Thyroid Disorders Community
Mass on Thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Mass on Thyroid

I had an ultrasound done on my thyroid three weeks ago.  Had to call several times to get results and after three weeks was told the test shows a mass on the thyroid.  My primary physician called to give me the results.  Of course I was very upset not knowing for three weeks and I would think that the sooner I get further testing and possibly on medication is urgent, although she didn't seem that concerned.  I now have an appointment with an ENT in a week and with an Endocrinologist in two weeks.  I have gained lots of weight in the past year and really eat very little, maybe the thyroid problem could be the reason. Should I not be overly upset since the doctor is not?

I am having the same issue. Got two nodulars one 0.9mm and anothe 1.1cm . My Dr seems to be less concerned since the other result is ok. She said, I would need biopsy if it gets bigge than 2cm. I am having a 2nd opinion...so take it easy and ask for a second opinion. Let us know what you found out and I will do the same. I also gained 20lbs in just a year....unfortunately, thyroid mess up your metabolism so weaigh gain is given....sorry...best of luck!
Hi there, you have issues to deal with, and one being, what type of mass was on the ultrasound? There are many many reasons for masses on thyroids. Many people have nodules on their thyroids and never even know!, nor have any symptoms.
The issue is; if it is small they will more than likely leave it alone. If it is larger, then a biopsy will probably be done.
The weight issue could well be thyroid related. You would need full thyroid testing though to show that. It is a blood test. Free T3, Free T4, TSH and antibodies. You would be wise to get that done before the endocrinologist appointment and take the results with you. A, it will save time, as endo appointments are notoriously difficult to get even after your first visit, and B, it will show them a bigger picture to diagnose you correctly.
  Cheers!
I would think you primary doctor could have told you more details other than a mass on the thyroid. Many of us have thyroid nodules, usually its not as bad as it sounds. Thyroid meds are really daily thyroid hormone replacement, not meant for treating nodules. Their is no med for that, but sometimes when on proper thyroid dose, the nodules stop growing.

So you should have TSH Free T3 and Free T4 tested.
Thyroid Nodules are very common and alot of people have them knowingly and unknowingly. While it is proven that only 5% of nodules are cancer, only a biopsy can determine that.

A endocrinologist is the doctor to go to. Be sure to bring your ultrasound results and knowledge of history. It would be helpful to know if anyone in your family had thyroid issues.

You will more than likely have an uptake scan to determine the function of the thyroid and also a fna (fine needle biopsy) to determine the cells inside of the nodule.