Thyroid Disorders Community
My spleen is enlarged and thyroid levels are up. What does this mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My symptoms started about six weeks ago.  It seemed like the flu.  Nausea, diareha, fever between 100 and 102 and stomach pain.  A few days later the Nausea, diareha and fever subsided, but the stomach pain and soft stoold continued.  The pain was not severe, until recently, so I did not do anything about until a two weeks later when the other symptoms returned.  When I went to my PCP they sent me to the ER to be checked for apendicitis.  The CAT scan came back negative.  Again, the diareha and nausea and fever went away, but the pain continued.  (the pain is mostly above my naval, toward to the right side of my abdomen, and now increasingly on the left side as well.).  This weekend I returned to the ER again because my symptoms had worsened again.  This time they did a CAT scan with contrast, but again found nothing .  My PCP recenlty ordered blood work which showed that my throid ws way off.  Also, I had an ultra-sound this week and it showed that my spleen is enlarged.  Can my spleen be whats causing my pain?  Can my increased thyroid levels be related to any of this?  I have an upper GI series scheduled for next week, so I'm hoping that will shed some light as well.  If anyone out there can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.
Hello! Have you been checked for mononucleosis? Had a sore throat recently? Viral infection? The thyroid probs may be secondary to a viral infection that is irritating your thyroid...                                                                                       MM
i've had all sorts of blood work lately, but don't think I've been checked for mono. I haven't had a sore throat at all.   I have since met with my GI specialist and she doesn't seem to think that my spleen is enlarged enough to cause concern.  Now she is sending me for more upper GI test.
i had high cholesterol enlaged spleen...low t4 thyroid levels but elavated t3 active thyroid levels ..and two nodules ...turned out to be thyroid cancer ...got whole thyroid removed adequat thyroid replacement sythroid ...and no more high cholesterol ...no more migraines ...doctors checked for years just my tsh ...and i complained about ..infections headakes ...nothing ever came of it ..until i went to germany on vacation passed out in a restaurant after dinner ...was transferred to a really small german hospital ...and they diagnosed me in one day ...from thyroid ultrasound ......some bloodtests ..and a edocrinologist on duty that day!!!go figure the social health care system .Lol..in america i got meds for migraines palpatations for my heart ...cholesterol meds ...basically lots of meds no cure .........and lots of tests and not one taest send from one doctor to the other because no electronical medical records ...but since i had ...great health care ..i got MRI CT scan for my liver ...ohhh lets not forget the brain specialist ...and a night in a hospital to ..look at my brain waves ..to find a reason for my migraines .....i think in america they dont want to cure anything they just want your money and fill you up with meds ...for the ones that have health care ...and the rest well they die to without a cure ..