Thyroid Disorders Community
Missed several dose of levothyroxine - what will happen?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Currently I take the lowest dose of levothyroxine.   I think .50 micrograms.   I've been taking for about six months.   Last month, I ran out and procrastinated picking it up at the pharmacy.  So I'm guessing I missed about two to three weeks.  

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (very slight) and I haven't really had any symptoms from hypothyroidism, that I can notice.  

In any event, I didn't feel much different when I missed those doses this past month and I picked it up and started again two days ago.  

My big question is that my period is 3 days late as of today.  I'm not pregnant, I took a pregnancy test.   Did I screw up my menstrual cycle by missing those doses?

I know in the past I'd occassionally forget to take a day or so, but I never ran out and missed so many like this past time.  

I don't know about the missed period, but  you just put yourself back to square one! One to three days may not do harm, but I wouldn't make it a habit either, that is, if you take your illness serious. Two/three weeks sets you back.  

Shame on you!
Yes, it can stop them.  My dr took me completely off of mine last year to run some tests and it stopped.  Now I don't have a thyroid, so I take .125mcgs, but I think in part it is what your body is use to and when you stop them and set it back like that it affects everything.  Be careful about going off of them when you need them, b/c it has terrible other affects on your body such as raising cholesterol at an alarming rate when you are hypo.  It also decreases bone density b/c it depletes calcium stores, so also affects your teeth.

Try to make sure you always take it, your body must really need it if it was affected enough to stop your periods.  Don't beat yourself up over it, just learn from it. ;)

Dac
i missed 3 days of my synthroid medication im  on the lowest dose and told not to take it on sundays will this hurt me?
Why were you told not to take your Synthroid on Sunday?

It's not good to miss 3 days of your medication, but since you have, you should start taking it as directed and do your best not to forget in the future.
To get a lower dose.
Why doesn't your doctor just prescribe a lower dose?