Aa
A
A
Close
Multinodular thyroid
I saw a new endo doctor last week and after reading over my previous records, he ordered a thyroid uptake test. A Radiologist told me that my thyroid has multinodules, even in the middle, the isthumus (sp). I am awaiting deperately for the results from the doctor about whether or not I will be on medication for hyperthyroidism.

I had two biopsies previously and it was confirmed that it was not cancer. That was when it was only one nodule on the right side. I changed endo doctors because I felt as though my doctor was not treating me aggressively enough. I was feeling bad and having symptoms, but my doctor refused to treat me with medication stating that " the medication can be more dangerous than the disease". Instead, she wanted me to have that RAI treatment. I was afraid of the radiation and did not get the treatment. One year later (2nd reason why I chose another doctor because it takes too long to get an appointment), which was in January of this year, my blood test results came back OK. I kept thinking, was it a miracle? That really scared me.

Why are these nodules developing? Will medication cause them to shrink? Should I be worried yet?

Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1013194_tn?1296463081
*bump*
Comment
Cancel
1013194_tn?1296463081
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1204245_tn?1356904325
The small "functioning" nodules in multinodular goiter have increased ability to absorb iodine; so in theory iodine-rich food and even x-ray with iodine contrast or RAI123 scan can trigger transient to permanent hyperthyroidism (Plummer’s disease). The good thing is that such nodules are almost never cancerous; such nodules are used to be common among the people of 50 or older. If RAI scan is needed the technetium is used.
Comment
Cancel
1204245_tn?1356904325
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
OK, so are you saying that the nodules are what is causing my hyperthyroidism? I had an ultrasound and there it was confirmed that I had multinodular goiter. Back in 2005, I had 2 biopsies and it was only one nodule. Now, there are multi?  omg!!  There is no visible swelling but sometimes I feel a fullness in my neck.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1204245_tn?1356904325
It really depends how these nodules will show up after uptake test; if they show INCREASED uptake, then my hypothesis is probably correct; but if these nodules are cold then they are forming by different reason ( autoimmune thyroiditis, for example)
Comment
Cancel
1204245_tn?1356904325
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I was told by my my endocrinologist that I have 22 noudules on right side (6cm) & 8 (3cm) on the left side. I had an ultrasound done last week. The person who did it, used the word  "cyst" I'm assuming as in liquid filled.?. I go for a FNA in the morning.  Should I be worried?  I have no insurance & two small children.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Multinodular thyroid
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources