Thyroid Disorders Community
My TSH report shows 16

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My TSH report shows 16

My TSH report shows 16, is it danger. What are the symptoms of thyroids disease.My muscles have pain all around and my weight is gaining. Please reply as soon as possible
  • Right TSH level (1 replies):
    I am 52 years lady. My TSH level is 5.65. My periods h...[more]
  • How to manage TSH? (1 replies):
    My wife has thyroid disease. T3 & T4 is normal, but TSH ...[more]
  • TSH (1 replies):
    TSH Sensitive 1.596 What does this mean.. Reference Rang...[more]
  • TSH 24.06 (1 replies):
    I recently started having some ED problems and have had ...[more]
  • tsh is .88 (4 replies):
    hi. i just took a thyroid blood test and my tsh is .88. ...[more]
Do you have any other test results? Like Free T3 and Free T4, If so post them with the reference ranges provided for each, and include the ranges for the TSH, It is not dangerous to have a tsh of 16 but it indicates an underactive/Hypoactive thyroid condition and that you may need to take medication, which your MD should have prescribed for you. Regards FTB4
TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that it is inadequate as the sole diagnostic for thyroid,  At best it is an indicator to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and FT4.  FT3 is the most important because it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Studies have also shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while FT4 and TSH did not correlate very well at all.

Even though TSH is only an indicator, along with symptoms, your TSH result is high enough to be a good indication of being hypo.  Your TSH is not high enough to be dangerous, but along with those symptoms, it is certainly high enough to start on thyroid medication.  Has your doctor prescribed any meds for you?  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient by testing and adjusting levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  It would be a good idea to find out if your doctor is going to be willing to treat you in this manner, and also if the doctor is willing to prescribe meds other than T4 types, if advisable.  If not, then you will need to find a good thyroid doctor that will do so.