Thyroid Disorders Community
My wife's thyroid mood swings getting hard to deal with

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My wife is a thyroid cancer survivor. During the surgery, cancer treatment, and subsequent periods, I was able to power through it because it seemed like it was a temporary situation. Once in a while, she'd take on a completely different personality. I dubbed it "the hulk" because she becomes aggressive, irrational, and inconsolable.  Recently on a night out, we hit a trifecta combination: 1. She forgot to take her pills. 2. She had a drink 3. She was hungry.  It was a dramatic display. It seems that even though her medication is balanced by her doctor, I'm able to sense when she may have taken a pill off her usual schedule.  She insists that it's impossible for me to detect it. (Trust me, it's pretty obvious!)

It seems that the issue cannot be addressed directly because she feels it unfair that I blame her mood swings on her thyroid. The way she sees it: Her mood swings are my fault for any number of reasons.  

To give you an example of what things I can do to set off a storm, here's what happened at the restaurant the other night:  I turned my head for a second to find a table and another group snatched up a table before us.  I was told I was a useless human being for not being able to secure us a table.  When I suggested that food + lack of thyroid meds + booze might be causing an exaggerated response, she stormes out and caused a scene.  

So, to those spouses out there having a hard time: You're not alone.  I hope it gets better. Currently, it's tearing our marriage apart. I hope relief comes soon.
Believe me, it affects both spouses.  She can't be very happy with her symptoms and her mood swings.  I suspect that her medication is not right.  If you could post her thyroid test results and reference ranges members would be better able to comment on the adequacy of her testing and treatment.  Also, has she been tested for Vitamin D, B12, ferritin, and a full iron test panel?