Thyroid Disorders Community
Neck Hematoma during FNA Biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Neck Hematoma during FNA Biopsy

I had my first FNA on Wed. Aug. 4th, unfortunately, it didn't go so well. First of all, they didn't numb me, only with some super cold spray before they put the needle in (not sure if that's normal) I felt a lot of pressure, internal poking, couldn't really breath & something went wrong because when I sat up, I was very light headed & could feel my neck tightening up with severe pain in the back up my neck. Long story short, my neck was filling up with blood, they said I had a severe hematoma & admitted me to ICU. This was NOT was I was expecting at all as I read up on it & it's suppose to be a simple procedure! The endo doc had the ENT surgeon come see me as they thought they were going to have to do an emergency surgery. Thankfully will all the ice packs & many prayers, most of the swelling subsided as of last night & they discharged me. From what I read, this is extremely rare (like 1 out 25,000). Not sure if the doc fowled up or what the heck happened but I can honestly say, I'm not having one of those again. I was already having trouble swallowing & soar throat for about a month before they even did it. ENT doc says more than likely cancer or not, I will need to have thyroid removed. Has anyone else ever had a situation like this??? Or was I just extremely unlucky? Also, I am with Kaiser Insurance in Southern California. Does anyone else have any experience with Kaiser?
Well, the only think that I can think of is that, he hit a blood vessel while trying to get the biopsy. Dizziness is common because I remember one of the surgeons telling me to get up very slowly because that can happen. Thank God you are ok now, but as I always say...It not the biopsy, it's the person whose doing it..I had 3 and the 1st one is pure Hell for me but the other two were ok.

You more than likely have a multinodular Goiter and if so, it can grow and cause breathing and swallowing issues, which is the reason for most removals. Let us know the outcome of the biopsy.
Thank you for the reply. You are sooo right, it really just depends on the docs we choose! Thank God for forums & sites like this where we can learn so much. A few weeks ago, I knew NOTHING about my thyroid!

I recently learned the cyst he was aiming for was on the Isthmus part of the thyroid & the hemotoma was considered large at 6cm. A different ENT doc I met with yesterday said I am very lucky to be alive after reviewing my reports. Unfortunately due to the swelling the Endo doc wasn't able to biopsy the larger nodule he discovered while trying to do the first one. I am soooo scared to have another biopsy though so not to sure what to do. I also met with natural holistic doctor & he has started me on some herbs that I am really hoping will help. Supposable will shrink the nodules (even the ones in my right breast). I am meeting with the original ENT this week as he wants to check my swelling. Hopefully everything will work out! I know God's got my back so I am sure it will!

Take care,
Brandy
Mine was a nightmare too. I wasn't admitted as you but it was the most horrific thing I ever had done.

You would like at this day and age they would realize getting a needles stuffed in your neck and probing around multiple times could be more painful then just using an Advil or tooth gel to do it.

Here's a combination of thoughts. Not sure about you but I was panic stricken when they were in MID-stream on my FNA. My nodule is embedded so far back and much lower ( since my ablated gland now hangin the base of my neck) that the needless weren't long enough to actually get inside the nodule to pull out tissue. This stabbing went on for nearly 20 minutes as I was WIDE awake. After sweat beads ( no joke!) steamed off the radiologist's head - I sat right up after he yanked it out after all those tries to switch gauge needles.....  and said forcefully "OK- I'm done!!!!" - and thought I was going to fall flat on my face after I sat up. They caught me and gave me some ice chips but by then - I was losing it with them on what the heck was that all about?!!"

I stayed for the entire afternoon but was released due to the enormous swelling and blood - but was sent home later that day. No one was going to touch me - I swear I was in slight shock after the whole thing. What happened was my nodule released hormone too after it was punctured - so I spent days hyper terribly until I suspect - the hole closed from that FNA

I think the anxiety brought on the light headedness in my case. and I think it can be common - especially if its a difficult or deep lesion.

Nope!!! - I'll never go back either - regardless to have another look. I too, have been taking iodine to shrink it with some success but its still there - just hasn't grown.

God is Good! 6cm is very large and if they are having problems with the biopsy then they need to come up with something else. Shrinking is good, however if there are any abnormal cells, they cannot go away. Stay on top and you will be fine.
I had a needle biopsy of my thyroid this morning, the first 2 went fine, but on the 3rd one she hit a nerve.  The pain was excruciating and now my neck is completely swollen and I can't move it.  I have a terrible sore throat and ear pain.  Boy do I hope it gets better soon.
I suggest that you take a motrin because it will help with the swelling and pain. My first one was horrifying to the point that i had to leave work, i worked at a hospital. I've learned that it depends on the hand of the person doing the biopsy.
I had my second FNA just recently. The first time , the lady radiographer did the aspirate perfectly- lovely technique - no pain - no haematoma. Second time (man radiographer) - wonderful haematoma on the left side. The aspirate on the right side was painful and had to be done again since there were inadaequate cells. I had to suggest that I repositioned myself so he could get a better angle. This solved the problem - no pain - more cells. I think it is to do with the person rather than the technique.  My advice is to be vocal - afterall it is your body and your pain.
I just had FNA and biopsy on Sat.  I have had this done a few other times years ago.  One of the biopsies feels like he hits a nerve, but this happened the other times too.  I didn't feel like this was any different than the other times.  Well this time I went home and my neck started swelling up and I took myself to the ER.  The Dr's there had no clue and no clue what to do.  The swelling was getting so bad it was starting to affect my speech.  I guess anymore and they would have to do a breathing tube.  After CT scan it ended up being a hematoma I guess inside my thyroid.  Luckily after several hours it started to go down a little and they released me.  They told me no blood thinners, no exercise and keep indirect cold on it.  As of now the swelling has gone down more, but it is still swollen and my neck is extremely sore.  Hurts to laugh, cough anything.
Mine was bad too. I remember that it looked like a full wine glass of blood  aspirated from my neck! hang in there that was the worse of all of it. Kevin