Thyroid Disorders Community
My TSH is 5.3.T3 and T4 are within range

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Is it necessary to treat mrginally high TSH when T3 and T4 are normal. Why does TSH increase? What are the treatment options?
Your pituitary releases TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) when it detects low levels of thyroid hormones in your body. Your thyroid responds by releasing hormones. Your TSH increasing because your pituitary detects low levels.

Do you have symptoms of hypothyroidism? Did your doctor order these tests for something specific?
Have a look at this listing of typical hypo symptoms and tell us if you have some of these.

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html

Also, don't over rely on TSH.  TSH is inadequate as the main diagnostic for thyroid.  At best it is an indicator to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also  levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (note that these are not the same as Total T3 and Total T4).  FT3 is the most important thyroid test because FT3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Studies have shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while FT4 and TSH correlated very poorly.  

It would help us if you would post the actual test results for the T3 and T4 so that members can see if they are for Totals or for the Frees.  Also it is important to know where the results fall within the reference ranges, so  please post the ranges shown on the lab report.  
This are the results of my lab tests
TSH=5.3
T3=2.9
T4=1
TSH is a little bit higher than normal range. and T3 and T4 are normal. Am I suffering from hypothyroidism? do I have to take medication?
Are there alternative methods to improve thyroid function?
What are the reference range for these results?

If they are at the low end of normal range treatment is warranted low.

High TSH (and lower range FT3/FT4) is quite associated with increased cardiac and other health risks.
my tsh level was 5.3 for three years since i was diagnosed with hypothyrodism my dose was 25 but last year the doctor told me to take 50 and i continued up to now and my tsh level is higher 7.8 what should i do
Most importantly, how do you feel?  Do you still have hypo symptoms?

TSH is a very poor indicator of thyroid function.  Your doctor should be testing FREE T3 and FREE T4 as well as TSH.  

After seeing your TSH of 7.8, has your doctor suggested an increase in meds?

Have you ever had antibody tests to determine if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis?