Thyroid Disorders Community
Mixed symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Mixed symptoms

I am having elevated blood pressure and fast pulse, feeling like I''m supercharged and waking up in the early hours but also am fatigued and retaining fluid,. In the last 3 months I have had a bad sinus infection, Fifth's disease, and a sore throat of unknown origin (mostly pain on swallowing with low grade fever, but throat looked alright) My thyroid level was slightly elevated at 3.9 and my cholesterol and triglycerides were elevated, so my Doctor cut back my synthroid and put me on a mild water pill.  Are there any dietary changes I can make to help my thyroid to regulate? I do not want to sit around and wait for symptoms to treat if I can do something to help.
Are you hypothyroid or hyperthyroid?
I have been Hypo since I was 35. However, after having a surprise child at 42, I became hyper and my synthroid was reduced from .125 to .112. Now almost 4 years later my T4 is slightly elevated but I'm having fast pulse and higher blood pressure so she is dropping me to .100 and giving me Hydrochlorat for water retention.
I forgot to mention that since I started with this doctor 2 years ago, I have tested positive for Hashimoto's antibodies.
So, I am assuming that you are Hypo/Hashi was probably med. induced hyperthyroid which is not true hyperthyroidism. Therefor I am give info on Hypo/Hashi.

There are some foods that hypothyroid patients should avoid or eat in moderation, none has been proven to cause hypothyroidism in humans. Members of the cabbage family (cabbage, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, radishes, turnips, kohlrabi, rutabaga,  spinach, soy, beans, and mustard greens) are goiterogenic (suppress thyroid function) and should be eaten in moderation. Cooking may lower the goiterogenic effects. Cassava, a starchy root that is the source of tapioca, has also been identified as a goitrogenic food. Other goitrogens include maize, sweet potatoes, lima beans,   potatoes and corn, pearl millet,  peaches, pears,
Soybean products (tofu, soy sauce, etc.) should only be used in moderation; avoid soy supplements and foods with added soy, as the soy reduces thyroid function.
Avoid refined foods, sugar, dairy products, wheat, caffeine, alcohol.
Chlorine and Fluoride should be avoided, including fluoridated toothpastes and drinking water. These two chemicals may block iodine receptors in the thyroid gland, potentially causing reduced hormone production.Use bottled water, instead. Avoid caffeine drinks like coffee, cola; avoid stimulants like smoking and alcohol as these all effect the thyroid function. Avoid processed and refined foods, like white flour and sugar. Avoid dried fruit, processed potatoes, shrimp, and wine. The sulfites in these foods can destroy riboflavin, which can lead to deficiency.

Low progesterone goes hand in hand with low thyroid, so avoid foods that promote oestrogen dominance. This includes any animal product that has not been produced organically (chicken, eggs, dairy, beef, lamb, pork, etc.).
Gluten is linked to thyroid dysfunction (both hyper and hypo thyroid) so if you have any digestive problems or any one in your family with a gluten sensitivity, it would be worth dramatically reducing your gluten intake.

Helpful Foods - Foods that are helpful for the thyroid function are: carrots, spinach, apricots, asparagus, olive oil, avocado, sunflower seeds, whole grain cereals, bananas, oily fish. The best cooking oils for people with hypothyroid are sunflower, olive, and sesame. Avoid canola, corn, soybean and rapeseed. Kelp, a sea vegetable, iodinized salt. Almonds and wheat germs are also helpful . Supplements: vitamin B1, 2, 3, 5, 6, CoQ10, magnesium, chromium, selenium, zinc, iodine, calcium.  Consume plenty of foods rich in vitamin B complex for generation and utilization of energy. Some examples would be meats, dairy products, legumes, brewer's yeast, whole grains, eggs, nuts and some herbs.
Iodine-rich foods such as iodine salt and foods that contain iodine such as seaweed and ocean fish.   Iodine is needed to make thyroid hormones. Ideal food sources include Celtic sea salt, seaweed (sushi, nori rolls), salt water fish and sea food. Iodized salt is available but should be used in small amounts once or twice a week along with a good quality Celtic sea salt. Iodine supplements are usually in the form of kelp tablets. Consult your health practitioner before using these, because the wrong dose can unbalance your thyroid.
Tyrosine-rich foods These foods include meat, fish, turkey and chicken breast, low fat milk and yogurt, almonds, avocado, bananas, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, lentils. Supplements of tyrosine should be taken on an empty stomach so that it doesn’t have to compete with other amino acids.
High quality protein. All of our body’s glands and hormones are made from protein. Try to eat high quality lean protein at every meal.
Selenium-rich foods – meat, chicken, salmon, tuna, seafood, whole unrefined grains, brazil nuts, brewer’s yeast, dairy products, garlic, onions and black strap molasses.
The best cooking oils for people with hypothyroid are sunflower, olive, and sesame. Avoid canola, corn, soybean and rapeseed.
Supplements of Vitamin B complex and essential fatty acids because they help to balance the entire hormonal system.
Sunlight – while not a food, its important to get a daily dose of safe sun. Light stimulates the pineal gland, which in turn positively affects the thyroid as well as all the other endocrine glands.

Also, you need to eat fresh and whole foods, they need to be organic so they are not estrogenic in the body. Excess estrogen inhibits thyroid function.
If you eat animal products, they need to be organic and "free range" and you should eat no more than ONE serving daily. If you have been following a high protein diet like many practitioners tell hypothyroid's to do, know that it will not support your thyroid and it will worsen your constipation if that is one of your symptoms.

Other members of the thyroid enhancement family include CoQ10, magnesium, chromium, selenium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Vitamin C, the B Vitamins, Niacin, Pyridoxine, and Bladderwrack.

Also, avoid fluorine and chloring. These two chemicals may block iodine receptors in the thyroid gland, potentially causing reduced hormone production. Tea is very high in fluoride content.  Black tea to contain 7.8 mgs of fluoride which is roughly the same amount as if one were to drink 7.8 litres of water in an area fluoridated at 1ppm. It is well known that fluoride in tea gets absorbed by the body similarly as the fluoride in drinking water.

Many of the symptoms documented in the vast literature on the subject of chronic or low-grade fluoride poisoning can be directly related to thyroid functions and disorders

now over 150 symptoms and associations can be identified in hypothyroidism. Almost all correlate with known symptoms of fluoride poisoning.

There are nutrition and vitamins/minerals, but too long to go into and this has gotten too  long as it is. However, hope this all helps and good luck!