Thyroid Disorders Community
Neonatal Hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Neonatal Hypothyroidism

I am a 61 woman born with Neonatal Hypothyroidism.  Thank God, it was caught in time, I did not become mental retarded, in fact I have  IQ0f 120.  I started become very anxious in 1983, diagnosed with Bi-polar in 1988.  My doctor in the last year lowered my thyroid medication,L-thyroxine from .150mcg to .100mcg.  I took.200mcg most of my life.  Most recently, I have been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder and started using a light therapy lamp.  I wake up with brain fog to the point of heavy pressure in my head.  It takes about two hours for my head to clear in the morning.  I am getting more sleepy earlier tn the evening.  I know my symptoms are due to the current season.  My question is,  are these symptoms of anxiety, mood swings, brain fog have any connection to the fact that I was born with Neonatal Hypothyroidism or my Hypothyroidism in general.  I am also taking  40mg of fluoxetine HCL, 200 Lamotrigine, and 1mg of Lorazepam for insomnia.  I am 5'3" and my wight started going up after the Bi-Polar disorder was diagnosed and has gone up to 216 and varies from 190 to 210.  No matter what I do, I can't get below 190.
Tags: neonatal
Well, my daughter is nine and born without a thyroid gland. Do you have a thyroid gland? Well, my first thought is that you need vitamin D3 and probably B12. Many people with thyroid issues are deficient in vitamin D3 (which is really a hormone) That will help with the seasonal blues.Brain Fog,anxiety,mood swings,sleepiness (low energy) are all hypothyroid symptoms. I would have your doctor test for freet3 and freet4 levels as well as the vitamin d and b. Did these symptoms start after your t4 med was lowered? If so, you are probably being under treated. Are you having any joint and muscle aches? What is your morning temp. taken under your arm before you get out of bed? Should be around 97.8. If it is in the 95 or 96's then you are running at a low metabolic rate. You may also need t3, depending on the level compared to the t4. My daughter was on a t4 med and we had to switch her to desiccated (Nature- Throid) (has t3 in it plus t4, t1 and t2, calcitonan and selinium) as she was always low on the t3. She was not converting enough of  the t4 (storage hormone) into the biologically active t3 that the body must have, at the cellular level, to function properly. The t3 is the active hormone! Many endo.s never check it. Assume it converts magically and in the amounts needed. Many times this is not the case, and patients are left sick due to inadequate treatment.