Thyroid Disorders Community
Mom has hypothyroidism and very fat now

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Mom has hypothyroidism and very fat now

Hello Guys,

My mom too has hypothyroidism like me;
she was very lean till the age of 35.now she is 50 yrs.
Now she is around 85 kg.
She has the thyroid issue for the last 12 years or so.
She should ideally be 60 kgs at max;

I am really worried for her.
It is difficult for her to lose weight having already gained so much;she has lost the confidence too,and the doctors (2 of them) had a very negetive repsonse(they said that at her age it will be difficult to lose weight);
i feel verys ad for my mom and need some pratical advice on how to help my mom become fit again;and ideally how long would it take for her to come to shape in a healthy manner;
The first thing you should do is make sure your mom's thyroid condition is being properly treated.  If it's not, she will find it nearly impossible to lose weight.  So, please post her most recent thyroid labs and include reference ranges as they vary lab to lab and have to come from her own lab report.

Does she still have other hypo symptoms?  Constipation?  Lowered HR and/or BP?  Fatigue?  Hair loss?  Depression?

Hope you are doing very well.
I am sorry for this very late response.
here is her latest lab result::
Free T3 - 3.03 (range 2 - 4.4)
Free T4 - 1.33 (range .93 - 1.7)
TSH      - 3.92 (range 0.27 - 4.20)

No she does not suffer from constipation .
BP is normal presently(few years back it was very high).
She gets tired may be because of the 87 kg of weight.
She has normal hairloss.And I do not know whether she is depressed.She has been tensed because of my divorce for the past few years.

I really wanted to know how can she work towards getting a fit body again even with hypothyroid.
Her FT4 is right in the middle of the range, which is excellent.  However, her FT3 is a bit low.  Rule of thumb target for FT3 is upper half to upper third of the range, and she's still in the lower half.  Also, her TSH is high.  It's in range, but very close to the top of the range.  

Where are you located?  Would her doctor consider adding a small amount of T3 (like Cytomel and generics) to her meds?

It is very difficult for people to lose weight when they are hypo until their meds are adjusted optimally for them.  When we're hypo, our metabolism slows way down, and we just can't burn calories as efficiently as we should.  I usually recommend to people that they don't try to lose weight until they get their meds right as it's just going to be an exercise in frustration and may just discourage them from trying later.  
Thank you very much.I am from India.WE will be visiting the doctor net week and will sure ask it.