Thyroid Disorders Community
Low energy,weight gain after thyroidectomy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Low energy,weight gain after thyroidectomy

I will be seeing my internist soon.  Had thyroidectomy 11/07.  Surgeon put me on 150 mcg levothyroxine.  I felt so wonderful.  I was losing weight and had lots of energy.  My eyebrows grew back in, and I thought life was good. Then my dr had TSH test done.  He said that my levels showed I was hyperthyroid, and he cut my levothyroxine back to 125 mcg.   That's when things started going badly for me.  Next was another tsh tests, which still showed hyperthyroid.  He cut me back to 100 mcg.  Now I feel awful, can't remember anything, don't feel like exercising, and I am gaining weight.  I know something is wrong, but I don't know what it is or what to do about it.  My doctor is a great person, and he listens to what I have to say, but he is relying on the tsh test.  I asked him to let me have a test on Free T3 and T4, which he did.  I didn't realize that I should have told him Free T4 also.  Can this make a difference.  I have been told by a person who also had thyroid issues that maybe I should have pituitary gland and adrenal gland tests.  What do you say?  Can you give me some ideas of what I should next discuss with my doctor, who is an internist.  Thank you very much!  wandy07