Thyroid Disorders Community
Need Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Need Help

I am a 30yo female. I had a nodule on my thyroid that was a bit bigger than 2cm with vascularity, calcification etc. they removed the whole left side and the isthmus. Didnt want anouther surgery but my sister passed away and when they did the autopsy they found thyroid cancer. So I went ahead and had that side removed. I waited about 6 months to go back to the doctor to see if my thyroid might kinda level out and work fine with just the one side left. I havent felt good at all lately(tired, hair falling out, gaining weight, patchy skin,etc) so I went back to my doctor and had more lab work done but nothing is out of range. A bunch of stuff is on the high or low side but not out of range. My thyroglobulin is 15.6 and it says that Thyroglobulin AB is <20. T3 total is 148, Free T4 1.19, T3 uptake 27.9, T4 7.9, calculated T7 2.20, TSH 1.4, PTH value 20pg, and calcium 9.6mg  Do you think why I feel bad has something to do with my thyroid or maybe its something else. And do you think I need to be on Synthroid or something else because I dont have my whole thyroid.
Thanks a bunch
Ami
I am not an expert on labs or have an answer for most of your post but want to comment about the thyroid cancer that is found upon autopsy in people .... there are studies out there indicating I *think* 30% of people who have autopsies with this type of cancer (assuming it is papillary microcarnoma) may live forever w/o it affecting them and it is only found out upon autopsy.  There is much controversy and ?'s about whether or not to remove the other half if these microcarcinomas are found during a partial .. does one have the other side out too, etc.  Guidelines inc. different parameters Dr's need to see if they fit for add'l surgery and RAI, etc.

I had two nodules removed that were biopsied atypical but turned out to be totally benign.  I tell you my story bcz they found two other micro's elsewhere in the gland but fully encapsulated and no lymph node involvement.

I ended up on Synthroid bcz the other side isn't functioning since surgery!  Dr. Lupo on the other board quoted small% of those that this happens to.  I became hypo after surgery when I was pretty normal TSH beforehand.

So I am on Synthroid now long term for not only cancer supression but also for hormone replacement.

I wish I could help you more; but wanted to share my story and also extend my sympathies for your loss.

Cheryl (ThyCa 1/07 - Melanoma 6/07 Stage I Early and G O N E!!!!)