Thyroid Disorders Community
Multi Nodule Goiter & pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Multi Nodule Goiter & pain

I have several nodules in R thyroid, large enough to be considered goiter.  First diagnosed 6/08. Ultrasound, FNA, Uptake scan all benign.  T3, T4 all normal. TSH went from .18 to .56 in one year.  All other blood work completely normal.  Doc says goiters are not painful, yet in 3/09 I developed pain in my right neck up to my ear.  At first it was intermittent but has become more consistent.  Have been to doc twice about pain and first he tells me it is in my head and to quit thinking about my health.  Second time he tells me there is no medical reason for pain.  My doctor reads only medical records and does not participate with patient. Doc is NOT endo...nearest endo is 400 miles.

Have since been to ENT at the urging of my OB/GYN and he tells me I should see ortho as is likely muscular and/or skeletal yet he ordered another ultrasound.  Radiologist wonders why I keep coming back and is surprised thyroid/goiter is not treated.  He thinks it is possible nodules are pushing on a nerve causing pain and by treating the inflammation of thyroid could be reduced and stop pain.

What is the normal course of action for goiters where there is pain involved but thyroid problems are correcting themselves.  Is it normal for thyroids to correct themselves? I am not on any medications and have not had any treatment what-so-ever for the thyroid condition.  Any suggestions? The pain is getting to be overwhelming and disruptive.
The doctor that told you that goiters cannot cause pain is all wrong.  Goiters can grow over time with inflammation and can obstruct and contrict vital nearby nerves, organs and blood supply.  The pain you are describing is identical to my experience; and I have a multi-nodular goiter that has grown significantly over the last few months.  Treating the inflammation would be a good course of action but, since you are euthyroid, I don't have any easy answers.  My blood levels are all normal but, my goiter continues to grow....just because you are euthyroid doesn't mean there isn't a problem!!!  I am having a thyroidectomy next week and I look forward to the neck and ear pain going away.  I would recommend seeing an ENT to review your sonogram results and determine if in fact the goiter has grown or is inflammed enough to cause these issues.  You are NOT crazy!!!!  :-)
The pain you describe is exactly the pain (ear to neck to shoulder) that sent me to the doctor and that is how I found my nodules! Send that doc walkin and find a new one because they definitely cause pain! I had a PT 6-17 and have been pain free in that regard since then, so those nodules (2cm, 5mm6mm8mm) were the cause. Listen to your body, because for me there was a tiny unknown little 2mm sucker that turned out to be papillary carcinoma in there, so I was lucky that the big nodules were ''talking" and I listened. Be your own health care advocate, and be pro active when it comes to your one life! Best of luck to you, keep us posted! hugs...Laura
Thanks for your comments.  It is refreshing to hear that other people out there with the same problem are able to find the necessary medical care they need.  Gives me hope that I wont have to beat my head against a wall forever.  It's also nice to know that I'm not the only one experiencing these symptoms.  I hope your thyroidectomy helps you and gets you the relief you need.

The interesting thing about my inflammation is it comes and goes.  It is most inflamed between my periods and that is when there is the most pain.  Odd I think, although with all these hormones involved, maybe not.

Please keep in touch after your surgery....All the best to you, Jill
Laura,

How long from the time they found your nodules to the time you had treatment for them?  What sort of additional treatment are you going thru now?  If you don't mind me asking.

I'm trying to dig up as much real life info as possible as I start my quest for a new Doc. Looks I'll be headed out of state.

Thanks :) Jill
I'm going through the same thing.  My endo says I shouldn't have pain where my multinodular goiters are, but I do.  She keeps saying that she should monitor and I'm totally scared of that because I feel like I'm waiting for cancer to show up in my neck.  Then she'll do something for me?  Anyway, I'm seeing another endo now. I second opinion never hurts.   Thank you so much!