Thyroid Disorders Community
Multinodular goiter, need advice about surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am normally a very healthy and active 38 year old woman.  In the last 5 months, my energy has gone down hill. Also in June, it was hard for me to swallow occasionally.  August, I had some jaw, neck and ear pain.  A specialist said something else was going on and these were just symptoms.. Found out my thyroid was enlarged..I am also a voice teacher and haven't been able to sing much since August; I go hoarse after singing for 5 mins.
Sept. I went down hill where I am on the sofa all day with no energy/fatigued.. I was in the hospital for a week going through neurological testing and every blood test under the sun which came back normal.  My T3 and T4 and antibody tests were all normal.  My TSH was .86 in the Spring and .440 now.  It went down but still within normal range.

I had an ultrasound of my thyroid due to the swallowing thing.. They found out I had multinodular goiter.  I have 10 nodules on my thryoid.  2 are bigger than 2 cm.  I had a nuclear scan then a FNB.  One big one is on my right side, the other on my left side.   The one on my left has neoplasm cells and has 20% chance of cancer; the right one is follicular and 10% chance.. The one on my right side has mild pain all day long.

I talked to a surgeon today and going to an Endo next week or two.  The surgeon says the left side of my thyroid needs to come out and it is up to me whether I do a total thyroidectomy.   My right one is the one hurting me.  I am in question of what to do.

The doctors say that my lack of energy and not being able to do normal life has nothing to do with my thyroid. Then what in the world is making me feel so bad.. I have had several people that had similar condition that was so wiped with multinodular goiter.  I am just frustrated and want to be normal again.
I had the surgery . . . twice . . . since there are problems on both sides, and a chance of cancer, my advice would be to get the entire thing out.  Same surgery, same hospitalization, same treatment - a lot less hassle (from a second surgery) and less worry about what *might* be in the other half.

Just my $.02

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma '03, second surgery '04
  recurrence and RAI '06 and probably '08
three sisters with papillary carcinoma (one with three recurrences)
sister with precancerous nodules
daughter with precancerous nodules
...are you on any meds....?? I undersatnd your frustration...I too have nodules and am completly wiped out..I had the jaw pain, ear pain, swallow difficulty...even had the barium swallow test.....but after having a second US I am told to wait another 6 months to get 3rd US...so I am waiting to see....

Good Luck...and know you are not alone
Godspeed
"selma"
I am not taking any medications yet..