Thyroid Disorders Community
My TSH report shows 16

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My TSH report shows 16

My TSH report shows 16, is it danger. What are the symptoms of thyroids disease.My muscles have pain all around and my weight is gaining. Please reply as soon as possible
Do you have any other test results? Like Free T3 and Free T4, If so post them with the reference ranges provided for each, and include the ranges for the TSH, It is not dangerous to have a tsh of 16 but it indicates an underactive/Hypoactive thyroid condition and that you may need to take medication, which your MD should have prescribed for you. Regards FTB4
TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that it is inadequate as the sole diagnostic for thyroid,  At best it is an indicator to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and FT4.  FT3 is the most important because it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Studies have also shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while FT4 and TSH did not correlate very well at all.

Even though TSH is only an indicator, along with symptoms, your TSH result is high enough to be a good indication of being hypo.  Your TSH is not high enough to be dangerous, but along with those symptoms, it is certainly high enough to start on thyroid medication.  Has your doctor prescribed any meds for you?  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient by testing and adjusting levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  It would be a good idea to find out if your doctor is going to be willing to treat you in this manner, and also if the doctor is willing to prescribe meds other than T4 types, if advisable.  If not, then you will need to find a good thyroid doctor that will do so.
I wouldn't be worried about it, my levels were originally greater than 150, the test only goes up to 150, that was 6 months ago and as of last week my level is 16. It takes time and gradually increasing your synthroid month by month to get back to normal. Even at 16 I feel so much better and so will you over time!!
Megan1977... This is a very old thread and gautamb is no longer active on the forum.  I did want to let you know that you're mistaken when you say the TSH test only goes up to 150.  We've seen many people here on the forum whose TSH tests have been considerably higher than that.  

I do hope your doctor isn't testing and treating you, only, by the TSH value, though... Free T3 and Free T4 are the actual thyroid hormones and are much more important than TSH.  Free T4 should be about the middle of its range and Free T3 should be in the upper half to upper third of its range...