Thyroid Disorders Community
Mold causing thyroid problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Mold causing thyroid problems?

Hi there, I have mysterious problems, and I wonder if mold is causing them.  

I was diagnosed w Graves' Disease in March 09, after being sick since Dec. 08.  It is an autoimmune disease that caused serious hyperthyroidism.   My hormone levels gradually lowered, so while I started in Dec 08 taking 20 mg of Tapazole a day, now I only take 5 mg/d.  Now they even say I have HYPOthyroidism.   They don't know why.   Is that Hashimoto's?   I also was taking 50 mg of Metoprolol for racing heart, but now I take only 12.5 mg of Metoprolol.   That took some getting used to - the withdrawal is hard and scary.   But is ok now.

Now, my thyroid hormone levels in the blood show relatively normal, taking into account that I am taking medicine for hyperthyroidism, and my doctors think I should be fine, given the results of their tests.   They want me to see a psychiatrist!   I know I don't have psychiatric problems, based on what various people in the health care sector have told me.   They just don't know what to do with me.   But for the emotional part of my problems, thyroid problems are notorious for causing those.

Every day I am exhausted and sleep for about 2 hours, for every 2-4 hours of activity.  During these times I need to sleep, I have thyroid pain, can't think straight, and feel weak.  The pain used to go away after sleeping an hour or two.  For awhile, I improved so I only needed to rest for 40 min and I was ok again for 3 hours.  But not anymore.  

Sometimes I also have aches and pains, and I am usually very thirsty, like all the time.  I will wake up at night because I am dry and must drink - I drink a glass of water before bed, 2-3 glasses of water during the night, or more, and more all day!   I get anxious and nervous meeting people, where before I was very sociable, and I am a teacher, but cannot teach right now because of this condition.   If I don't drink enough, my heart races until I drink a glass of water or two.   Also it is hard to maintain my body temperature.  I am senstitive to heat. Often at night I get too hot, then too cold, then too hot, etc!    So it's hard to sleep.  

That has all been going on for 9 months, but it was way worse before.  In May I could only stay up 1.5 to 2.5 hours at a time.  Now, sometimes I can do 4 hours, usually just 3, and this week, sometimes just 2.

The past two weeks I have had constant thyroid pain, and my thyroid was cold.  then on Tuesday I went to the emergency ward because, since Monday, I also had excessive thyroid swelling: it stretched out to the sides of my neck and around the sides of my neck.    I also on Tuesday I had more swelling on my back and head, that came and went!  I was very weak and extra tired and not able to think well or take any kind of kidding around.   And I've been getting hungry in the night, having to eat nuts around 2 am, before my body will go back to sleep - I had problems with hypoglycemia before and if my blood sugar is low I will wake up.   That can be caused by hyperthyroidism too.

And my mind is starting to race again, so I think maybe it is going hyper thyroid again.   Because on Monday after all the pain and cold, I decided I needed to lower my medication from 7.5 mg/d to 5 mg/d, and my doctor agreed when I told him.   (I know how my body acts when the meds need to be changed.)

The blood tests at emergency showed normal.  They said the inflammation might have been due to a virus?  They told me to take Naproxin 2 tabs, 2x / d, which helps sometimes, but sometimes not at all.  One time I actually felt worse.  I am still on Tapazole for hyperthyroidism, and showing symptoms of hyper AND hypo thyroidism.   The doctors are confused.   I just want to get well.

Also my naturopath says I have adrenal fatigue, and, indeed, when I went off the herbal remedy for a week, in August, I got so sick and lethargic, and it took 3 or 4 weeks to get ok ish again when I restarted.  I have still not recovered from that setback and it is now December.   When I do Reiki on my adrenals, I feel more peaceful and much better and more energetic.  The medical doctors tests do not test for adrenal problems milder than Addison's,although if they did they would help many many people.  So they say my adrenals are fine.  

But they cannot explain my problems.  

So I wonder if it's the mold.  I have been staying at my parents', and resting well, since Tues.  It is now Monday again.   Getting better.  Today I went to my place to get it ready for me to go back, and I realised how much mold there is there.  The fridge had all this moldy food.  I cleaned it out this evening.  The mold has got out into the rest of the apt.  I have houseplants to clean the air, but I don't know if the mold will go into them, or if they will help me.  I got stuffy just being there, and my lungs started to hurt.   When I take Respiractin Deep Lung Cleanse, this clears up!  

I wondered if the mold is going into my body, into the thyroid, and causing autoimmune disease.  I heard the mold can go into the thyroid, then the body attacks the mold and because it is in the thyroid, the thyroid suffers.   I read somewhere that it caused adrenal problems for some people too.

Thanks for reading.  I'm pretty tired so it makes me ramble a bit, but I think you can get the idea.  Please let me know what you think.  Thank you.   Rachel in Canada

This discussion is related to Thyroid problems and Toxic Mold.
Hi Rachel,

It was wild reading your post, as I have almost every single symptom as you. And I'm getting nowhere with doctors. I was fairly healthy when I moved into an apt with leaking pipes in 2005, which subsequently caused growth of Stachybotrys and Chaetomium mold species in the bathroom wall. Now I suffer with countless symptoms. My thyroid hurts, is enlarged and I have elevated Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies. I have had 4 miscarriages in the last 2 years. I can't do any kind of exertion for very long. Can't work any more. I'm so tired of suffering and suffering with no treatment. Taking Tapazole, Clonidine, and Atenolol and getting no relief. I don't know how much longer I'm supposed to just keep on living like this. I pray for the both of us. I want to have a child so badly, but I'm really scared that I will never be healthy enough to.

Keep me posted on how you're doing and if you're able to get any help!

-Sherri in SoCal
Our members may be able to give you some valuable insight to your problems if you will post whatever thyroid test results and references that you have.  If they don't include the biologically active thyroid hormones, free T3 and free T4 (not total T3 and total T4), then I suggest that you get those done (insist if you have to ) and then get a copy and post here so that members can help interpret.
Hi Gimmel, thanks, I do'nt have the lab results.... here the drs usually keep them, and now I have a new, good doctor who's taking me seriously and I don't really want to rock the boat.   But I might ask him.  I'll see. THanks for the suggestion.

Hey Sherri, Wow!  That's crazy you have all the same symptoms!!!   I'm really sorry to hear you're having so many problems and frustration and miscarriages.   That's hard to bear.   Keep in mind that you will NOT be so sick like this forever.   There IS a way for you to get well.  You just have to find it.  

Here is my advice in a nutshell (I wrote it out long just now and when I had to sign in it disappeared!)  

1. MOVE from your house - or at least have a holiday.  I left my apt for two months and stayed at my parents' for that time.  Got some TLC and didn't need to look after housework, etc.   AND cleaned up the mold at my place.   Now I'm soooo much better.   Don't know if that is possible for you.

2.  Take Adrenasense from the healthfood store.  My naturopath said I have Adrenal Fatigue, and suggested four pills/day, but I take five, and have seen great results.    Usually she said, when people have Adrenal Fatigue (burn out) they can get thyroid problems, and vice versa.    

3.  Pray, engage in spirituality, do what you love, and let go of the stuff you are carrying.    Once I let go of trying to do what others expected, I have gotten so much more relaxed and more healthy.   The stress goes down, and then the body can heal.

4.  Eat well - regularly, and fresh foods a lot.    

5.  Exercise as much as possible.   My new doctor (who is a Godsend!), says that when people are chronically fatigued, the best thing is exercise.   He recommended  getting my heart rate to 110 bpm for ten minutes a day, then going up to 1 hour twice a day.   My body started wanting exercise, so this was not so hard for me to do.   I also joined a yoga class, but it's really active, a good workout.    Once a week.  

6.  Use alternative therapy.   I have gotten Reiki treatments, Yuen technique energy clearing, my powerful faith healer auntie prayed over me five times so far, and asked God to heal the darkness that she could see near my thyroid - and other stuff without me telling her!   And I'm getting better now!  

7.  Keep positive.   Be thankful for everything in your life that you DO have, and CAN do, because the more you focus on that, the more you feel good emotionally, and then your body can heal more easily.  

8.  Clear up other stressful matters - ex.  I had/have no income at present, and was waiting for all the appeal processes... my other dr was not sending the needed info.  but my new doctor sent in the paperwork, so I have hopes it will be coming soon.  At the very least, I will get Employment Insurance from the gov't within the month.  

But seriously, if two of us, or more, have the same problems b/c of mold, then I would suggest getting OUTTA there, right away.   And see if you can get that mold out of all your furniture, carpets, curtains, clothing, etc.   They say it can stay....

Ahhh, you can see how much more energy I have now!   My dr thinks I can go back to work at least part time in April, and I believe him!   Maybe even full time, maybe mid april.   And I've been making art in my studio couple times a week, going to choir rehearsals at church, visiting friends, doing social things, doing yoga class, staying up 5 hours at a time, with only need to sleep about 1 hour or sometimes 1/2 hour in between!!!  AMAZING, isn't it?  I'm so thankful!!!  I really give all the credit to God!   And all the people and events God has been workign through.  

See?  Still a ways to go, but I am getting well.  You will too!!!  

Keep in touch and let me know how you are.  Peace out.  Rachel
I am fairly certain you have Fibromyalgia...it can cause all your symptoms and more!  Go get Dr R Paul St Amand's book "what your dr may not tell you about fibromyalgia"--it has changed my life for the better, forever.  The website can be helpful too: www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com

good luck!  
-CCL