Thyroid Disorders Community
Lugol's solution and amazing results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Lugol's solution and amazing results

I've been taking .75mcg levothyroxine for about a year now and have just crossed over line to diabetes type 2 controlled with diet so far.  Just started on Lugol's solution 220mcg iodine/250mcg potassium iodide on skin.  Have had amazing results already in that energy levels are way up, sleeping through night, not eating nearly as much, pants are getting too large - all in a week.  Daughter's having same results (thyroid problems run in family).  Has anyone else tried this?  Results?  I sure hope it's not placebo effect.  
I never heard of it.
From what I gather, it is an iodine replacement with pottassium in it.
Be very careful you do not go hyer on it.
Most Pharmacists will only sell a 200ml bottle to a person every 60 days as a lot of athletes use it to lose weight and risk of thyroid storm without a Doctors advise on dosage.
I would be talking to your Doctor about it to make sure it is safe with the thyroxin replacement you are already taking.
I would be worried about going Hyper.
Thanks for the warning re: going hyper.  I'm only doing one drop transdermally once in a.m. and once at noon.  They say you're supposed to go up one drop per week until you get to between 10 and 30 drops per day.  This is not the strong Lugol's evidently; this is sold in 30ml quantity, and I think this will last about 3 months at the rate I'm using it.   When I asked the pharmacist, he said that it was ok with the levo since it was nutritional, but I'm thinking that if this continues to work as well as it is, I'll try to start halving my med at least as I go up with this.  Going to doc for bloodwork end of Dec. so will see what that looks like and what he says.  
I forgot to mention that this is based on a Dr. David Brownstein's books - anyone every hear of him?  I'd like to hear both positive and negative if anyone has any experience with this.  Thanks.
There are a lot of beneficial uses of Lugol's iodine....including using it for microbial uses even. Some hypothyroidism is caused by iodine deficiency, and the user definately can benefit from it. You can know how deficient you are by doing the scratch skin test with it, or have yourself tested. I had a hair analysis done which showed I was not iodine deficient. Yes you need to keep a close eye on your thyroid levels as you use this. It sounds like you are taking it nice and slow and your blood work is going to be done in december, so that is good. I have a friend who is a doctor and swears by Lugol's for himself.
In Australia, Lugols is only used for 'block and replace'.
Its not used if you already are thyroxin replacement so be careful. I'd hate to see you muck up on it.
How long does it stay in the bloodstream?
Sorry, I'm a worrywart and got a history of A-Fib and Thyroid Storm and going hyper too fast (drug sensitive) so would completely research it.
I hate to see good work 'undone' as so often happens.
Let us know how you go.
I'm not being negative, just cautious.
Forgot to ask....do you have a thyroid that still has function?
Hashis or Graves , RAI or TT?
I've been taking the pill form of Lugols for about 6 months now and I've seen a huge difference in my energy level.  Mythyroid levels have remained unchanged, but I feel so much better. I take 1/2 of a iodorol pill daily with my thyroid meds.
Evidently, since I only take .75mcg of levo and was not far over the line, I must have a thyroid that still functions.  Does that matter?  I'm far from as informed as I'd like to be on all this and will certainly read here on other posts to try to catch up some too.  
Thanks so much for letting me know that you're taking it too.  If you don't mind my asking, how much of thyroid meds do you take?  So, I think the iodoral pill comes after the drops once a person has built up for awhile.  About how many drops does a pill correspond to?  Perhaps the pharm was right then when he said it didn't matter about the meds with this.

Just out of curiosity, did you find that you slept better?  Any weight loss?  Sorry, just so excited to hear from someone else who's gone this route.
There's a great iodine forum on yahoo if you want more info.  Dr Brownstein's book is pretty good as well.
That's encouraging to hear - about your doc friend who swears by it!  Thanks, Laura.
Didn't cover everything in reply above - I don't know how long it stays in bloodstream - I do know that it's best to take one in a.m., one at noon and nothing after about 4 or 5 p.m. as one won't sleep then is what I hear anyway.  I certainly wouldn't want anyone trying it and having a bad reaction - that was one reason I was asking questions here.  Think I'll mosey on over to that yahoo site if I can find it, Dnaraose.  

One thing that I was told was to take a vitamin B complex with it to ward off symptoms of shakes that might not be hyper related?  I need to get Brownstein's books and read them too.  
Here is the link to the iodine group -> http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/iodine/

Some people take natural sea salt and vitamin C while using the iodine.  There's a lot of info on the site.
Thanks so much!
Last night I purchased Iodoral off of ebay, which is the capsule form. From what I read, I don't believe Lugol's Solution is sold in the U.S. as I don't believe it's legal?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iodoral-180-Tablets-Includes-Iodine-Testing-Coupon_W0QQitemZ160293895042QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item160293895042&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
A health food store owner told me to try it, however both my doctor and the pharamacist at the pharmacy that sells it here,  told me not to use it if I am on thyroid medication already...
Actually, this is not Lugol's but similar, I think.  This is a homeopathic mixture of 200mcg iodine and 250mcg pottasium iodide - I think from what I've read since I posted the first time that Lugol's is a much stronger mixture.  According to the pharm, it's almost necessary to not start with the Iodoral since the tabs are so strong, but to start with the solution and put on wrist and rub in (transdermal) one drop per a.m. and one drop per noon, first week, then 2 drops per a.m. and 2 drops per noon second week and so on - I plan to just see how that goes - little bit by little bit - I'd be scared to just jump in on tabs that are 12.5 mg and so strong.  Each drop of solution is only one fifth of a mg.  
Thanks, Julianne - the pharm here told me it didn't matter about the combination - I plan to get Dr. Brownstein's book and see what he's saying about it - reasons, etc.  So far, so good on mine, but I'm only on 3 drops a day for this week - taking it slowly.  I am confused about the difference between the .75mcg levo I take as med and this as nutritional addition.