Thyroid Disorders Community
My tongue- see picture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My tongue- see picture

Hey everybody-

Take a look in my "Photos" and you'll see a picture of my tongue. It is enlarged with scallpos around the edges like a pie crust.

B12 deficiency has been ruled out. My endo says the differential diagnosis is b12 def and hypo.

I am hypo, but TSH has been below 2 since December.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have a tongue like this?
mine looks like that too - for at least the past 13 years. i have no idea why.
Thanks- it is new for me since last summer when I really began to feel bad.

Maybe it is nothing?
I have heard something about having a scalloped tongue...I'm sure it was a mineral deficiency of some sort.  I wish I could remember what it was I read.

I've give my non functioning brain a shake and will write again if I remember.  Try googling  it with deficiency to see what comes back.

Sorry you arent feeling that great.  Hopefully you'll feel better soon!
i hope it's nothing.
A dental website says TMJ or hypothyroid.

Another site says it is from pressing the tongue against the teeth without realizing it.

Technically it is called macroglossia.
Darn girl! Are we thinking the same thing!? lol I wanted to post this today, in the other forum but didn't (I know I have mentioned it before). The reason I wanted to post, is yes...it is uncomfortable but silently...amyloidosis worries me. Albeit, it is rare and that much, I find some comfort in.  
See under primary hypothyroidism: http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000938/

As you know, my tongue isn't near as bad as yours. Recently, it has been worse. The indentions are becoming more pronounced. Yet and as you know, aside from borderline TgAb and T.S.I. my thyroid registers fine.

So, I am bothered with this condition for two reasons: discomfort and...fear. =-/ I wish I knew the answer and  resolve for both of us!

~Kate
As an addition, I have read that TMJ, Bruxism, tongue thrusting and B vitamin deficiencies can cause this.

Wow .. this is interesting ... when my #'s were off I was moving my tongue against my front teeth .. something very new to me .. and finding I was getting a canker sore, pimple on the tip that was very sore and ulcerating .. my dentist saw it on my well-care exam, too.  However once we regulated my TSH (I am now 1.3) it has GONE AWAY completely.

If you are able to get on Dr. Lupo's site to ask if this is hypo-related give it a try and maybe even reference back to your photo for him to take a look at .. couldn't hurt.

Cheryl
I remember now where I heard about the scalloped enlarged tongue.  It was from my Naturopath.  Sometimes I think she is wacky, but sometimes she gets it right.  

She checked my tongue when I first met her for longer than she checked anything else on me.  When I questioned her about it, she told me about TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE and that they believe that the tongue has a lot to do with YANG.  

I dont know if you are willing to try alternative medicine, but try looking it up and see what google can find.  It will make for interesting reading, at the very least.

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.

Yes I am also having the same issue !!! If you made the treatment please share with me. I am really worried about this.
My tongue is still the same despite a TSH as low as 0.93. (Currently 1.2).

My free t4 and t3, however, hover just above the low end of the normal range.

Still working with endo and Lyme doc to get my levels optimal for me.

If the tongue gets better, I will certainly post about it here!

Good luck with yours. Sorry I don't have more insight for you.
Thanks for posting this.  I read it and looked in the mirror, and my tongue is scalloped now.  It's not as pronounced as your tongue, though.  I'm not sure how long it's been that way (I don't check out my tongue regularly).  Very interesting.  I only started having symptoms of something (hashimoto's?  feel like being strangled, thyroid sore on one side to touch, extreme fatigue) a few months back and am still waiting for the appt. with the endo.  I'll see what I can find out about it.
My accupuncture Dr. uses tongue diagnosis.  I think the scalloped edge is accumulated dampness from the liver and spleen.  I'm not sure that I "buy" the alternative explanations.  But I really like the way I feel after accupuncture.  Like a spa treatment that's covered by insurance.
My tongue is like that (also with ulcerated mouth) when my FT3 and FT4 levels are down.
Hope that helps.
Ok, just because of your post I went and looked at my tongue in the mirror.  It is not as badly scalloped, but pretty close.  I have never noticed my tongue change before.  Either I didn't know to look or today is a bad day for me, but them I'm under a lot of stress right now.
Hi my mum is also having the same looking tongue.
8 years ago she had overeactive thyroid and recover since than.
Recently, she is feeling bad again, but her TSH and Free T4 show normal.
Do all of you feel that the tongue is very uncomfortable?
Feel like it is tremoring?
And always feel like moving your mouth?
I always felt like I had a swollen tongue...dry mouth, and shocking ulcers in the mouth which made me literally break down and cry.
I havent had it since being on Mega B Vitamin although I tried every remedy going.
Coincidence? I dont know.
I cant see your pic of tongue,
i am very much in pain and was googleing the sollution when i came to this thread.

my tongue is in the same condition + i taste like licking some iron in my mouth. thyroid needs testing i suppose .

last time i tested i had no thyroid problem.
Mine looked like that for 8 months when I had oral thrush. It finally went away. I think mine was attributed to an antiboitic I was taking.
the pics are now gone but i'm wondering about candida?  it's something i've just been learning about after my doc mentioned i might have it.  it's intestinal yeast and it can cause thrush like issues on the tongue - along with a huge list of other symptoms that all look similar to hypothyroid.
have you had your reverse t3 tested?  Mine was so high that is was counteracting the other thyroid levels.  Now that i am taking a compounded T3 my tongue is better, no more black, puffy eyes and I have more energy.  worth looking into - a great dr wrote a book about thyroid disorders and how they are not treated because all emphasis is on the TSH which isn't accurate.
Has anyone discovered an answer to this question yet?  My tongue goes through periods of being painful - I've been in one of those periods now for several weeks.  I generally get little white spots (like an inflamed taste bud) on the tip or bottom tip of my tongue this when happens but today my tongue is sore on the bottom sides.  I haven't noticed anything particularly odd looking about my tongue though and I've looked to try to see if there are noticeable sores.

I also get cold sores periodically - used to get them really bad and, over the years, seem to have developed a bit of resistance to relief from the typical remedies.  One day (in the early '90s) I ran into an "old school" pharmacist that told me to take L-Lysine - he said 2 tablets a day for a couple days, then 1 a day when I had the sore.  He recommended 1 a week for preventive measures.  I tried it and the sores don't get nearly as bad as they did and heal much faster.  Sometimes I am able to stop them from developing entirely and I used to be miserable for literally weeks when I would get one.

I've tried the L-Lysine ( which is a very inexpensive supplement sold just about anywhere you get vitamins and minerals) for the tongue discomfort but it doesn't seem to be as effective as with the sores but at least it cuts the pain from the sores that sometimes accompany the tongue discomfort.
Hi, my tongue is scalloped, too. I had a previous B12 deficiency. I have hypothyroidism and wear a night guard for clenching/grinding).
This is a very old thread and most of the previous posters are no longer active on the forum, so it's unlikely Kitty will respond.  

Tongue swelling and scalloping are also symptoms of hypothyroidism.
OK, thanks.