Thyroid Disorders Community
Muscle tension/nighttime clenching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Muscle tension/nighttime clenching

I am a 51 yr old female who has been treated in the past for both hyper and hypo thyroid issues. 4 years ago a neck scan revealed cysts that were cold but I was treated for too much thyroid. I moved and the new doctor discontinued the treatment. Recently symptoms such as heart palpitations, detached fingernails, hoarseness, are returning so I am scheduled to see my primary care doctor.

I have clenched my jaw for years at night. Now for about 3 years I increasingly clench my fists and toes and night, and pretty much all my muscles in my back and neck are tight. My lower legs and sometimes thigh muscles hurt all the time as do my lower arms. Griping is hard. I have mid level numbness of my hands almost all the time.

I've tried everything I can think of to stop clenching at night with no luck. Now I find myself tensing all day. While I do have some pretty stressful stuff in my life I feel like I deal with it well and don't really see this as a stress reaction.

Now I'm reading this stuff relating it possibly to thyroid and I'd like help explaining this to medical professionals in a way that gets me some answers. I went thru treatment for back pain a couple years ago but did not mention the muscle pain because I really thought everyone feels this way. I believe I would be diagnosed with fibro if I told the doctor all the symptoms from fuzzy brain on down the list. In fact when being treated for the back trouble we really examined the possibility of MS due to my symtoms (symptoms) (falling, dropping stuff, facial itch, etc).

I am so sick and tired of hurting all the time, being exhausted, weight that I can't control (I'm not officially overweight but have a belly fat problem and could stand to lose 20 pounds in my opinion)>

HELP. i just want to go to sleep and sleep and not be a tight mass when I wake up.
So sorry you are feeling so bad. Welcome to our world!!

Magnesium deficiency causes the muscle tightening like you describe. You might want to try taking a warm bath in epsoms salt before bedtime to see if that will help you. I know it does me with all the clenching and muscle tightening I do during the night.  And it helps with stress as well.

Hope you feel better.
Thank you for that insight. I'll check into magnesium. I sometimes take a spa (jacuzzi) before bed and it does help a bit. Trazedone helps too but I prefer to find the cause!
I know exactly what you mean about finding the cause. That is me.

do some research on the magnesium deficiency. Thats what I did.  And stress seems to speed up the rate your body uses it, requiring more.

Trazedone did nothing for me. No sleeping pill has helped me.
         I am a 28 year old male and I read your post regarding muscle night time tensioning.  All of your symptoms are almost identical to mine.  I  have constant back pain that wraps around my stomache and hurts even more when I sit down.  Pain is also in my upper thighs and calfs which I know is because I clench my toes at night.  I also think I have stress under control but I am so confused with this pain that I assume it must be caused by stress. The pain is also in my forearms and I have slowly lost the strength in my hands.  I am going to see a neurologist in August and the more I read I also am worried that it is MS.  There is a history of autoimmune disease in my family and my mother has hyper thyroid.  I think I have been cleared of this issue.  My question to you is, have you gotten help for your problems since you last posted this and how can I get tested for thyroid problems?  Please get back to me someone, anyone as I am desperate.
Im a 50 yr old female-getting the clenching thing mostly at night  on mostly right arm and neck-had tendonitis from yrs back-now chills-freezing-fear-then sweat-premenopause i guess.-Anything to reduce acids-calcium/mangesium-baking soda helps--but the thing that helps me the most is loranzapam-it stops the muscle spaz.Dont know whats causing this! maybe acidity and hormones
jj
Ok what i get lately is quite similiar but slightly different..

I genrually think that i am quite a relaxed person but over the last few months i get the most uncomftable tension in my back, neck & shoulders during my sleep.

I could be fast asleep then suddenly i get this pain and feel all my body is tensing up whilst i am asleep, i try and wake up as the tension builds but sometimes it takes about 10-15 mins.

Its a very weired feeling because i know i am asleep and cant wake up but the tension is so painfull that i wake up and all is ok, i feel the tension slowly leave me.

its very strange- i dont know what it is??

any one else get this?
forgot to mension my hands & feet also claw up!
What an awful prison our bodies can be.  I'm discovering more and more imbalances in the body that can be traced to imbalances in hormones.  Powerful little things they are.

Aside from your thyroid, please consider having your progesterone levels checked.  They may be low, which causes a battery of symptoms (and has connections to thyroid deficiency too).  If your progesterone is "fine" consider a) it is truly fine, b) the normal range doesn't actually means it's normal for you and get a better second/third/fourth opinion (you can also order bioidentical creme online and try it for yourself), or c) you may have an excess of estrogen/estrogen dominance.

Magnesium is great -- I also suggest taking some more potassium.  Please be wary of of this if you  have a history of kidney problems however.  Potassium can be low for many reasons from working out to burnt-out adrenals  and our muscles and nerves need it to function properly.

Best of luck and hope you feel better.  
I have a night problem with feet clenching & drawing sensation.Also i am sensitive to bedding touching my feet.I dont know if it is gout..?
I have been muscle clenching for some time now, but it has progressively worsened. It started with abdominal clenching but has now moved on to whole body. (arms and thighs and calves) Very uncomfortable to wake up to this. I also feel very tired always as this pattern of clenching wakes me up and interrupts sleep. Thanks to this forum, I will see my doctor and request having my thyroid levels looked at. I will also look into a magnesium supplement to see if that offers some relief.
are you taking any antihistamine pill ?  I am a normal healthy 52 woman with no medication and when i started otc allegra for 2 years since  i went to see dr just for runny noseand watery eyes she suggested to take any otc allergy meds before the symptoms appear and been taking it daily 180 mg my god it ruined me..I beame irritable extreme anxiety , drpression , muscle weakness, dry skin hair and body, hotflashes, difficulty urinating, frequent uti, memory poor,difficulty breathing, heart palpitaion  became an older 70 year old woman all of a sudden..went to the dr and no one can figure the real culrprti ..they prescribed xanax, zoloft..iam health drug conscious so didnt take any, even went to  see a urlologist and they also want to do all sorts of invasive test and my gut feeling told me it isnt right cz i know thisese test are really invasive... Fortunately Thank God did my own research internet and came across alot of bad reviews from consumers and stop taking allegra for atewo days and wow I see a sudden improvement and now 15 days without it hoping that i will recover from the bad effects it haad on my body.... My upper back pain went away, urination is slowly back to normal, heart is not racing so much and iam improving..... NONE of the DRS took the time and Iam paying them to get healed not to GET KILLED... Be proactiv on your health
I place two large overstuffed pillows at the foot of my bed, standing up lengthwise, I then drape my sheet and blanket over them. It doesn't look pretty, but...my feet are warm enough without having the weight of the bedding pulling down on my toes.
Being that this is a thyroid forum and the symptoms described sound very much like hyper thyroid, I would urge you to have your thyroid checked out and have thyroid labs run.