Thyroid Disorders Community
Methimazole Intolerance?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Methimazole Intolerance?

Hello.
I'll start off with a brief history of my condition. In December of 2011, I had congestive heart failure. Prior to this, my thyroid function tests came back normal. Less than 3 months after this happened, my thyroid function test was abnormal. They diagnosed me with hyperthyroid months later. It took months due to losing insurance and having little to no money. I was put on methimazole, 40 mg a day. I was told to cut back to 30 mg, then to 20 mg. Within a week after starting the methimazole, I felt horrible. Two weeks, even worse. I went back to my doctor and he thought it wasn't working. He kept me on a higher dose. I developed a very severe goiter. It was so swollen, I could barely breathe. He sent me to an endochronologist, who did a blood test. She said I was so hypothyroid that my level was barely registering on the blood test. In other words, my doctor unintentionally overdosed me on the thyroid medicine...which he admitted to. I went into CNS depression as well, from the overdose. It took 6 weeks without methimazole to go back to normal. 6 weeks later, my thyroid was finally in the "hyper" level again. My goiter had gone down to a normal level. It was still full, but not crushing my windpipe full. My doctor started me on a 5MG tablet once a day, to be safe. Once again, less than a week later, my goiter came back, the horrible symptoms started to take over again. My doctor decided to try one 5mg tablet every other day, and half a tablet every other day. He set me up to get my thyroid removed, which is what I wanted as well. Problem with that is, I don't qualify for insurance or government insurance. It's a tricky thing. That's beside the point. When the goiter started getting bigger, I went down to half a 5 MG tablet a day. A few days ago, the goiter was so bad that I felt like I was choking and suffocating. I stopped taking the methimazole. Now, a few days later, it has gone down. I feel like I can breathe better now.
I would rather get my thyroid removed, and be on hormone replacement but that is something I can't afford. I am still working towards figuring that out.
The thing I need to know is...has anyone else had issues with the methimazole before? This seems like an intolerance of some sort...is there another medicine I could try?
I'm at such a loss right now. The symptoms I'm having are so severe that I'm practically disabled. Fibromyalgia, arthritis like pain, neurological problems, I have it all.
I feel like I'm dying slowly, and I don't know how to fix this.

Does anyone have any advice?
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...