Thyroid Disorders Community
My TSH goes up and down with the highest of 5.4/

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH of 5.4 is that cause for concern? Help
Yes, by any standards, 5.4 indicates hypothyroidism and requires further testing.  Ask your doctor to order free T3 and free T4.  Those two tests will reveal your true thyroid status.  You most likely should be on thyroid hormone replacement therapy.  TSH of 0.3-3.0 is considered "normal".

Do you have hypo symptoms?
thanks so much for answering my question. I have some hypo such as fatigue, extreme muscle cramping, joint pain. On the other hand have some hyper as well such as fast pulse, rapid heart rate etc. I'm so tired this morning could stay in bed all day. My symptoms seem to flip flop and around my period the symptoms seem to intesify..

What would be my level if I had a hyper thyroid?

I'm very frustrated since it seems like I have to jump up and down for my primary to listen to me. I've been back and forth to many drs. in the practice with no luck. IT wasn't until my rheumoltolgist noticed my fluxuation in my tsh level that she told me to get a referral to an endo which I did.  
TSH < 0.3 is considered hyper.  However, TSH is such a poor indicator of thyroid status that it's use in diagnosis and treatment is increasingly questioned.

Ask for FT3 and FT4.  They'll tell you a lot more about what's going on.

You might also want to have thyroid antibodies tested (TPOab and TGab) to see if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  Often people with Hashi's experience hyper to hypo swings, especially in the initial stages of the disease.

It's good to hear you'll be seeing an endo.
My sister just found out she has a thyroid problem. What I don't understand is why her doctor has not jet giving her any medication knowing that her problem is really bad. My sister was telling me today that her doctor said, that she needs to be careful on what she drinks like nature medicine because she could die. Her thyroid goes up and down she's very confused and scare. I don't know what to tell her maybe some advise from people that has being true this.
Has your sister been diagnosed with a thyroid disease?

Do you have the results of thyroid labwork that you can post?  If not, you can call her doctor and request results.  If you do that, also ask for reference ranges for each test since those vary from lab to lab and have to come from her own lab report.

What are her symptoms?  Has the doctor explained why he has chosen to wait, and not start treatment immediately?