Methimazole Intolerance?
Hello.
I'll start off with a brief history of my condition. In December of 2011, I had congestive heart failure. Prior to this, my thyroid function tests came back normal. Less than 3 months after this happened, my thyroid function test was abnormal. They diagnosed me with hyperthyroid months later. It took months due to losing insurance and having little to no money. I was put on methimazole, 40 mg a day. I was told to cut back to 30 mg, then to 20 mg. Within a week after starting the methimazole, I felt horrible. Two weeks, even worse. I went back to my doctor and he thought it wasn't working. He kept me on a higher dose. I developed a very severe goiter. It was so swollen, I could barely breathe. He sent me to an endochronologist, who did a blood test. She said I was so hypothyroid that my level was barely registering on the blood test. In other words, my doctor unintentionally overdosed me on the thyroid medicine...which he admitted to. I went into CNS depression as well, from the overdose. It took 6 weeks without methimazole to go back to normal. 6 weeks later, my thyroid was finally in the "hyper" level again. My goiter had gone down to a normal level. It was still full, but not crushing my windpipe full. My doctor started me on a 5MG tablet once a day, to be safe. Once again, less than a week later, my goiter came back, the horrible symptoms started to take over again. My doctor decided to try one 5mg tablet every other day, and half a tablet every other day. He set me up to get my thyroid removed, which is what I wanted as well. Problem with that is, I don't qualify for insurance or government insurance. It's a tricky thing. That's beside the point. When the goiter started getting bigger, I went down to half a 5 MG tablet a day. A few days ago, the goiter was so bad that I felt like I was choking and suffocating. I stopped taking the methimazole. Now, a few days later, it has gone down. I feel like I can breathe better now.
I would rather get my thyroid removed, and be on hormone replacement but that is something I can't afford. I am still working towards figuring that out.
The thing I need to know is...has anyone else had issues with the methimazole before? This seems like an intolerance of some sort...is there another medicine I could try?
I'm at such a loss right now. The symptoms I'm having are so severe that I'm practically disabled. Fibromyalgia, arthritis like pain, neurological problems, I have it all.
I feel like I'm dying slowly, and I don't know how to fix this.

Does anyone have any advice?