Thyroid Disorders Community
Methimazole

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Methimazole

I am weaning off methimazole i was only taking 10 mg a day down to 7.5 mg for 2 weeks feeling lightheaded and was wondering if anyone knew of any side effects? Anthing would be helpful. Thanks
I was taking a dosage of forty, then cut it down to twenty for about two weeks, and then was taken off of it entirely.

I didn't notice any side effects, but I was quite ill and haven't felt really well in a few years, so who knows. I didn't break out in hives or notice anything unusual, but I had plenty of symptoms and complaints. Whether any of that was caused by stopping the Methimazole I cannot say.

I just googled methimazole side effects. If I had seen that stuff before I started taking it, I probably wouldn't have. LOL!

I didn't find anything about side effects of changing doses or discontinuing use.

DID YOU NOTICE ANXIETY OR RAPID HEARTBEAT OR COULD I BE ANXIOUS ABOUT GETTING OFF THE MEDICATION. I DONT KNOW IF I COULD STILL BE HYPER.MY LAB RESULTS HAAVE BEEN NORMAL FOR 1 YEAR.
I did not notice anything unusual.
I have not read anything about Methimazole indicating it is a drug that you need to be weened off of.

If your labs have been normal for a year, why are you still taking Methimazole? Are you worried about going Hyperthyroid when you stop the Methimazole? Just curious.
i am afraid of going hyper again, they told me to wean off i tried just quiting then had major panic attack and went back on the medication I feel off balance and am having anxiety my eyes hurt and I dont know if its me making myself feel that way or it is my thyroid, I will get my labs next week to see if i am still normal i only had post partum hyprethyroid, and i probably really nevre needed the medication because my tsh was low but had normal t3 t4.
Sorry you're having these problems.

The anxiety and the eye problem could be symptoms of Hyperthyroid, or it might be unrelated. The balance problem I am not sure of. Maybe you should be tested for menere's disease, however you spell it.

I know it is not as easy as it sounds, but try to relax and see how your test results look next week. Cut back on caffein if you drink coffee or pop, but don't drop caffein cold turkey, either, as that will give you withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.

Post partum huh? Your body goes through a lot being pregnant. I'll bet that's a huge news flash coming from a guy, huh? LOL!

Your body has been through a lot the last year. Your hormones are still adjusting I would guess. It's no wonder you are not sure what is going on in there.

I hope you feel better soon. Sorry I can't give you any helpful suggestions.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP LET ME KNOW IF YOU THINK OF ANYTHING