Thyroid Disorders Community
Naturethroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Naturethroid

Anyone on here taking naturethroid?  Like?  I'm trying to find 1/4 grain dose in Dallas for when I'm ready to start hormone again in a couple weeks.   I can't find it.  My pharmacy keeps ordering it but it doesn't come in.   Is anyone taking it or has any knowledge of this product?

Thank you
also does anyone know if the canadian thyroid comes in a 1/4 grain?
OK can yall help me settle this debate in my mind.  I will be starting thyroid soon.  I have both nature-throid  1/4 grain now  AND Erfra 1/2 grain (which ill split in 1/2).  Which should I try?  Anyone try both?

thank you,

bruce
Bruce, you need to pick a medication and stay with it; you can't take 2 different ones at the same time and expect to get well.  

What does your doctor say?
That's the reason for my post.  I'm trying to decide.   She said naturethroid or erfra.   It's my choice.   I'm trying to see which you guys prefer.

I'm still getting those weird attacks from 3 to 5 which no one can figure out.   I'm on adrenal support.
The doctor placed you on adrenal support and that should be the focus right now first, before any decisions are made on thyroid replacement. You may not be on thyroid Bruce for months due to adrenal insufficiencies.

Planning ahead is good - however in this situation - nothing will work if you rush things.

Stay with the plan and co-exsist with this doctor. She sounds like someone that is definately working on the roots to get you on some healthy road.
I'm on my fourth week of adrenal support.  I feel much better, a lot of my symptoms are gone!   No more nausea or motion sickness.   I'm having aldosterone, renin, and rt3 tested tomorrow.

I just wanted to prepare for the thyroid and was curious wahst people like better on here.
Remember the rule of this condition.

One size doesn't fit all - by NO means.... I see it in your cyber personality Bruce that you are steps ahead in your thinking then where you need to be right now at this time.

You should be excited for tomorrow. Finally someone looking at the prime problems many here suspected all along.. You're blessed to have found this one. Stay on that thinking and not so much thyroid - at this time.

With those tests tomorrow - it would be so impressive if they took the Free T3 and Free T4 blood labs to and had those drawn with those others..

Really - that is where I would go, adding them to those above.
Thank you for the kind words.  I have made substantial progress in the last 8 weeks.  Ive gone from hell, to being able to see over the edge of the pit.  I still have some pretty major issues that come on.  One of them is my money situation so i have to be very picky in which tests I choose.

Are there any posts whereas people discuss NT VS Canadian thyroid?

I am hoping tomorrow that they find that my aldosterone is low.  That may be a key to this mystery.  Would be nice as I am told that it is pretty easily treated with another supplement.

Thank you,

Bruce
I am in Pennsylvania and my pharmacy has only been able to get 1 grain naturethroid tablets which works for me because I am on 2 gr per day.  I was diagnosed recently with adrenal fatigue and am just starting treatment.  I feel awful ....like i am 90....severe fatigue, shortness of breath on mild exertion, muscle weakness and pain, depression and anxiety.  feel like i am in a whole.  I would appreciate if you could let me know what you are doing for the adrenal issue.  I am on naturethroid for total thyroidectomy from thyroid cancer.  Thank YOu.
How do you know or what are the symptoms of adrenal fatigue? Just wondering if the symptoms are different from the hypo symptoms?
Hi Bruce! My dog actually takes Naturethroid (I'm still waiting to get "officially" diagnosed to get my own meds...it's tempting to sneak his, but I have managed to stay away so far...I really love my dog and want him feeling good). He gets 1/2 grain from a mail order pharmacy called Bellevue Pharmacy. Before being on Naturethroid, he had his medicine compounded from this pharmacy during the Armour shortage. After that, we switched and he seems to be doing well.
can i have the number for your dogs endo?  

as far as the adrenal fatigue,  I dont think i can really publicly say what i do for it on here.  It seems to be more of a "private"  type deal.  I can tell you and so can the people on this board that were sick of reading my posts, that I feel 80% better since treating my adrenals.  I still have some issues, and have yet to start thyroid because i want to make sure im good and regulated first.

here were my symptoms

nausea GONE
motion sickness GONE
shakey (shaky)  GONE
fatigue   comes and goes
ear ringing   still present, but in cycles now that i can predict and medicate for
hungry still present
insomnia  GONE
sex drive A little better, but not where it needs to be yet.

BRuce

thanks
I am really pleased to hear that the treatment of adrenal fatigue is relieving many of your previous symptoms.
Isn't it interesting that I (and many others) have read so many times that BEFORE a person is medically treated for thyroid conditions their adrenal function should be evaluated.
Not once did my former endo or current endo test my adrenal function. I do believe I asked for a cortisol test some time back - but that was just a morning serum cortisol test.
I think its simply bizarre that patients have to research their illnesses online in order to ASK the doctors to do the right thing.
THANK GOD for the internet and the information we are able to discover.
Were it not for the internet we'd be at our doctor's mercy in a far worse way than we already are!
Amen!

Now,   Has anyone an opinion on nt vs armour from Canada?
Oh i ended up in the ER the other night for Pitted edema and terrible pain in my lower legs and abdominal swelling. I got a real ear full from the doctor when talking about looking on the internet about my symptoms and problems. They really made me feel stupid, Yet I got no answers as to why suddenly I am having this edema problem. Just gave me Lasix and sent me on my way saying it could be the hypothyroidism. Sometimes I feel like Never going back to the ER no matter how sick I feel or hurt. They never seem to care or do anything much. Just my opinion.
You mean Naturethroid Vs. Erfa from Canada (not Armour), right?
I think what you will need to do is choose one (after the adrenal issue is mended and the doctor gives you the go-ahead) No one knows which one your body will adapt to better.
Some folks that take NT will say it works well for them and some folks will say Erfa has made a difference.
I'd just select one that is the easiest to obtain, and give it a decemt trial run. You'll need to find what works for you.
However, I've heard many good things about Erfa and have thought about trying it myself.
I have both drugs.  I own both.  I am trying to figure out which one to attempt when ready.   The doctor is okay with either way.   Why is this so hard?    It's a simple request.    
You might think it's a simple request, but since we are all different, you are the only one who can actually make that decision.  

Those on NT stay on NT because that's what works for them; while those on ERFA stay on ERFA because that's what works for them; just like I stay on Tirosint and generic T3, because that's what works for me.

When the time comes to start on med, just pick one, like Shelley said, then give it a decent try.  
Okay then, I vote for Erfa, when the doctor says the adrenal situation is ready. I read Erfa is supposed to be like the original Armour.
I hope you are ready to give the medication the time it needs to work though. Taking it a few days and then declaring it as ineffective will get ya right back where you were.
Its like a person taking birth control for a few days and then expecting not to get pregnant the rest of the month! Meant to be funny, not rude!
I will be anxious to hear how it goes for you!
Erfa is like the original Armour. It does not contain microcrystaline cellulose as a filler. That alone can interfere with absorbency in SOME people.

ERFA uses dextrose, a form of sugar, you can even taste it. Can take it sublingual (10-15 minutes) or swallow, works the same!

After shipping, my 2 grains per day = about $15 per month. Insurance will not cover ERFA as it is not imported into the US. Just because you can get it with a faxed script is not good enough reason for insurance. But at the low cost of EFRA, insurance can kiss my a$$.!

I will only say ERFA worked for people when NT did not anymore due to its filler change just like the new Armour.

The only drawback of ERFA is you have to convince a doc to get started on it, and then you need to order it ahead of time. Never know how long it can take to get it. 1-1/2 weeks for me is usual. And there is always the thought that some idiot politician will try to outlaw us getting Canadian meds since it takes money away from the greedy US pharmas.
When the new health care reform goes into full effect, meds from Canada will no longer be allowed........ that's because American pharmaceutical companies don't want the competition...... suggest that you either stockpile it or get on a med that's available in US.  
Are you sure? Its part of the Obama plan? Any details or links?

I know its been a separate issue presented every year or so.
Barb - that didn't even cross my mind but it makes a lot of sense in these unpredictable times. I called a few pharmacies today curious to see who might have Naturethroid - none had it in stock - orders through suppliers - suppliers out of stock - one pharmacy that only had 16.25 mg (1/4 grain) available to even order. Pretty weird, I thought.
Guess I won't be going that route either.
NT was never stocked very well across the US. And the few Walgreen's that had it for a few customers switched to Acella 'NP Thyroid' - you have seen that info here haven't you?

You can call RCL Labs (NT), talk to a real person to tell you were to get NT. Its common in Arizona pharmas, home of RCL Labs.

I wish we would get some positive feed back on the new Acella use. Many people out there that got Armour from Walgreen's are now taking Acella - some not aware of it.

But several forums have heard from people saying they feel terrible after a few days. That is not giving it enough time though, and I thinking some people are possibly overreacting. I gave NT 3 months before I called it quits.  Switching from any dessicated brand to another will have more of an 'acceptance' period than switching from one synthetic T4 to another synthetic T4. Just the way dessicated works in the body.
THANK YOU!!   This is what ive been trying to get y'all to post.  I have three options available to me.  I am hoping and praying that i am able to take any of these thyroid options.  I have been on adrenal support for about 3 weeks now.  I am trying to go as long as i can, but im rapidly putting on weight and i cant stop being hungry.

I was unable to take any of the synthetics.  Even one dose of synthetic made me sick, dizzy, motion sickness, agitatedx10, hated everyone etc.

Option 1:   Erfra.  I have a bottle of 99 of them in my closet.  They are 1/2 grain.  I have a prescription left on file with our friends for 400 more.  I would cut it down to 1/4 grain.  Cost me $19.00 for 100.  I took 1 and couldnt tolerate.

Option 2:   Naturethroid.  Finally got my 1/4 grain in.  They told me they will hold for me indefinitely.  The pharmacist knows me quite well.  He said that they have 1/4 grain and 2 grain in stock now.

Option 3:  Compound armour 1/10 grain (yes thats right 1/10 grain).  This is what was given to me before adrenal support because i was so sensitive.  The only problem with this is, I dont trust it, and secondly if i go to get it filled again it may be different.

Ive heard good and bad about NT, nothing bad about efra.

Oh and as far as a refill goes..... Ive got 99 of these puppies.  If i split them in 1/2 ive got 200 of them.  IF i make it even for a week on this stuff, ill be happy!

bruce
PS-  the doctor I see now, prescribes NT first and then if it doesnt work she tries T4.  Not the other way around.  its refreshing..
You were UNABLE to take the synthetics.....

I think Bruce  you were unable to take any thyroid medication period....

in the state you were in with adrenal issues... Thyroid meds, all thyroid meds can have an adverse effect in the body when the adrenal are konked out.

You may do extremely well on any thyroid meds after your adrenals are strong and the choices of NT or synthetic could all still be an option.

Since you got the meds and all types in your possession... RELAX.....!

Take one thing at a time...

Savor the blessing of you finally seeing light after a long period of he//..

D o n ' t ....... j u m p...... t h e ......... g u n.    

Hi Lazymoose, No, I'd not read about the Naturethroid stocking issue. I wish I had time to read though all the posts but I don't : ( Missed that one. Heck sometimes I missed them in a thread I am reading!
Bruce, you wrote that you have a stockpile at home of Erfa and Naturethroid in your possession and are asking the forum members which you should take.
You posted above that you took "1" Erfa (Option 1) and you couldn't tolerate it.
First of all, a bad reaction to one Erfa would mean to me that you are possibly allergic to something in it. Why list Erfa as an option then, if you could not tolerate it before?
I defer to Stella and Barb who are community leaders and have the most experience. Like Stella says above - relax and continue with the adrenal repair.Except for the hunger, weight gain, and tinnitis and 3-5pm episodes you experience, you stated that most of your other symptoms are gone.
Your doctor is leaving the choice up to you, which natural dessicated you wish to give a try. You came to the forum to have help making a choice, but ultimately like most situations in our lives, the final choice is up to you.
You know we all wish you well whatever you decide.

As Stella said, dont jump the gun. Yes , remember you had issues with as the thyroid med types you tried in the past, and it possibly was from you adrenals. They take time to fix from what I've read. As far as your weight gain and other symptoms, you can concentrate on that after your adrenals are better.

And what if you can take any thyroid med after your adrenals are corrected ?- that would be a dream come true that you will only know about by waiting this through.

So, I take it you did take a saliva adrenal test not to long ago that was for reviling than a standard blood or urine cortisol test?  It showed weak or fluctuating adrenals?

If that was the case and you found some type of heath professional that took these results seriously, consider yourself lucky. Many have to guess at treating there adrenals (many supplement options), as very few docs know what to do.
I don't agree we are allergic to these meds and that is something to go by. Possibly the fillers in rare cases but we are not allergic to hormones. That is absolutely not part of this.

Hormones that dip - or even rise - in an abnormal method either by illness or regaining strength can - and most will, have a skin reaction. Our skin is the largest living cell we have and if it was becoming abnormal it too - can send outward reactions we now can see.

Hives - rashes are more of a reaction to something happening in the body causing this upset. The word "allergic" is thrown around way too much in the medical word as a conclusion to "something" but no one knows.

The fact is with thyroid medication when you have shot adrenals is simple. Your adrenals will not accept the thyroid getting well before they have a change to do that first.

That's it.

Just want to make sure that what I wrote was not misunderstood. I didn't say anything about allergy to the hormone, but rather I wrote 'possibly allergic to something in it.'
The fillers and binders added to medications can cause a reaction, even mild, such as itchy skin. From everything I've read, the term used for this is often hypersensitivity or allergic reaction. The body was reacting to something it determined to be an allergen.
I took Levoxyl for a few weeks. I had itchy skin, parethesia, headaches, pounding in my ears. Switched to Armour and three days later those symptoms were gone. I was told it might have been the dye or fillers in the tablets, not the hormone. I never thought of myself as a rare case.
i tried levoxrl ONE time.   about 6 weeks ago i met an endo that thought levoxl was the be all/end all to my problems.  It did the same thing to me that all the other synthetics did.  Ill never forget that day.  My wife was online booking a trip for us to go to disneyworld and i was sitting next to her with my head in my hand begging for a way out.

I am so anxious and ready to take the NT or erfra and try it out.  But I am doing exactly as stella has suggested.  I am feeling better on adrenal support every single day.  Every day i feel a drop better.  Its amazing.  I still have my downs, and im putting on weight from the stuff, but I can deal with the weight loss part later.  I think im actually at my normal BMI at this point whereas I was below it prior.  Hey, my baggy clothes fit now LOL
I remember recovering Bruce. Its something you never forget when you are blessed with things improving.

It started out small where I would feel better for a while ( example would be 2 days out of the month) then those increased...

Almost 14 months went by with improvement and I reacall thinking about what the beginning was like. I began with 2 days feeling OK the entire month and now I was at feeling good ALL days - except for 2 or 3...

Take your time. I also remember when things were improving I grwew so impatient that I too went too fast and was doing things too quickly.

I did have to start ALL OVER after that one and learned my lessons the hard way.
Yeah I agree.  Im covering all my basis this time.  If I take my time and do all this adrenal stuff first, take all my vitimans, be a good little jewish boy, and then i take the NT (or armour) and I fail, at least I know that i have done everything that i could.

I honesly am STILL to this day convinced that there is something else going on causing a lot of my problems that has yet to be discovered.  I really do not understand how I can feel great all day long (like today) and then at 5:30 take an ugly turn and feel like I just want to crawl under a rock and be forgotten about.  

Kind of a funny point of interest:  Do you watch mystery diagnosis?  I watch it every week.  1/2 of the diseases the people have that are left diagnosed are treated with the same medication I am using to treat my adrenal fatigue.  Which in my mind is telling me that there could be something else going on with me that I am treating, and not even know it.  

On the web site of Dr. Lam, he lists one of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue as "feeling worse between 3-5".  This is the only ray of hope to me that this really is adrenal and not something else.

BRuce
Keep reading.

I am still very confused with your message you sent me a few days ago and if you want to address that more in detail please reply to the message. I prefer not to discuss your concerns on this thread or publically.
Fine
Ok so moose likes erfra......  I think I may go that route...   Doesn't look like either are too popular on here.
Sorry one more question.......  1/4 grain or 1/8 grain,   If I have a bad reaction will it happen with the same magnitude on either strength?
someone just wrote me and said that NT was re-formulated and people have issues now since this has happened.  I thought that was just with armour.

So i think im going to do the erfra route....   1/4 or 1/8 grain to start.  Thats where i am now..

(i guess im answering my own post)

bruce
Yes, Armour was reformulated first, then NT was. Both of them still work for some people. Probably more than not. Remember its the odd balls that post here. People don't post so much saying this "med works great", they just leave.

As far as reaction. Just my hypothesis - lesser strength of any med will have less effect, what ever that effect is.
Ok.  Thank you.   I've been on adrenal support since Jan 25.  My dr. Told me to take it for two weeks originally.   Then she told me to take my time,  so I wonder how long to wait before starting thyroid.
Bruce
Two weeks is not enough for adrenals to heal. All hormones take time, a month minimum.

If your feeling better, why wreck it? Dont want to start over again..........

As far as weight gain- you seemed a little concerned on one post. But being male, and being in good shape before this, its my guess you wont have a problem shedding a few lbs later on with thyroid treatment. If I remember correctly you already had a habbit of working out , so nothing new for you to do, which is half the battle for some people - changing their life style..
I started adrenal treatment on 1.25.2011.  It's been a month.   Was thinking of starting 1/8 grain erfra tomorrow.....
I know these posts are from a couple years ago, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. Once my adrenals were supported like yours, I couldn't wait on the thyroid meds. If I had to go weeks w/o thyroid meds, I would die! I feel SO hypo! The fatigue is so severe I can barely stand up. I just switched back to NT 1/4 grain from SR T3 and clearly it's not enough. Going to do 1/2 grain for a few days and pray that's enough. I have 1/2 grain tabs that I was splitting in half. But since the tabs weren't scored, they didn't cut in half very well even with a pill cutter. Otherwise will call my endo next week and ask to be upped to 1 grain. How have you been since your original post?
1/4 grain of desiccated is hardly anything-- equivalent to 9.5mg T4 and 2.25mg T3-- an absolute baby dose. For reference, most people start on a low dose and raise in small increments several times over the course of a month or two. If you raise too slowly, you may find your body will sense the new hormone and produce less hormone of its own to compensate, in turn making you hypo again. It seems the average final dose ranges from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 grains, though everyone is different.
My adrenal numbers were in the toilet a few months ago, well, I suppose they are still not great, but my physician recommended
A: Adricor - it's a bit pricey but it works.  There are actual studies behind it.
B: Increase your sea salt intake.   She said a tsp. of sea salt in a glass of water 3x a day but I just.can't.do.it.
C: don't volunteer for ANYTHiNG!  You are your own project.  No exercise unless it is very gentle.
wow.. this thread is still alive?  I'm an old man now
So Bruce are you still on the Nature throid?  How has it worked for you?  I am switching next week from Armour.

T