Thyroid Disorders Community
Need Advise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Need Advise

I discovered I had hypothyroidsim during my 2nd pregnancy a year ago. My TSH levels were in the range on 24 all during the pregnance and I was on meds 175ml. After I delivered my baby I just assumed this hypothyroidism would go away. It is a year later and my TSH levels are still high in the 21 level. My dr increased my meds to 224 ml.

We would like to have another baby sometime in the near future. My doctor says he would not feel comfortable until it is in the 2 range. What else can I do beside take the meds and wait to help.

Can you please advise

all you can really do is to look after your general health (diet and exercise) for overall wellbeing and adjust your meds to get your levels optimal.

For pregnancy target TSH is usually between 1 - 2.  However, more importantly you should be medicated to get and keep your FT3 and FT4 in the middle to upper half of the reference range.

You will need to test and adjust meds every 6 weeks, until you get to target levels.  This can take a couple of months.

There are no shortcuts to this.  Only adjusting meds and testing and readjusting.

Otehr than this, make sure you maximise your medicine absorption and are very consistent in taking your medication.  Take the Medicine about 30 minutes -  1 hour before eating.  Do not take any other meds or vitamins at the same time (wait at least 2 - 3 hours before taking any other medicine).

If you do get pregnant you will need to adjust your meds to keep your TSH low and your FT3 and FT4 high. It is normal to have to increase meds by 30 - 50% during pregnancy so testing and adjusting meds during pregnancy is also very important.

Hope this helps.