Thyroid Disorders Community
Methimazole - What should I expect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Methimazole - What should I expect?

I have been prescribed Methimazole 10mg twice a day for my overactive thyroid.  What should I expect?  How long might it take to get regulated?  Did it work for you?  Any suggestions/
I also took methimazole twice a day until I opted for a TT for Graves. It worked almost immediately for me. I was sooooo sick with the symptoms of Graves when I finally went to the endo. I also took a beta blocker for heart palps and that helped, too. I did start to gain a little weight, but I was loosing at an alarming rate before. I looked like a walking zombie and felt horrid. I missed a month of work because I was so sick, but my gp never tested my thyroid and tried to treat the diaharha and anxiety with meds and anti depressants. Anyway...you will feel better quickly. I honestly think I felt back to normal in about a week. I stopped the beta blockers in a month or two after that because my heart calmed down. I truely thought I could take methimazole forever and feel fine. My endo said....no way...12-18 months tops and then either rai or surgery. I would have liked to just take the pills.
usually if your levels havent stabilised after 12 months on Methimazole then its time to start thinking of other treatments.
Use the time wisely to research all you can about Graves, Hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidsim, RAI and Thyroidiectomy.
Make sure you get yr bloods done every 4 weeks as the MMI will block the thyroid function and you can go hypo on these meds very quickly.
You need to decrease/increase with each lab test and should yr heart be racing and beating hard, you need to ask your Doc for a beta blocker until the MMI kicks in (so to speak).
I was on this for nearly 12 months and went from hyper to hypo every 2 weeks due to high medication sensitivity.
Some do well on this med, some dont.
I had RAI a year ago this month and havent looked back.
Just make sure your Doc checks your liver enzymes as this med can cause liver toxicity but the count usually has to be in the 1000's for it to be damaging.
I read somewhere this week that MMI and CBZ (Carbimazole) are the preferred meds for Graves as PTU has serious side effects with the liver.
Research all you can about Graves Disease as there is so much to learn and this will help you understand the condition a lot better.
Good Luck :)
Good to see you here again!  I was on methimazole for a short time, 2 months.  It was the only thing that stopped my hands from shaking.  I also gained 5 lbs. very quickly.  It was really no big deal to me, but my endo seemed really disgusted with my weight gain.  He said, "You have to be more careful what you eat."  Really?  I think if he really did specialize in thyroid disorders while in med school, he would know that it's not the food, it's the hormones that cause the weight gain.
The methimazole is going to give you and your thyroid some time to sort this out.  Hopefully it's thyroiditis and will resolve over the next year or so.
Be sure to tell your Dr. if you start feeling hypo.  You might need to reduce meds later.  It feels really good to sleep again!
Waiting this out is the hard part.  There is no quick fix to anything thyroid.
Thank you all for the replies.  My questions are more towards the symptoms/side effects and how quickly/slowly will I notice a difference and if there is anything specific that I need to watch for.  I started the meds last night.  This morning I had some nausea after taking it, then this afternoon I had no appetite (which was a good thing), I also was tired and felt as though I was coming down from racing.  When I say comeing down from racing, it is like I have been on a daytime cold medicine that revved me up and when it wears off I am left feeling sluggish and light headed/airie feeling.  Does it work this fast?  Are these similar symptoms that you experienced?  I assume that since I am hyper and this med is to block/counter that, then I will feel as though I am coming down from racing?  Does that make sense?  Truthfully, my symptoms aren't that bad.  They are just bad enough to know they are there and only truly show themselves when I am stressed or really busy.  I'm wondering if I should even be on meds.  Am I in denial?  I think I am borderline depressed.  The tests that have been done so far do confirm that I have an overactive thyroid but they aren't extreme.

Blood was drawn before I left.  I go back in 3 weeks for a follow-up and to see if the meds need adjusting.  They don't think I have Graves but they are testing for it.

The new Endo that I went to on Friday, said I was not very symptomatic.  Their main concern was the heart palpitations, which mine have minimized.   They are thinking that it might be Thyroiditis and will heal on its own.  Is it normal to treat Thyroiditis with Methimazole?  Are they appeazing me since I went to them for a second opinion?  Maybe I am just paranoid that someone might think I am nuts LOL!

Thanks again!
It is normal to treat thyroiditis with Methimazole and depending on how drug sensitive you are, depends on how fast the meds work.
I am super drug sensitive and found I felt better within 2-3 days each time the dose was changed.
Let us know how yr testing for Graves goes.
Hope that helps .
I threw up my methimiazole on day three, but learned to take it by itself in the morning or with coffee and never had a problem since. Now 2 1/2 years in I am on a very low dose and can take with anything.

Some people report hives on the meds and I can say my skin is itchier than normal, but other than that I haven't had many side effects. It beats being hyper!  It took about a month for most of my hyper symptoms to resolve- but I felt better each day.  The medication is a tricky one to regulate, so definitely get regular blood draws.
HI WELL IT'S PRETTY SCARY STARTING OFF ON MED'S,BUT IT WILL BE FINE KEEP GETING BLOOD'S DONE EVERY 4 WEEK'S TO STAY ON TOP OF THYROID.AFTER 8 WEEK'S ON METHIMIAZOLE I WENT HYPO SO CUT DOWN ON TABLET'S,I ONLY TAKE 10MG A DAY IF YOU HAVE A COLD IT THROW'S THE TABLET'S OFF A BIT THAN SETTLE'S BACK DOWN,SO GO TO DOC AND SEE HOW YOUR LEVEL'S ARE DOING I HAD BAD MIGRAINE 3 WEEK'S AGO SENT ME HYPO FOR A WEEK NOW DOC SAID MY LEVELS HAVE SETTLED BACK TO NORMAL,8 MONTH'S MED'S NOW SO WILL BE COMING OFF MED'S IN 4 MONTH'S DOC TO SEE IF I CAN GO IT ALONE FINGER'S CROSSED.MOST PEOPLE SALE ALONG ON MED'S I HAD A FEW BUMP'S ALONG THE WAY,BUT SETTLED DOWN.TRY AND KEEP POSITAVE I NO WHEN YOUR FELLING BAD IT'S HARD. :-) XX TAKE CARE ANN4512
I started taking methimazole about three weeks ago.  So far I haven't had too many adverse side effects.  I started breaking out on my face, they itch minimally.  It just ***** that its on my face.  I want to know more about the RAI procedure.  Right now I am taking the pills and watching my levels, but what is the procedure, before and after the RAI.  Thank you so much for this forum.  I was totally clueless to thyroid issues.  I am a former college athlete and I used to be very active.  It is very frustrating to be so tired, but still have a racing heart.  This is all so new to me so thank you for all of your imput
Has your Doctor got you on Beta Blockers?
If not...ask for a prescription as they help to bring down the T3 levels which cause the palps.
No-one can make up your mind about RAI...only you can but if its any consolation, I had it in June 2008 and havent looked back and never regretted it.
The secret to wellness after RAI, is knowing your body inside out in regards to symptoms, logging everything down and getting regular labs.
Most go every 6 weeks...mine were weekly then fortnightly first off because of heart issues.
As for Graves...thats with you for life but I dont seem to have had any ill effects from that since RAI.
Am I the same person?
No.
I am a better person but a different one.
I now know my limitations and dont push it to the limit.
Sickness makes my levels go 'out of whack' but I also know the early signs before the labs even show it.
Thats the secret to wellness and knowing what to do at the right time.
Hope that helps.
Yes I am on beta blockers as well and methimazole.  This is all so new to me, having to check my levels and things like that.  Right now the dr told me to see her every four weeks.  This is so new we haven't even discussed whether RAI is a better option.  Thank you for your response.
I have been taking Methimazole since 5/3/10 and I feel a little better, but I still have the crying spells, my hair is falling out and I hurt all over, (espescially headaches). Do I need to call my doctor. I have surgery to remove a goiter on the 7th so that is why I havent bothered to call my doctor. I also have stabbing needle like pains in my chest and involuntary movement and sharp pains in my legs and arms. This is very traumatic for me and I am glad I stumbled upon this web site because my family is suffering because of this illness.
I was put on methimazole 10mg 2x day on April 6, 2010 and did well for 3 weeks then boom, migraine like you cannot imagine.  It lasted 11 days until I stopped the pills.  I started again 8 days later and migraine came back.  Could not leave the house, read, watch TV or eat.  Symptom of Graves were rapid weight loss, frequent hiccups and poor sleep.  No racing heart or hair loss, depression.  Off pills now for two weeks and waiting to see new doctor,  I am frightened but cannot stand up to those headaches.  I searched the web and headache not mentioned much except with agranulocytosis.  You and one other person mention headaches.  Was white count low. I have appointment with new doc on June 1 and want white count done as well as the usual tests.
Am following the thryoid suppressing dietary guidlines from RX for Nutritional Healing. This is cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli. soybeans, peanuts and other idodine rich foods.  Got special vitamins high on B12, lecithin, flax et all

Anyone tried this yet?
I like you have been taking methimazole for 4 days. My tsh was .30. However, I feel really tried now been taking naps and I get hotter. Also feel slightly depressed. Don't know if I should decease the meds because I was having trouble getting sleep. I would just like to know if this will get better?
hi i just saw your post now,ya a few of my levels were off when i started headaches,potassium,calauim levels were down so started eating nut's bannans and sultanis it took a few week's but headaches went i started to get headache last week again got bloods done and same levels are down again so back on the nuts....my white blood count is 3.6 should be 4.00/11.0 by irish levels so down a bit doc wants to re do bloods again next week.i,m off my med's 10 week's and in normal range so don't no what's trowing me off.i no headaches are horrible but they will go ..take care hope this was some help to you ..annmarie
Have not tried but all that is good stuff anyway.  I just took my first dose 10mg 3 pills at once.  I was given the prescription 10 days ago but did not want to believe that it was nothing more than poor diet.  I felt great after subclvian/corotiad bypass surgery 9-2011, doctor put me on statin med 11-2012, extreme reaction to statin and now am diagnosed with graves disease.  It is hard for me to handle because no one in my family has had every a thyroid issue.  I am soo tired and week from the reaction to the statin medication, i really do not want to take anything else to make me feel like crap.  But I guess i already do feel horrible and both interest doctor and endo doctor called me today and mailed me a letter and told me that i better take the medication before i have a thryroid storm??? anyone experience this?
Kathy, thyroid storm is scary. i had it and my heart felt like it was trying to get out of my chest. i almost went to the emergency. but i took about 400 mg of magnesium and it  calmed down but became very irregular so i took 500 mg of calcium with 225 mg of magnesium and it all calmed down and i got to sleep. but i hope to never go through that again so im giving in to meds. methimazole and propronol ( beta blockers for the heart ). Im not a fan of prscription drugs but its worth a try to me if it will avoid another thyroid storm.
hope this helps... good luck
I know people who are on this Rx for years and are doing great - no side effects.  I was on it for 3 months and had to stop.  I was on 40 mg/day, and had a slight rash develop within two weeks of the start, so my dose was droppped to 15 mg/day.  The next two months were great: no shakes, more energy, but there was some weight gain.  Since I was down to 119 lb, going to 130 lb was actually a plus.  The dr did hinted however, that I am not eating healthy.  Dah, I am an organic vegan.
But at the end of 10 weeks of this RX, I started having major muscle pains, that would stay in one area for three days, and than move on to the next body part.  It got so bad that on the 23 day I could not put any weight on my ancles.  I stopped the drug the same day - and by the next day all pain was gone.
The Rx brought by Thyroxine levels down very nicely but I could not deal with that pain - gotta walk the dogs and take care of the kids
I was on Tapazole (Methimazole) two weeks.  My once a day dosage was only 5 mg.  After being on it for 5 days I got severe rashes over my legs, and scales bean to form.  The itching was unbearable. My doctor wanted to put me on PTU, the alternate hyperthyroid drug, but I refused. Aside from the side effects, the FDA issued a  report that PTU can cause liver injury and liver failure and death.  I told my physican I wouldn't take any more drugs for my Graves disease.   I asked for a second radio-iodine uptake even if it would destroy my thyroid.  I rather take relatively harmless thyroid hormones the rest of my life then take Methimazole or PTU----disgusting drugs.  They may work for you, but not for me.  Don't be afraid to be aggressive when talking to the man (or woman) in a white coat.  There are other options besides these two hellish drugs
Maurice 10, Check out Mashenka, pituitarymama and my own comments at the end of the following thread.. You might find it interesting, and anyone else who may want to try a natural alternative to the thyroid drugs.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/natural-remedies-for-hyperthyroidism/show/594605?personal_page_id=2730468
I was diagnosed hyperthyroid about 2 1/2 years ago. At that time I did nothing about it due to the fact that I was not feeling any ill effects. Until, last year October, I started to have the shakes, racing heart, uncontrollable appetite, insomnia, weight loss. I had gotten a new job and had been working for just under 3 weeks and started passing out at work. Had to leave my job and try to concentrate on getting better. November, my blood was tested and revealed a very high level for being hyperthyroid. Started a treatment regimen with my endo and in February of this year was treated with the radioactive iodine. Since that time I have not seen any change in my symptoms. My endo decided to put me on Tapazole and had no change. Since then I have been on this med 6 to 7 times on and off. My hair is falling out at an alarming rate and my weight is fluctuating between 5 to 6 pounds either way. My endo has told me that if my levels do not come down by February 2013 I will have to be radiated again. Is there anyone else having this much difficulty? I am almost to my breaking point....
My doctor took me off of the Methimazole for about 2 weeks because I turned Hypo ( I was taking 30 mgs a day ), well my hair started falling out, she put me back on them at 20 mgs a day and my hair is still falling out. I want to know how long my hair is going to continue falling out or is it going to stop soon. I now have two bald spots on my head. This is very depressing.
Can anyone answer this for me?
Hi there
I am actually feeling a tiny bit better today. I was on methimazole 10mg daily and doctor changed it to 5mg daily just a few days ago since I went drastically from hyper to hypo. This whole experience is so difficult. Yuck. I'm glad I found this forum so I can continue to learn about this disease and how to cope with it. Hot flashes, headaches, fatigue, pain, sick.
I have had quite a time with my thyroid. I was diagnosed with graves in 2003, I think and have had problems ever since. To make a long story short, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1999 and the disease affects everything about me. In 2007, I had a partial throidectomy, rt side. After many symptoms and rounds of tapazole/methimazole. Then in August 2012 after take the medication for almost a year, I had a thyroid storm (you don't EVER want to have one of these). My new doctor put me on triple my betablocker and methimazole and told me I could not live like that for long. Due to location, I had to change doctors again and this doctor wanted to take the thyroid out due to the fact I had developed a large goieter. As of May 2013, I am thyroid free and this lead to my question.....sorry it took so long...I am sooo drug sensitive...I have only been able to take 1/2 a dose of .112 mcg of synthroid and I didn't even start it until post op 3 wks because my side effects have been so bad. Has this happened to anyone else?
You did not have Thyroid Storm if you did not go to Emergency. It is a life or death situation, and had you have had it you would probably be dead without immediate treatment!!!! Drives me nuts when people post innaccurate information....You obviously had heart palpitations!
I got diagnosed in July 2012.  I was trying to take a nap and my heart seemed to be beating rather fast.  I tried for 2 hours and I just couldn't fall asleep and I was so tired.  I called my medical insurance to talk with a nurse.  I told her that my heart rate was rather high and it was beating around 130bpm.  (I have a blood pressure monitor - cause I also have high bp)  She told me I need to go to the closed ER which I did.  The ER did a great job pushing heart meds in my I.V. and ran a blood test.  ER doc says to me you have Hyperthyroidism.  I thought he must've made an error because I'm heavy and really hadn't lost any weight except 10 lbs. 2 weeks prior.  He said you have to lowest level I've ever seen and that after I leave the ER with extra heart meds that I needed to see an ENDO doc right away.  I met my ENDO doc who is really nice and asked for a Thyroid Uptake Scan.  My uptake was 60 not sure what all the numbers mean but they told me it was very high and there was no need for me to come back for a follow-up scan the next morning-because the results were already very high.  I have a slightly leaky heart valve with some regurgitation level 2 so it's something I see a Cardio Doc for but it's not bad.  So I was on Atenolol already and had to get a higher dose.  I started taking Methemazole and at first responded well and for 5 months was in remission.  Then all the sudden it came back and quickly.  Like my body built up a resistance to the med.  Now my dose is 15mg a day but as soon as it goes passed 10 mg I get itchy and my hair falls.  Still not in remission, I get blood tests every 4-6 weeks.  I don't want RAI but my goiter is 2 1/2 times bigger than it's supposed to be.  Sometimes I feel choky and cough because I think it's affecting my larynx?  This has been quite an ordeal with the electrical shock impulses, the fingers moving on their own, the shakes in my legs and hands.  t's starting to affect my eyes and I'm getting the swollen eye lids.   It's a very frustrating thing and pray for healing all the time - still waiting for my miracle! :)  God Bless you all.  frogeyd7
I wan to know what I can or cannot  eat when taking  tapazole and a Beta Blocker?
Hi My mom has been on methimazole 20 mg for about a week and a half but the symptoms havent gone a bit. She feels choky (which is the main issue) although size of the thyroid has come normal but she has severe Hyperthyroidism. WHEN will methimazole show its effects? is the dose my mom taking less? she cant sleep , she is restless all the time. I have asked her to go gluten free. will it help. am I doing the right thing by asking her to do so? Why the symptoms wont subside I need some serious help here....Its unbearable to watch a 67 years old woman suffer like this.
Thyroid storm is a life threatening event not to be taken lightly. It should be treated in the Emergency room. It is not the same as palpatations. Someone could die because of your advice.
Hello I am graves diagnosed and I take methimazole 10 mlg x2 a day and I have horrible headaches never been a person before this to ever have them. my weight gain has been 15 pds in 2 months and I eat meats veggies, fruit. I have huge ankles at the end of the day and puffy, I had the chokiness went to a throat specialist and told me it was in my head and I needed counseling. new experience for me I have never been sick before or been to doctors in 20 years