Missing Left Thyroid Lobe- Where did it go?
Hi... thirty years ago I had a nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid.  Took synthroid for that many years.  Now, 2009, the dr. found a lump on the right side of my thyroid and ordered a ultra sound.  

Results:  
FINDINGS: Isthmus appears heterogeneously dense and measures 0.7 cm, slightly enlarged.  Right lobe is heterogeneous enlarded measuring 5.4 x 3.2 x 2.4 cm with multiple areas of irregular echotexture, one is slightly lobulated and measures 1.1 x 1.5 x 1.4 cm.  Increased color flow in right lobe is incidentally demonstrated.  Left lobe is smaller, difficult to visualize and measures 2.3 x 1.0 x 0.9 cm.  No focus of abnormal color flow on the left seen.

IMPRESSION:  1). Previous left thyroid rescetion questioned with asymmetry of the thyroid (I have NEVER had surgery on my thyroid).  2).  Nodular change right lobe with increased vascular flow.  Correlation witha nuclear thyroid image might be of some benefit.

QUESTIONS:  1). I have never had surgery on my thyroid, what happened to the left side???  2).  What does my ultra sound mean?  3).  Is there a possibility the nodule is cancerous when it mentions "increased vascular flow?"  

I have an appt. with a surgen on Thursday and making an appt. with an Endo.  Will know more later.  Just curious about what the ultra sound exactly means.  Also, my TSH has been 48.6 down to 28.....now it is going back up to 31...I am on 200 synthroid and .25  of levothyroxine.  Thank you for you help and time........
I just found out after taking some tests that I have a missing lobe as well.  I've never had thyroid surgery, so it would be interesting to know what can cause a lobe to disappear like that, unless I was born that way.  Is that possible?
I am not sure if being born without a thyroid lobe is possible or not.  I assume anything is possible, though. Have you had thyroid problems, as well?  Had someone say that the thyroid can shrivle or shrink after years of taking meds.  Not sure if that is true or not.  Or that the tumor can cause it to shrink, possibly.  Anyhow, hope someone from this forum can answer our questions.  Along with my ultra sound results.  Thanks for commenting kaylahar.  If you find something out, please post it.  
It is quite possible the left side has died off and is just being reabsorbed by the body. Hence the shrinking. Many people are born without any thyroid gland at all!
   Do you know what your Free T3 and Free T4 are? The TSH is just representative of the fact you have some thyroid hormone being produced by the brain. It is important to know what the body is doing in relation to the other hormones for the thyroid.
  No, it doesn't mean it is a cancer. It can be a very hungry nodule looking for a blood flow. Often the increased blood flow can mean cancer, but not always.
  Having said that, it IS in your best interests to have it further evaluated. Best to rule out any cancer and get on!
  Good luck!
Thank You, Redheadaussie for your reply.  That is good to know there is a possibility it is "not" cancer.  And of course, I will follow up on the nodule.  I have an appt. with a surgeon and an Endo.  I am sure they will be running more tests.  As for the free T3 & free T4, I asked my GP if they had tested that as well, and he said no.  So, I will have that tested, too.  So, do you by any chance have an idea as to why the meds are not working anymore?