Thyroid Disorders Community
Low potassium and thyroid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low potassium and thyroid?

Hello Thyroid Family,

I went to the doctor last week  for a check up.  I already knew that  my potassium was low, due to all the cramping and muscle tingling.  The word today is that the potassium is very very low.

My question is:  Does having thyroid issues cause low potassium problems.  My body cramps so bad that sometimes I have to call out for assistance to pry hand fingers apart have some push me along since my legs get so stiff its l have turned to stone.

I had low potassium before and had to be hospitalized.  At that time, I could see, lost my balance and my body cramped and tingled.  They gave me a potassium drink and potassioum IV for 3 days.  They then tested me for Cushing's Disease.

The  thing is, I eat all the most of the food need to help bring the potassium level up  and I take a supplement and its still low.

I feel as if my body is betraying me day by day.  

Take care and thanks
Terri