Thyroid Disorders Community
Lump on thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Lump on thyroid

I'm 43 years old went into the dr for a routine exam. She noticed a lump on the left side if my throat which she said was on my thyroid.She ordered blood test cbc and a thyriod test.. Nurse has called and said that my tests were normal. DR tested my T4 -  was 1.20 and TSH was 0.80 didn"t test my T3 said if the other 2 were normal my T3 would be also. They did schedule me for a ultrasound which I do on Monday the 13th. My dad had throat cancer when he was 46 ( he did smoke ) and his mom had a goiter. What I don't understand is if it's on my thyroid how is everything normal. I have nights sweats and pain in both my wrists .At night and sometimes during the day I will get leg cramps. I have days where I feel dizzy or just off balance. I have been having some anxiety. I also have a feeling of something stuck in my throat and sharp ears pain that comes and goes plus a stinging around my collar bone also have depression and mood swings. Can it be my thyroid when the test are normal or do I need to see a different doctor. The lump is not sore and when I swollow it moves up and down.

I'm very worried. Thanks for your time.

Carol

Carol,  I had a lump or they call then on my thyroid also and had an ultrasound and then a fine needle biopsy.  Nodules are pretty common on the thyroid but it is important to follow up on it.  I had similar symptoms to you so make sure you get the biopsy.  Most nodules are not cancerous 95%, but they can be.  Mine came back as suspicious for cancer and I was shocked.  Good news is that it is very treatable and if you do have it and very slow growing.  Do not wait on it and get all the information you can before doing anything drastic.  If you want to know more feel free to write more and I will answer all I can.  And if you want to talk to me privately I will give you my email so you can write.  Hang in there, the chances are you do not have cancer and if you do, it can be taken care of and is the best kind to get if you were to get any.
Thanks for responding so quick. I'm pretty scared. I'm praying its not cancer but if it is its good to know its treatable. I'll let you know when I get the results of the ultrasound. If the doctor says the ultrasound shows it looks like just a cyst should I still request a biopsy?

Carol

Hi, Im exactly in the same position as you right now! Exactly! Read my post I just posted. I have a right sided lump, normal TFT's but loads of symptoms like yours. Ive also asked can it still be that the lump could still be turn out to just be an under or overactive thyroid that just hasnt had chance to show up in my bloods yet. And i have the same family history. And im also having urgent scan on Tuesday!!! AND Im also totally terrified so you're not alone xxx
In regard to the cyst question, a cyst is fluid filled, it can't be cancer.  Cancer is a solid lump or a mixed lump.  It needs blood flow to survive, so a solid vascular lump is more suspicious than a fluid filled cyst.  There are other factors that weigh into the diagnosis, but most of the time, they can't be sure until they remove it if warranted.  Wait for the Ultrasound, then go from there.  Time is on your side, I waited more than 8 months for a diagnosis, I had nodules for at least 9 years before I got my diagnosis.
I'll keep you in my prayers. Let me know how your ultrasound goes. I don't think they have scheduled me for a biopsy yet. The doctor wanted to see the ultrasound results first. But I'm like you if it's not my thyroid causing the issue then what is it. I think I'm going to ask to be refered to a endo doctor at Vanderbilt  Hospital in Nashville.
I'm just seeing a regular doctor right now. I think I would feel better  seeing someone who deals with thyroid issues everyday. I'll keep you posted once I get my ultrsound done.

Carol
I am a male and I have two lumps on my thyroid. One on the left and one on the right.  My right one is bigger then the left.   I did the ultrasound twice and the doctor told me its no threat right now. The one on the right is very slow growing and the one on the left just showed up on my current ultrasound. The one on the right is about "2.1" and the one on the left is about "1.4"  I have done my blood test twice and both times it came up normal.  The doctor classified it as a "Goiter"My symthoms are... I am always clearing my throat. From time to time I will start coughing due to the filling of something stuck in my throat - note I have eaten anything to cause this.   My hands tend to shake sometimes and yes i do fill of balance every now and then.  I tell the doctor. but all test continue to come up normal.  On another note my mom had her thyroid removed around the age of 40.  I am currently 37.
This is a very old thread and murphy496 has not been active on the forum in some time, so it's unlikely you will get a response to your question.

You would get a much better response to your questions if you start a new thread of your own.  You can do that by clicking the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page, then when you've typed your question, click the green "Post a Comment" button.

May of us have goiters - a goiter is simply a swollen thyroid.  Many of us also have nodules (lumps) on our thyroid; most of the time, they are nothing to worry about.  It's very rare to need thyroid removal because of a goiter or nodules.  Why did your mother have hers removed?

What tests are you getting that keep coming back normal?  Is your doctor only testing TSH, or is he testing the active hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  Please post actual results, and be sure to include reference ranges, as those vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.

You should also get tested for thyroid antibodies, Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGab), to determine whether or not you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is the most prevalent cause of hypothyroidism in the developed world. If you think you might be hyper rather than hypo, you should Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin (TSI) test.  It's not unusual for symptoms to be present and still have normal labs.