Lymphocytic Thyroiditis
I have Lymphocytic Thyroiditis w/ a goiter & multi nodules. The FNB showed it to be a cyst with "rare syncytial clusters of follicular cells present".

I've looked on the internet for syncytial and can only find reference for respiratory.  Can you help me to understand the meaning of this?

Thanks in advance for any information. Linda
Hmmmm not sure anybody on the patient to patient forum will have an answer but worth a try .... you may want to try Dr. Lupo on the Expert Forum ..  he is excellent Endocrinologist ... in the meantime, as it is difficult sometimes to get a post there, let's see if anybody knows here, but wanted to stop by to mention it may be a tough answer here.

I do know that "rare" is a good word .. I had Rare Clusters of atypical urine cells show up a few yrs ago ... turns out they were inflammatory in nature and not cancerous .. took two cystoscopes and two high level DNA Urine tests to confirm it wasn't cancer .. but the word Rare was good as it was not many .. there is another term when the rare gets larger in # but I cannot recall it right now .. when mine became more than rare that is when they repeated my tests. BTW, turned out the cells were atypical inflammatory in nature due to kidney stones moving around and changing the lining of the inside of the kidneys and shedding funky looking cells.

Back to the thyroid -sorry on that divertion - keep us posted on your quest for knowledge in your FNA report .. my FNA was atypical for follicular cells and turned out to be an overgrowth of thyroid tissue called follicular adenomas.

Cheryl (partial 1/07)