Thyroid Disorders Community
Milk after taking synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Milk after taking synthroid

I would like to have cereal and milk half an hour after taking synthroid.  Is that ok?
It might not be the best choice.  Calcium is one of the minerals that interferes with the absorption of thyroid meds.  The recommendation is usually to separate calcium from meds by a few hours.  Fiber also interferes with absorption.
I set my alarm for 5am and take my synthroid and go back to bed and then get up at 8am and know that plenty of time has passed for me to have whatever i want.. It's worth the inconvenience of getting up for just a few minutes to take my meds and go back to bed.
I also take my meds in the middle of the night, usually I get up to tinkle around 4 am...that way I don't have to worry about absorption, and my stomach is definately empty.
Wow...are there ever alot of us taking our meds in the wee hours--->I'm another 5 AMer and set my pill out before I go to sleep just so I know for sure whether I've taken it or not (sometimes the alarm just goes off and I ignore it).  

For some reason, I've got it in my head that you shouldn't ingest anything for an hour after taking synthroid (though that could only be coffee---I know that one for sure) and on the other hand, recall someone suggesting that the reference to calcium was mostly applicable to the high amounts found in a supplement as opposed to the relatively small amount found in cereal/coffee etc.  
Ever tried taking it at night well after dinner?  

actually it doesn't matter how you take it as long as you do it exactly the same way every day.

Yes, if you have calcium (though i doubt that the calcium in milk is that much, i also think they are talking about the amounts found in supplements) the absorption may be slightly less - so your dose may be a bit higher.  But that's fine becuase you would have adjusted.

Just be consistent whatever you do.  And do what works for you.
I need to eat in the am and I always have milk or 1/2 and 1/2 with my cereal and coffee.  I talked to both my Dr and nutritionist and they both told me that the calcium in milk is not enough to interfere with synthroid etc.   They both said to wait 4 hours before taking any supplements but regular milk and dairy in food is fine.   Just wait 30-60 minutes before you eat anything.