Need help understanding Thyroid disease.
My lab test for TSH came back as 6.98 (Normal is .4-4.50) and my FT4 came back with results of .85 (normal is .78 - 2.19)... I am waiting for my other labs to come back, but was wondering if anyone knew much about Thyroid disease.

Is it genetic?  With the two results listed above does this indicate I have low or inactive thyroid?
If so, could this be a contribution to the way I have been feeling lately?

I feel,
Very tired most of the time
low energy
have roller coaster emotions
really heavy periods
hot flashes
have hard time losing weight
not feeling myself.

I appreciate in advance anyone's help understanding Thyroids.

Some types of thyroid disease "run in families", which is a term used when a genetic connection is suspected but yet to be proven.  Your TSH and FT4 indicate that you are hypothyroid (low thyroid).  Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease.  The immune system sees the thyroid as "foreign" tissue and sets out to destroy it.  Hashi's is the most prevalent cause of hypo in the developed world.  TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibodies) and TGab (thyroglobulin antibodies) tests would indicate if you have Hashi's.  It's unknown what triggers the immune system to do this.

Your symptoms are consistent with hypo.  Has your doctor suggested treatment?