Thyroid Disorders Community
Male with Hypo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Male with Hypo

I was dx with Hypo back in JAN at the age of 38 with a TSH level of of 11.2 and Free T4 of .94(within range).  My mom was dx with Hypo about 10 years ago and has been on medication since.  Though I was prescribed .25mg of Synthroid by my family doctor, I chose not to take it and instead chose the accupuncture route.  After a couple of treatments and six months later, my blood tests showed that my TSH level dropped to 9.9 (improved) but my Free T4 dropped to .83 (within range but worse). I was really hoping for better results.  Its weird to be told you have a disorder yet don't feel like you have any external symptoms except for moodiness and feeling tired at times.  I, however, have been dx with high cholesterol(LDL) which my doctor says is linked to the Hypo.  I am grateful that I do not suffer from the bad side effects so many have listed but wonder how bad a 9.9 is.  I have reluctantly started taking the Synthroid again to see if my TSH level improves to the correct range faster than the accupuncture.  I am also hoping that my LDL Cholesterol improves.  I will keep you posted.  
Sorry, but acupuncture is not going to solve your hypothyroidism.  The drop in TSH was insignificant.  TSH is a  pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that it is inadequate as a diagnostic for thyroid.  At best it is an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also the levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  Even though your FT4 result was within the so-called "normal" range, this may not be adequate for YOU.  The ranges are too broad.  Many of our members report that symptom relief for them required that Free T3 was adjusted into the upper part of its range and Free T4 adjusted to around the midpoint of its range.  

So the first thing I would suggest is to get some additional testing done.  Specifically you should request testing for Free T3, along with Free T4 and TSH,  each time you go in for an appointment.  FT3 is the most important thyroid hormone test because FT3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while FT4 and TSH correlated very poorly.  If the doctor resists testing for FT3, then you should insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  

Since the major cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, you should also be tested for the thyroid antibodies which are TPO ab and TG ab.  If you do have Hashi's, then that would be consistent with your FT4 level dropping.  With Hashi's your body somehow decides that your thyroid glands are "foreign" and the autoimmune system starts producing antibodies that attack the glands.  Over an extended period of time, the glands are destroyed, requiring gradually increasing amounts of thyroid meds to offset the loss of natural thyroid.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results. If you want to know more about clinical treatment, this is a good link.  The letter was written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he consults with from a distance.  The letter is sent to the PCP of the patient to help guide treatment.  

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

AT your next appointment I suggest that you give a copy of the above link to your doctor and find out if he is willing to test for Free T3, TPO ab and TG ab, and treat you clinically as described in the letter.  If he is not willing then you are going to need to find a good thyroid doctor that will do so.