this as winter is starting.

Take basel temp (arm pit) in the morning - 96.7 to 97.5 is my range. Tried digital and liquid thermos.

I read all about Dr (Watsons?) syndrome and temp charts. My temp has not gone up at all. Fingers went numb out side at only 25F last month. I really hate it when it gets below 0, and that will be soon.

I get a new thyroid lab this week, its been OK for a while. I will make sure its in the morning , before my meds this time!

My BP and heart rate are, once again, great, so I dont see how it could be circulation related. My cholesterol lab stuff is also really good.

Any one else like this? Any advice / experience with this? What else could it be?

thanks
LM
Basal temperature is a useful indicator of thyroid problems, to be considered along with symptoms and levels of the actual thyroid hormones, FT3 and FT4.  My own experience has been that thyroid meds increased my basal temp from the 96.8-97 level up to 97.4-97.6.  But my results were fairly consistent.  Your inconsistent readings brought to mind some info that I had seen  a while back.  It suggested that while levels seem to increase with increasing thyroid meds, variability might be related to adrenal issues.  We hear from members with adrenal issues related to being hypo.  Here is the link.  Might be something worth checking out, along with assuring that the levels of FT3 and FT4 are adequate.

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-temperature-graph#directions

In my post, I meant to say Wilson's Syndrome not Watson's, I was close.

At night, It has been down to 95.7 (around 11:30), but not since spring.

I did have a 4 point 24 hour saliva adrenal test, I was a little low in the afternoon only.

So you dont even get up to 98? hmm. Do you get abnormally cold hands and feet in cold weather? I was not like this years ago. I do a lot of outdoor things, so it does present its own limitations.

I'll see what my thyroid lab #'s are soon.
Dr. Broda Barnes reported many years ago that the normal basal temperature (in the armpit, before getting out of bed or moving around much in the morning), was 97.8-98.2.   I  have never quite gotten to that range, although I am still making minor tweaks to my meds.  But even at the basal temp. of 97.5, i am not cold any longer.  My normal walking around temperature is more like 98.5.
Cold weather doesn't bother me nearly as much anymore.  With my FT3 now up to 3.5, (range of 2.3-4.2), and FT4 up to 1.05 (range of .60-1.5), I am feeling best ever.    
Meant to mention that if you haven't read the numerous posts on the Forum about the vital importance of FT3 and FT4, then I suggest that you insist that your doctor check for FT3 and FT4 levels.  These are the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones that largely regulate metabolism and many other body functions.    Doctors always test for TSH and frequently for TT4 and sometimes TT3.  The tests for Totals are somewhat antiquated and not very useful compared to the "Frees".  

I'm sure that with Hashi's in your background that you are probably already on meds.  With your remaining symptoms I suspect that your doctor has probably been medicating you based on TSH, or if he has happened to test for FT3 and FT4 in the past, and you still have symptoms, then you will need to get him to continue to test and adjust FT3 and FT4 levels with meds, to whatever levels are required to alleviate your symptoms, without being constrained by TSH level.
I was on T4 about ten years, symptoms were getting worse. Switched to dessicated this spring.

Am aware of the importance of frees. I think he was going by TSH, but I suspect he might be going by symptoms now. I will find out soon, lab this thurs.