Thyroid Disorders Community
Multinodular thyroid
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Multinodular thyroid

I saw a new endo doctor last week and after reading over my previous records, he ordered a thyroid uptake test. A Radiologist told me that my thyroid has multinodules, even in the middle, the isthumus (sp). I am awaiting deperately for the results from the doctor about whether or not I will be on medication for hyperthyroidism.

I had two biopsies previously and it was confirmed that it was not cancer. That was when it was only one nodule on the right side. I changed endo doctors because I felt as though my doctor was not treating me aggressively enough. I was feeling bad and having symptoms, but my doctor refused to treat me with medication stating that " the medication can be more dangerous than the disease". Instead, she wanted me to have that RAI treatment. I was afraid of the radiation and did not get the treatment. One year later (2nd reason why I chose another doctor because it takes too long to get an appointment), which was in January of this year, my blood test results came back OK. I kept thinking, was it a miracle? That really scared me.

Why are these nodules developing? Will medication cause them to shrink? Should I be worried yet?

Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1013194_tn?1296463081
*bump*
Blank
1204245_tn?1356904325
The small "functioning" nodules in multinodular goiter have increased ability to absorb iodine; so in theory iodine-rich food and even x-ray with iodine contrast or RAI123 scan can trigger transient to permanent hyperthyroidism (Plummer’s disease). The good thing is that such nodules are almost never cancerous; such nodules are used to be common among the people of 50 or older. If RAI scan is needed the technetium is used.
Blank
OK, so are you saying that the nodules are what is causing my hyperthyroidism? I had an ultrasound and there it was confirmed that I had multinodular goiter. Back in 2005, I had 2 biopsies and it was only one nodule. Now, there are multi?  omg!!  There is no visible swelling but sometimes I feel a fullness in my neck.
Blank
1204245_tn?1356904325
It really depends how these nodules will show up after uptake test; if they show INCREASED uptake, then my hypothesis is probably correct; but if these nodules are cold then they are forming by different reason ( autoimmune thyroiditis, for example)
Blank
I was told by my my endocrinologist that I have 22 noudules on right side (6cm) & 8 (3cm) on the left side. I had an ultrasound done last week. The person who did it, used the word  "cyst" I'm assuming as in liquid filled.?. I go for a FNA in the morning.  Should I be worried?  I have no insurance & two small children.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank