Muscle, tendon and joint pain from thyroid, whats your experience?
Not a question. Share your experiences for others. You might learn something.  Many thyroid 'newbies' are unaware (docs too) of how thyroid hormones effect body tissue. Some get this as a severe symptom, some almost never. Back, feet, legs, shoulder, wrists (carpel tunnel) , all.  A reminder that symptoms vary with autoimmune.

I have self learned a lot on this subject - I had too. And learned acupressure muscle release (trigger point therapy is another name) from books and PT's, that has saved me thousands of dollars, and relived pain, (this is different from acupuncture). I since learned I needed T3, as many do with continuing pain on a T4 only med. Still have some, its a long healing process (years).

I recently spoke to very experienced physical therapist / massage therapist on this subject as she has experience working with Fibro patients and noted some mentioned they had 'wacked' thyroids. She was interested in how thyroid hormones work, symptoms , and, well, now she knows some of what I know, which is better than not knowing.

Many do not realize that what they think is joint pain may not be caused from within the  joint, unless there is physical joint damage or Rheumatoid.  Referred pain simply means pain felt in a different area from its true origin. Knee, ankle and shoulder pain is usually from tight muscles (nearby or far) pulling on a joint, so that's where you feel it. Loosening the muscle (if it wont stretch) via acupressure or trigger point release can relieve joint and muscle pain.

What brings this up was a recent experience of "burning feet" (new to me and very wierd) from FT4 under the range (totally off) which resulted in a 58 tsh. Another member mentioned burning feet to me with low thyroid levels. At tsh of 24 now, my feet feel better.

So this thread is about others thyoid body pain experience and relieving it, if they have anything to share for others to learn. If you had or still have thyroid body pain, you know how miserable it can be. (Dont get alarmed of my tsh, that is being worked on slowly - another subject altogether).
There have been numerous posts on the gluten thing here, some people feel better without it. How it effects the thyroid no one knows for sure, just theories out there.

But gluten, sugar, startch all feed digestional bacteria and digestive yeast. We all have this, but overgrowth in the digestive tract leads to all body discomfort in some people, which is one reason why some feel better removeing or reduceing gluten, sugar and starch from their diet.

Gluten does not effect my hashimoto symptoms or lab values. I actualy started eating more gluten  and one of my antibodies DEcreased from 600 to 70. Just goes to show, thyroid antibodies can fluctuate on their own. The decreased antibodies do not make me feel any different symptom wise though, whish it did.
Have you read DR. David Brownstein's "Iodine why you need it, why you can't live without it" book. Also read the reviews for "Iodoral" on Amazon.com and iherb.com.  
I have severe muscle pain. It was so bad I could not walk across a room for 4 years. Only started driving end of last year. I Still have a lot of pain which worsens every time my thyroid fluctuates. My skin is extremely dry and gets itchy when I open the fridge and expose to the cold. My eyes are dry too.
I have no idea if this is related but one of the previous posts mentioned it and a light bulb went off. About 2.5 yrs ago (6 months post natal and ironically when my symptoms of hypo really started showing) I started getting extreme itching in my ears. So bad it wakes me up at night. It has never gone away since. I also get really achy ankles. They just well, ache. I also get extreme toe crams, where they completely lock up and I cannot move them at all. It is extremely painful and  I just have to wait for it to pass. I am now wondering if all this is related to  ???
I hope someone can answer this for me. I have all over muscle pain? That starts almost immediately upon any movement. For instance, moving my arm caises yge entire limb to feel intense (and i do mean intense) pain and the fatiguecequal to lifting your maximum weighted barbells to your absolute point of not being able to complete one more lift. Except, this happens to me within seconds of simply moving my arm, or the same for my leg, even chewing food (neck and tongue muscles) but all of it goes away within seconds to approximately two mins of complete inactivity. Is this the type of pain associated with your thyroids? I have no thyroid, it was removed due to Graves disease.
Do you have any other symptoms of low thyroid still lingering? If yes, then this might be the cause.
I do not know if this tread is too old for anyone to be reading, but I would like to add:  Hypothyroidism will cause a retention mucin/mucus in the muscle sheaths. It was once thought that Guaifenesin would help this.  It does not.  I know of no way to reduce this except in the hope that becoming optimize on thyroid medications.  Which leads me to this:  Imo, being treated with t4 only even with t3 in addition, will only make things worse.  The correct treatment is to replace what you no longer get and that the full spectrum of hormones a normal thyroid produces.  The only way do this is with Dessicated thyroid.  There are at least 4 brands of this medication.  

After almost 30 years of fighting this condition, I have only found this medication 10 years ago.  And only found that I have not been optimized (because of doctor's dependance on the TSH test) ever!  I am working on that.  However, in order to relieve my muscle of the musus and lactic acid that has already accumulated in my body, I think I will begin the magnesium/malic acid as soon as I can purchases some.
Never heard of mucin/mucus in muscle. Hmm.

This thread is getting kind of long to read all of it.

Dessicated helps muscle pain, I've been on about 5 manufactures of it from when  changed from T4. Magnessium glycinate and malic acid help me some, still not totally relived yet.

Active release is by far the best thing I have done for muscle circulation thyroid issues. Thats still really a band aid though.
Hi there

What is dessicated thyroid??

I have severe myopathy doe to GD and therefore severe walking difficulties and after 12 months on meds the pain has lessened but walking has yet to be improved and I really do need to get the legs working properly so that I can think about returning to work (as an event manager who stays on her feet for up to and more than 12 hours at events)

Many thanks.

PS my meds are
levothyroxinw 100mg
Carbimazole 20mg
Prpranolol 80mg slow release
DX Severe Graves/TED/Myopathy Nov 2012
I understand everything you have said. My feet burn at times, my vision gets blurry, and my joints hurt to the point of being unbearable. I can't run, squat, or kneel. My knees are the worst, but my shoulders, hips, and low back hurt as well. My TSH is low normal and my doctor does not "get it." This is not normal for me. Nothing is improving. It is worsening. He blames it all on my weight. My weight issue is due to the thyroid. It is a vicious circle. I am at my wits end. I have never had a weight problem, and now I can't do anything I used to. It is depressing!
Have you been tested for anything other than TSH?  If so, please post those results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.  If not, then you need to be tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4).  While you are at it I would also suggest tests for Vitamin D, B12, ferritin, and magnesium.  Are you taking any thyroid med right now?  If so, what type and daily dosage?
I am curious about this old thread too. I have hypothyroidism and occupational tendinitis. I am not taking any medication. I had 9 months of Physio covered by WSIB (Workplace Safety Insurance Board). I've had the tendinitis in my forearms for about 10 months. While my physiotherapist kept saying she thinks I can make a full recovery I'm not so sure. I'll be 45 in a few days and I've spent my adult life doing jobs and hobbies that highly involve my hands and arms so there's a lot of wear and tear. I never took any time off work for this injury. I did change positions though. I was doing a lot of heavy lifting, but now it is the pushing and pulling that continues to cause some strain though to a lesser degree.
Thought you might be interested in this particular section taken from the very long list of symptoms that can be related to hypothyroidism.  

Pain:

Migraines
    Chronic headaches
    Chronic back and loin pain
    Wrist pain
    Muscles and joint pain
    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (hands or forearms)
    Tarsal Tunnel syndrome (legs)
    Joint stiffness
    Tendonitis
    Heel spur
    Plantar fasciitis
    Arthritis
    Gout
    Painful soles of feet
    Muscle cramps
    Aching bones
    Aching muscles
    Joint pain
    TMJ
    Fibromyalgia

It might also be of interest to know that I during a period when I was hypo, and doing a lot of typing on this Forum, I started having carpal tunnel symptoms in my right wrist.  There are other members with similar experience.  Eventually, when Armour Thyroid became available again, I found that my wrist pain went away after only  few days of getting some T3 and raising my Free T3 level.  Knock on wood, I have not had any such problem since that time.  
Thank you for the list and sharing your own experience.
I am going for bloodwork on Monday (TSH, Free T4, Tree T3 and other tests).
I'm waiting to find out if WSIB will recommend I see a specialist re: the tendinitis or a return to my physiotherapist or both. I informed my case manager that I still need medical support.
About muscle and tendon pain.  I have purchased Tom Brimeyer's "Hypothyroidism Revolution" program and he explains A LOT about the hows, and whys of many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. He says that if your blood sugar is not balanced (which can be caused by low thyroid function) and is low, and you have insufficient stores of sugar in your liver, your body will go to your muscles to get the fuel your body needs and the by-product of breaking down the muscle is lactic acid, hence the muscle or tendon pain.  That is a simplified version, but when you read all the material available it makes sense.

He talks about symptoms, causes, testing, treatment, foods, life-style, hormones and more and includes a diet and other programs geared to treat hypothyroidism.

His program is aimed at repairing the malfunctioning thyroid and he explains in a lot of detail, some of the causes for hypothyroidism. I have just started the program so can't tell you how well it works, but it sure answers a lot of questions. This program can be found on the web.  I am not a paid representative for this program.  It just has so much information that has helped me to understand hypothyroidism that I thought I would share it.
I have had a thyroid condition for the past 25 years and was treated with Synthroid, taking everyday, monitoring every 6 months, sometimes would increase or decrease the dosage but minimally according to blood results. I never had any symptoms except a bit of hair loss which started about 10 years ago and stabilized. I am 45. I usually never miss my medication except for a few times when I ragout but no more than a week….Well 2 months ago I started having pain on my left shoulder and right knee almost at the same time, i thought it was from moving boxes but the pain never stopped so I went to the doctor and got blood work and shows a positive ANA and high Smith antibodies, so I am being sent to the rheumatologist, but I am also researching and wondering if it is related to Thyroid. Any input on this? would be greatly appreciated.
All these replies  seem to be saying the same thing that you get muscle pain etc.   from hypo thryroid.  I was first diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 4 years ago.   I had nodules in my neck but no symptoms of problems until 4 years ago.  That is when I started getting hot really easily sweating a lot jittery palpatations lost about 10 pounds fairly easily (and I could not lose weight for anything before that).   Then I moved away and had to find new docs.  It took so long to get in to see one that my new family doc recommended going up a little on the methimazole.  Unfortunately I went into hypothyroid then and started having more problems.  Burning feet, tightness in thighs , pain in hips  also pain in back but have spinal issues as well.  Burning prickly hands, they turn red and swell up at night, pain in wrists.   So finally got to an endo and they monitored me and got me off methimazole altogether.  Then the hyper came back about 1 month later.  So had to go back on methimazole.  STill having this horrible pain along with migraines and mood changes like crazy.  It is all so crazy, because now they say blood work is normal, so why do I still feel so horrible.  I sure hope my doc has some answers after my most recent blood work done today.     Looks like I am alone in the Hyperthyroid role,
Just because your blood test results fall within the so-called "normal" ranges does not mean they are adequate for you.  The ranges are far too broad, due to the erroneous way they are established.  Plus people have different levels of thyroid hormones at which they feel best.  

Please post those thyroid test results that were supposedly normal, along with their ranges, so that members can have a look.

Many people here went through years of being told their blood work was "normal".  

As stated above, the ranges are very wide and people can feel better when they find a Dr that is willing to experiment different levels within the range.

Thyroid levels are not like a light switch "on or off", there is a great area in between.
Hi I haveabeen on Thyroxin for 23years.

I have been struggling with tennis elbow for 3 months that came out of nowhere. My simple self massage physio exercises cause tennis elbow in the other elbow.

I recently had my TSH levels checked they were low. The Dr saidit was at '6' and has raised my meds.

Has anyone here recovered from tendinitis with raised medication?

I dont have health insurance and am self employed.  Currently in severe financial crisis due to inability to work.So visiting multiple doctors and specialists is a burden.

Please advise

I have been experiencing a Lump in my throat for the last year.  I also have some extreme joint pain in my wrists, knees and elows.  I also have a unexplainable itching all over my body from head to toe has anyone here experienced the itching syptoms with your thyroid condition?
I started having SEVERE gluteal pain and thigh joint going down the side of my leg. Pain passed right above my knee and right above my ankle. Also goes down the side of my calf. My feet hurt/ache at night and when my husband rubs them they are ok and my body feels a little better. All this is on the right side except for the feet (it is both). I have had Xrays and MRI's and now the ortho surgeon wants a CAT scan. The person who read the MRI said I had a fractured hip. The ortho surgeon can't see it. He thinks I have "multiple Issues" and that is why I cannot get a diagnosis from anyone. I had my Thyroid Levels checked yesterday and the dr.'s nurse told me today that I had some very low levels. I am on Armour 60 mg.and Synthroid, only 25mcg. I was fine on Armour but low in my T4, thus the Synthroid.
All this happened after about a month and 1/2 on Synthroid. The first doc (an osteopath Sports Injury Dr.) I went to picked up on this immediately and said to have my levels checked right away but it was his MRI/Xray group that called and said I had a fractured hip. As a result, we thought that was the PAIN PROBLEM so I didn't go have levels tested.

It has now been 3 months since this started. I go to my Thyroid Dr. Tuesday. I am so glad to have found this site. At least I went and got it tested and I know that my levels are off. I hope this is the cause of the pain.

We thought I was going to have a hip replacement, then the frustration of no one knowing what it is. Hope I can get some answers on this pain but at least I will be getting the levels straightened out (hopefully).
Thank you for posting!
Well I started out with hyper thyroid, not graves, I had carpol tunnel in both wrists, but felt great for 28 years, then things went haywire, went thru thyroid storm due to eating an over abundance of seaweewraps big mistake, went thru RAI and went hypo even bigger mistake, lets see severe carpol tunnel wrists crack so loud I think the bones will break, water retention shoulder will crack and almost go out of joint, they pop out but pop back in, I'll sit in bed and my feet will sometimes get very warm, and some nights I'll sit in bet  and I'll get this ansy feeling in my legs so I'm constantly moving them very disturbing, I'm on Armour thyroid so my t4 is very low .8 my tsh is extremely low due to the high t3 my t3 I still have room to wiggle but my doctor said she doesn't want to raise due to the tsh i asked to get some t4 but she doesn't want to mess with it, wants me to see my endo doc but I said no, because she'll lower my meds due to the tsh, i was lucky to get this doctor to raise them as much as I have, my endo wanted me to stay where I was 3 increases back, that was even worse then it is now,  I was so constipated, my digestion was horrible my sleep was horrible, and my skin was so dry my feet had these red lines drawn on them, plus my legs felt like I had weights connected to them, plus my thinking was terrible brain fog, I would start a sentence but would forget a word and get confused or forgot what i was even saying. I tell you the list goes on and one, right now I have cracking wrists, once in awhild cracking shoulders and warm feet sometimes and some water retention, and some restless leg problems, but its so much better then it was before my meds had been increased 3 x's ago, hypo thyroid can be so debilitating, and life consumming, its taken me 3 or 4 years to get where I am today, what i don't understand is how some people can get leveled so fast no problem it baffles me, I asked my endo doctor if other people had the problems I was and she said no, I don't dknow if I believe her crazy
I began having plantar fascittis (PF) two and a half years ago.  
I have a heel/bone spur as well.
The PF just came back the beginning of this month.  As it continued to get worse I began to get a burning feeling in both of my feet.  While looking for help for that I came across this information.  Very helpful.
Looking back over the last two years. I have had two cases of frozen shoulder one year apart, I have had elbow pain diagnosed as golfers elbow, don't golf :)
and this PF twice as well as a problem with my knee.
Looking back I realize that I noticed my skin on my arms sagging for the last few years.  No matter what I did it did not improve.  It looked pretty scary.  I see that can be a side effect of the thyroid not working well.
I only knew hypothyroid could cause weight gain, hair loss.
I was not aware that it could destroy my fingernails, cause confusion, I have had a lot of confusion combined with irritability which I have been blaming on something else.  I also had to have back surgery Christmas 2013...which I thought had given me PTSD.
I am going to have to work to wrap my brain around this new information.
Thank you all for posting. As my niece says "Sharing is Caring"
Maybe I am not an old woman at 58, maybe this is  my thyroid :)
Dee
For people reading your post.
Alert: Low thyroid can not only cause miscarriage it can also cause permanent mental disability in the child. My thyroid dose was increased from 1.5 to 2.5 when I was pregnant with twins. The dose should have been increased with my other pregnancies.

When I was originally diagnosed with Hypothyroidism my TSH levels were so high the lab stopped counting. I was told I had been hypo for so long! I had had symptoms for a long time but no doctor ever caught it. Even on thyroid replacement my TSH has fluctuated--my range has been .1 as in point 1 to 30. So my symptoms continue.

My worst symptom is the tendon and muscle and joint pain. Almost debilitating but I learn to push through.
For people reading your post.

Nerve pain and numbness in feet, toes, calves, forearms, hands-- even elbows and occasionally shoulders an hips. sometimes a zap n the face or scalp. TSH was in the normal renage but free t3 was1.5 (range 1.81-4.06) and free t4 was .97 (1.8-1.97). so obviusly low t3 and t4 n the low of the range- doc put me on synthroid 75mcg/day and compunded t3 (22mcg twice per day). re-eval in 3 weeks. How long, once leveles are properly adjusted, does it take for the nerve pain and muscle pain to abate? Weeks? Months ?
numbness in feet only- nerve pain in the other areas mentioned. t4 range .8-1.97.
Hi Teresa here. I am 61 years old, partial removal of thyroid at 33. 10 years later got Graves Decease. Got Radio Active tablet to drink, hospitalised and brought out the situation. Got to see a Endocrinologist, and he sorted out the TSH, T3 and T4 levels. I love this dr to bits! I started picking up weight, depressed,  sat around all day, no energy , hair falling out, sore muscles, stiff joints. My medication was increased to 2 Eltroxin daily plus 2 Tertroxins. After feeling very bad in beginning, this changed my whole well being. Then comes the weight, 92kg.. Endo put me on medication to loose weight and 3 months later I joined a gym. Did very well, Endo decreased 2 Tetroxin to 1  due to (Blood results) By the way, I weighed the 85kg and that is after a year on diet medication. I weaned myself off this as side affects was getting to me. Anyway  I am slowly getting back to 92kg , despite gym and spinning classes, and with latest blood results still on 1 Tertroxin, weak muscles, burning sensation on the bridge of my R foot, stifness in joints, my Endo seems to be happy with treatment. Is there ANYBODY out there that can help patients like us.???? Don't forget the endless dry skin, blurred vision. Or, is this ok to live like this?
Getting off the gluten and lowering my carbs helped me drop from 90kg down to 75kg in the last 12 months.  Ph of the blood may be relevant regarding tendonitis.  Lots of fruit and vegetables should help.
Please post your thyroid related test results for the last several times you have been tested.  Also, if tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, please post those as well.  
I just recently have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. It started in my legs so at first they thought it was diabetic neuropathy since I am a type 1 diabetic but I wasn't experiencing it in my feet or hands and I wasn't having any swelling. It's like I aged 30 years in a matter of months. Weak muscles, burning muscles, pinching in buttocks, aching burning hips, burning lower back and knees. My bones ache and muscles cramped like crazy. It got to where it was hard to move some days. Couldn't sleep due to the pain. Was a total basketcase. This all happened from Jan 2015 until now. Luckily my Dr got to the bottom of things when he did bloodwork.  I have been started on levothyroxin. Have been on it for a little over a month. The burning in my thighs and kneed has decreased alot so I am hoping it only gets better from here. Went back yesterday and they increased my dose to  88mcg. Hopefully it will only bring more relief because this burning in my back and hips can be something aweful and I cannot take pain medicine. I am only 31. I ended up stepping down from my job bc it just became too much for me. This disease is just so frustrating. I see that not everyone experiences the muscle and joint pain. If you don't, consider yourself blessed. I could deal with the anxiety, depression, thinning hair, ears ringing, loss of taste and constipation but the muscle and joint pain will sometimes leave me laid up for two days in pain if I overdo it and it don't take much to do that since I dont have the energy that I used to. I am hoping to get my joy and my life back.  

***@****
i would like to talk with others living with Hashimotos.
I've been diagnosed about 3 ms. ago with hypothyroidism(not hashi or graves) and as of right now I'm still struggling to find a balance. I have a doctor appointment next week, hope to get some answers. My first symptoms started 16 years ago, and in the last 6 years got really bad, until 6 ms. ago everything came to a complete stop.
Had severe muscle stiffness in my shoulders and hip/back area. About 2 yrs ago I added magnesium (400mg at night) and it helped some. Last year started having really bad pain in the soles of my feet, and when I would get out of bed in the morning I could barely walk, all my joints hurt; like my tendons were gonna snap. I was starting to have carpel tunnel  pain, really creepy all these pains coming out of nowhere. I have this pain shooting down my left leg from the hip to the knee in the back side. I've only been on meds for about  2ms.   very little stiffness in the back/hip area,  the muscle pain is all gone. Before the meds when I would lift weights, I would be sore for 5 days , now is like a normal person should feel. The only one still lingering here and there is the shooting pain in the left leg.  The "dumb" people around me were telling me that is normal to feel pain, that's how it is when you're getting old! still 39
Please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges for the last several times you have been tested.  Also, if tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, please post those as well.  
Hi. I'm new here and would like to share my story.  :)  I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 1/2 weeks ago, prescribed 25 mcg levothyroxine. Due to my right side of the thyroid being swollen and my voice going hoarse for about 8 months now, I was sent for an ultrasound last week. Still awaiting those results. However, in the meantime I want to share my symptoms that I've struggled with for years to the difference of being on the medication for such a short period.

For years I have struggled with so many health issues. None enough to stop me from pushing forward. But enough to make me feel like complete crap, daily.....for years. I had NO IDEA the thyroid played such an important role in my health, mental state and quality of life.  I've suffered many of the symptoms, however the past 8ish months, the symptoms have escalated to an all time high. To a point of me thinking "This is it! This is how life is now". I turned 40 this year and really thought this was just a part of getting older.

-Leg cramps and pains for 15 + years -- Acetephetamine was my best friend (several times daily), it's all that helped

-Fatigue- Barely got through the work day, napped daily

-Woke up sluggish every single day

-Unclear, sluggish thinking, not good for working in accounting. My doctor put me on Adderall about a year and a half ago. Yes, it helped with work but I became completely dependent on the energy it gave me to get through every day. 20mg 3 x day

-Anxiety, I was put on Lexapro and Xanax. The Xanax I was taking 1 MG 3 times daily

-For the past year my acne has been terrible. Developed in the weirdest places. Behind the ears, large puss filled acne. On the butt, lower back and waste, upper thigh. Not only did I have pimples, but thick black heads in the buttock area.

-Severe tailbone pain ( I can't say for sure this is associated with the thyroid. But when I read that it was a symptom I figured it was). The pain was so bad that I had to stand at my daughter's games, I couldn't sit in stands even on cushions, couldn't go to the movies and sit, couldn't sit in hard chairs and driving for a long while caused the pain.

-No appetite but yet gained weight like crazy. Just the past two month I've gained 12 pounds. All together, I have no idea but it is a lot.

-So sore that when I got out of bed, it was all I could do to take my first several steps

-Constipation every day

-Dry skin. My heels on my feet, especially the right was so severely cracked that it always hurt, especially when I drove because of the pressure with my foot resting on the heel. This is with me using the dry skin remover tools and pedis often

-Hoarseness, I noticed around last October that my voice started sounding I had some sort of sinus draining hoarseness. It never went away and in fact got worse. My voice was never clear, and I felt like I was constantly needing to clear my throat.

-Eyebrows. What right eyebrow? Especially on the outer edge.

-Menstrual flow has been about 11 days long

SO, now fast forward to 2 1/2 weeks on Levothyroxine. My symptoms have improved or have gone away! The first thing I noticed in the first 48 hours was my energy level. I am SOOOO much more energetic. No naps needed.

-Adderall taking only about 10 mg day now / was at 60 mg
-Xanax taking only 1 mg daily/ was at 3
-Acne- CLEARING UP. For the first time in a long time I am not so ashamed of my backside
-I wake up, thinking clear, ready for the day with ENERGY
-My cracked heels are healing
-I've lost weight, maybe only water weight (not sure), but within two weeks I am wearing my jeans without needing the ponytail holder I was using to fasten the button together for the extra space. One of my capris are too big now
-Voice is not 100% normal yet, but so much less hoarse. Huge improvement.
-Constipation is gone

I'm sure there are more things that I am forgetting, but the important thing is that my quality of life has improved drastically. I am still in such shock that all of this time my problem has been so simple as a thyroid dysfunction.

Why are people not tested for this on a regular basis? I've been getting treated for symptoms of depression, ADD, anxiety. I've been in pain EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.  For me to wake up and go to work, get through my day not being medicated on Xanax and Adderall is still taking some getting used to. I depended on them to live, and to not need them now is very weird. I have the mental urge to pop the pills, but I realize I don't need them.

I have been reading how a lot of people have a hard time getting their meds/levels right before they feel better. And I feel so blessed to have felt like I found a "cure" so quickly.

Oh, I haven't done enough research yet to understand the level readings, etc. All I know is my "level" was a 35 when normal is a 9? This is what my doctor told me. I really don't know what that means. I see her again this Friday and will ask some more about that.

So, I'm waiting for my thyroid ultrasound results now. Hopefully that's all fine and this medication keeps doing it's job. It's been almost like a miracle pill for me.

The other day, we were leaving the store and my 16 year old said "I'll race ya to the car". No, I did not win....but a month ago I would have barely been able to walk, nonetheless run through the parking to my car.

I just wanted to share my story and give anyone reading this some hope that there is help out there!

Again, I don't understand why we don't get thyroid tests as our regular routine yearly check up. I've been on medications that have treated my symptoms but not the core problem. I never had any idea that this is what it could have possibly been. I had to ask to be tested. I googled "hoarse voice" one day, saw hypothyroidism and then read the symptoms. THAT WAS ME. That's when I asked to be tested.

Good luck to all! I will update when I find out about my ultrasound results.

Check out Doctor Kharazian on YouTube
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your progress, at long last.  

Usually doctors will at least run a TSH test for a patient with so many symptoms that are typically related to being hypothyroid.  That part is usually less of a problem than inadequate testing beyond TSH and the misinterpretation of test results, and inadequate treatment.  The reasons behind all that malpratice are lengthy, so I won't get into it right now.  

Suffice to say that a good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 (the biologically active thyroid hormones), as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results, and especially not TSH results.  You can get some good insight from reading this site written by a good thyroid doctor.  Note the various other subjects on the left margin.

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html

Also this is a good article written by another good thyroid doctor.

http://www.nahypothyroidism.org/why-doesnt-my-doctor-know-all-of-this/

I am happy that you have improved so much but I want to warn you that 25 mcg of T4 med is not very much.  Frequently hypo patients starting on  thyroid med find that in response their TSH goes down, and that can diminish output from the thyroid gland, with the end result that levels don't change much until the dosage is raised enough to raise levels of Free T4 and Free T3.  Free T3 level is especially important because it correlates best with hypo symptoms.  

So about 4-5 weeks  after starting on the med, it would be a good idea to go back and re-test and confirm if you need a dose increase.  Specifically you should request to be tested for Free T4 and free T3, along with TSH.  Note that Free T4 and Free T3 are not the same as Total T4 and Total T3, so make sure they test the Frees, not Totals.  Since hypo patients are also frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, make sure they test those also.  Low levels can cause symptoms that mimic hypothyroidism.  D and ferritin also affect metabolism of thyroid hormone.  D should be about 55-60, B12 in the upper end of its range and ferritin should be about 60 minimum for ladies.

When you have new test results if you will please post them, along with ranges, we will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  

Thank you all for posting, this has been very helpful to me

Barb and Gimel really helped me.  I was not taking my thyroid medicine on an empty stomach, just took when ever I thought about it.

Thanks again, Dee
Hi I had Hoshi's as well, had my thyroid removed, then it started the pain was unbearable. Legs, arms, lower back into my thighs.. I went to MASS General in Boston MA and see a Dr. Wiler. She is amazing!  She worked with me and we have a great regiment set up with Levothyroxine and Levothyronnie and ALL of my symptoms have gone.. Speak to your Dr. and insist on a T3 med along with your regular Thyroid med believe me it helps. I had massive pooping issues and they did find I have Chrones but ever since the adjusted my meds all that has gone away as well. Seek the T3 meds if you do not take them yet!
Wow, this is eye-opening.  I've been on Synthroid with basically no relief in my symptoms for 13 years.  I've been treated for tendinitis in my wrist, elbow, and severe IT band pain (hips) by physical therapists and it didn't even help much. I hurt (ache) all over at this point.  Feet and hip pain is the worst (no arthritis, met with an ortho and he diagnosed tight it band and sent for pt).  Also have lower back issues, mainly the SI joint.  If I've been sitting in a chair for any length of time it takes about 4 steps before I can stand up straight and walk without limping.  

Finally getting my FT3 checked hopefully soon.  Maybe I'm low.
My biggest symptom was joint pains. Second one was sluggish body with mild tiredness. The pain is in knees, heel. Shoulder is stiff but not pain as such. In fact, I have discomfort in every joint of mine.

I went to a doctor assuming I have joint issues. He immediately diagnosed me as having osteo-arithritis. His observation was based on the fact that a slight bone spur was seen. This is the right knee where I hurt years ago due to accident. Since he was an Ortho doctor, he was not even thinking about possibility that my joint problem could be due to something else (Hypothyroid) and my joint not being very good is getting aggravated due to that. He asked me to go for a surgery.

I knew deep inside that this is not specifically a joint issue. Since, I can differentiate between local joint pain and pain due to muscle around the joints.

I went to a general physician who immediately diagnosed me having Hypo issue.

I have been taking Thyroxin for almost an year now but my joint pains continue. I would be visiting Endo Dr soon and will let him know my condition and coax him to go for more tests.

ANyway, that's my story ...
How did you get a do as you are in normal range. I believe I have a thyroid issue due to having various symptoms but don't know how to get my Drs attention
This is a very old thread and Kimmydee2 hasn't posted in several years... If you post your own information, maybe we can help you get your doctor's attention to help you get treatment.
I have experienced increasing muscle issues since I had my thyroid removed. Endocrinologists completely unaware of any such thing. Increasing fascial adhesions, causing pain and bones to go 'out' of place, muscle 'seizing', difficulty stretching out and relaxing muscles, all leading to leg and nerve pain. Recently read an idea to use a rolling pin on my legs to break up adhesions. Bought a used one and I think it'll really help! They also suggested using undenatured whey protein to help get cystein into all the cells, which is supp. to help. I am looking into that, along with comparing taking sulphur with undenatured whey. I have spent a lot of money at the chiropractor and massage therapists, otherwise I don't function too well.
I just started using a book I found called "Healing Back Pain Naturally" that provides a series of exercises and also discusses the emotional aspects. I picked it up for a buck at a dollar store, but that was a while back. Too soon to say if it will help, but the exercises did relieve my lower back stiffness.
LazyMoose, have you tried using un-denatured whey protein? I read about it on a different site, guy claims it helps by getting the proper form of cystein into cells. I haven't tried it yet, just read it.
I have tried a slight increase in my T3 and T4, not to hyper range of course, but did not notice a change in my muscles. My doc wanted me to reduce both again as she said "I had plenty of thyroid hormone circulating in my body".
Are you talking name brand only, or is generic fine too? I used to be on name brand Levoxyl but they had issues and stopped making it for a long time. Don't even know if I can get it again.
Always wondered about doing rolfing. I am nervous about how painful it is. There is a rolfing school where it's a little more affordable but not sure if that would be as helpful.
I hope you signed up for "Obamacare" then? It's a pain but you get a discounted premium if your income is in a certain range. If you're too low you get put on Medicaid.
This is a very old thread and most of the previous posters are no longer active on the forum, so it's hard to say whether any of them will respond or not.  

I see you've posted a new thread of your own, so if you'll post your actual thyroid hormone levels (Free T3 and Free T4, along with TSH) there, we'll be better able to see where you are and possibly make some suggestions as to what you might do to help get better...
I have stopped eating gluten now for over a year and have lost 15 kilograms (about 36 pounds).  More recently a flare up of tendonitis and loose bowels prompted me to try going of milk and other dairy products and since then my tendonitis has improved.  I take T3 and T4.  Apart from weight loss my Cushing's symptoms appear to have waned with some abnormal body hair growth disappearing.  Wart-like growths on my trunk have also disappeared.  My appetite has waned, I have more energy and concentration.  I suspect I have had these food sensitivities all of my life.  I was diagnosed with Hashimotos (with antibodies over one million) in February 1993.  I don't bother with thyroid hormone tests anymore.  How I feel is 'king'.  I respect the opinions of functional medical practitioners such as Doctor Kharazian (sp?) on YouTube and also Dr William Davis, with his talks on the dangers of the modern hybridised wheat.
I was diagnose with hypo since 2016, I was so new in this... still learning day by day! I’m 35 years old... everything was good since this year start feeling pain my left hand and one finger... I heard about Hashimoto, I hope so I don’t have that yet. Thank you for all the information it really help me a lot
The single most important thing for you is to find a good thyroid doctor.  By that I mean one that will treat clinically (for symptoms) by testing  and adjusting  the biologically active thyroid hormones. Free T4 and Free T3 as needed to relieve symptoms, without being influenced by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  You can get some useful info from reading at least the first two pages of the following link, and read more if you want to get into the discussion, and scientific evidence for all that is recommended.  

http://www.thyroiduk.org/tuk/TUK_PDFs/The%20Diagnosis%20and%20Treatment%20of%20Hypothyroidism%20%20August%202017%20%20Update.pdf