Thyroid Disorders Community
MD says no to Armour; switch to Synthroid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have a new doctor (3rd in 5 yrs) as my previous MD have retired or left the clinic.  I started on Synthroid ~10 years ago with good response until my hair started thinning considerably about 5 yrs ago.  Was told that it could be a side effect of the Synthroid. Switched to Armour and took Evening Primrose Oil which seemed to relieve my hair thinning and I consider my hair fine now. TSH were usually bet .75 & 1.5.

New MD won't prescribe Armour (unreliable, inconsistency potency doses between batches) even though my previous 2 MD at the same clinic did

My TSH is now 4.86 and haven't had it tested for a year. MD didn't order T3 or T4 levels.  I probably miss at least 1 dose every week.   So I have a dilemma of seeking out another doctor or Naturopathic doctor who would continue to prescribe the Armour at perhaps higher doses or sticking with current MD and switching to Synthroid.

My prior doctors were opened to my requests, but this new doctor is overworked and considerably less accommodating or open.  She wanted to make me wait until my appointment with her next week to review my labs with her. I had to exercise my right to my own medical records to get them today.  I sure don't want to walk into a doctor's appt blind to what we need to discuss.

I had been very negative to switching to Synthroid, but now my TSH elevated I'm not so sure.  Looking for imput.
Unfortunately your new doctor sounds like one of those that may not always be right, but never consider they could be wrong about anything.  She is wrong about Armour, and it is probably just an excuse for her to insist on T4 meds only, like so many other doctors do.  Unfortunately again, many hypo patients do not adequately convert T4 meds to T3.  You apparently had this problem in the past.

Since Free T3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions it is the most important thyroid related hormone.   Scientific studies have also shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms.  Many members, myself included, say that symptom relief required Free T3 in the upper third of its range and Free T4 around the middle of its range.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.  In the letter, please note the statement, "the ultimate
criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

So, I expect that you are wasting your time with the new doctor.  You need to find a good thyroid doctor thqt will treat clinically, as described in the link.