Thyroid Disorders Community
Lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Lupus

I dont have lupus, but a friend of mine found out she does and she is 20.  She is going to call me this week to talk.  I have read about it and it looks very similiar to hashimotos except the rash and skin issues.   Is there anything else different besides the rash?  Is it usually treated the same way hashi's is treated or graves?  (or could go either way).   I am just trying to learn more about this to help her where i can.  
thanks
While some of the symptoms are similar, Lupus is completely different from Hashimoto's. Whereas Hashi's only attacks thyroid tissue, lupus can/does attack every organ in the body.  

It is not treated anywhere near the same as Hashi.  There are a variety of drugs that are used to control it, but thyroid replacement is not one of them, unless the person would happen to also have a thyroid issue, which is actually very common, since once a person has one autoimmune, the chances of getting another are greater.

My daughter has lupus; there's a ton of information about it.  You might try looking at the Mayo Clinic website.  They used to have really good information about it.
In what I understand Lupus, MS and Hashi only have similiarities as an "inflammatory"autoimmune condition but the effects on the body are entirely different.

I think advising your friend to develop a personal support group of family and friend members to pick apart and analyze the smallest mynoot events in her life and way out the medical research information available to see if she can "connect the dots" at all since this dx. Sometimes researching the individual - vs - the condition - can uncover alot more than any doctor will do as this takes an enormous amount of time docs really do not have anymore.

A team of caring partners that have spent a long period of time with the person is ideal.

Then take all findings to the health care provider to discuss any theories and possible unique treatment options available.
A good friend of my ex neighbour has lupus. She only felt better when she switched from seeing conventional doctor to a naturopath and changed her diet.  I wasn't surprised however since i had come across the website The Lupus Recovery Diet by Jill Harrington. This is just one of the comments on The Lupus Recovery website....

"This book should be required reading for every lupus patient. After following this program for six months, I am no longer taking Prednisone, Plaquenil or Advil; my joint pain is gone, my skin looks great and I feel good.

The book explains what works and outlines strategies for changing your lifestyle. I know it sounds too good to be true, but it’s very true.  The information in this book changed my life."
Geez what a mess.   I know she had the big purple rash on her chest, that is now gone.  Her hair was falling out, now its all there.  Honestly I was just curious as she kept asking me for help and i didnt have a clue.  thanks