Thyroid Disorders Community
New Armour

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

New Armour

Help i think i am posting in the wrong place. I just started taking thr new formuloated Armour. Switched from synthroid and cytomel. Anyone taking the new Armour. Please some input.....I feel awful.
You went hyper most likely because you started on too high a dose. When starting a dessicated med you CAN NOT just take the daily equivalent dose of a synthetic product like synthroid. You may feel very wierd (feel hyper and hypo at the same time).You need to start at a lower dose and ramp it up every 3 weeks till proper dose is achieved without negative side effects like hyperness. Temporary hypo is safer than hyper. It takes me longer than that ( to increase doses of dessicated)  than most people.

Unfortunatelly, you really cant judge a thyroid med in only 3 1/2 weeks. The people that are acurately voicing there experience with Armour have been on it longer.

Erfa is available from many Canadian online pharmacies. Just goggle ERFA thyroid and Canada. (Its a Canadian product not sold here). Doc faxes script, they mail it to you. Similar grains as Armour 30, 60, 125
Switching from any synthetic thyroid med to dessicated will take time to get used to it. Yes its possible to feel awful for some weeks. And you just started.

On the other hand New Armour just doesn't work for some people. The people that know this to be true usually have some experience with the OLD Armour, which they base their comparison to.

Some questions that will help members here help you:

How long have you been on the new Armour?

Do you have recent lab test results to post here?

Just what symptoms do you have?
Hi Thank you for w/b. I have been on it for 31/2 weeks. The symptoms started about 10 days into it. My labs on the 29th came back TSH .23 and my free t3 were a little high just by a few digits. but high. Previously on the synthroid I was taking 100 and 5 of cytomel in 2 doses my TSH was 1.8.  They switched me to 1 1/2 grains (90mg) og the new formula in 3 weeks i am at  .23 SO I guess it did work BUT my symptoms were exreme fatigue (in bed for the last week) literally could not move around or go up or down the stairs. Paleness, trouble breathing......like short of breath with any exercise and sore muscle especially my lower legs. Cold feet and hands....I could have sworn I was going hypo again.? By the way I did take a little extra (like 1/4 of the tab for a few days) when i thought the Armour was not working. Hope this helps. Thanks
hey guys thanks for this post,
I just started my thyroid medication for the first time yesterday. told my Dr. to give me armour...so he did seeing that I had the signs and symptoms, etc.... but I dont know if its old or new armour-- when I went to the pharmacy they only had 0.5 grains and told me that all other grains were on back order, which means that they gave me the old armour
I ll be seeing the doc again, so how do i tell him to give me new armour or  should ask at a pharmacy first if they carry "new armour" is that how i should refer to it as "new armour"

as for how im feeling, i took one grain yesterday felt a little better.... took my second dose this morning i ll let u guys know how it goes..
thanks for reading!
hi, I wish i could help more   but i am on the same boat. Apparently the old Armour was better. I too just started 3 weeks ago it made me turn HYPER so i guess it works. However everyone says the old was superior. The ne w formulation began sometime in 2009. ??????It is not on back order anymore. I want to get off of it......i have felt awfu
It's all the new Armour by now, as the reformulation happened last year. I doubt serriously if there is any pharmacy still filling  the old formula as supplies were depleated long ago.
You are suppose to add in the Armour very slowly once you go off a synthetic t4 med. Synthroid stays in your system about 6 weeks decreasing its effects in you by 1/2 each week. So you must convert over slowly or hyperthtyroid symptoms can develop. This is probably why your t3 is so high. If you switched over all at once, then you have too much available thyroid in your system right now and will probably feel badly for several more weeks until the Synthroid is completly out of your system.
Thank you so much. I was terrified. l spent last week in bed could not even move. It was bad. Are you presently taking Armour. Do you think it is better than Synthroid in the long run. Should Ijust stick it out.?
No not anymore as the new formulation did not do well for my thyroidless daughter.However, I did successfully and slowly move her over from a lifetime of Synthroid only to the original Armour (which she did great on) 1 1/2 years ago. The new Armour formula has more cellulose and less dexstrose in the fillers and binders and her freet4 dropped drastically on this and her freet3 dropped substantually. Had severe joint pain and fatigue on it within 2 weeks. I then switched her to original Nature-Throid. Has been on it for 1 year and done great. Now, unfortunatly it too has been changed in a similar way as the Armour. We will not be trying it. We have been slowly switching her over during this last month to canadian desiccated thyroid hormone (ERFA). As of yesterday she is completly switched and we'll do labs in 2 weeks. She feels fine and is acting well. Also, if you are taking the Armour all at once, you may want to split it up by 3 doses at 4 hours apart if posssible. Taking it all at once is alot of t3 and most do better spreading it out through the day. You alo could back off the Armour a tad and give the Synthroid time to get out of your system and then slowly begin adding it back in a little at a time as an option, but discuss with your doctor first.

WELCOME to our community!  You are in the right place and we're so glad you've posted and gotten such wonderful advice.

We're able to help one another which is the best part of MedHelp!   I know I've learned so much along the way and couldn't have done it without this community.

Sorry, not much techno knowledge for your ? - I am a Synthroid patient happened on your post and wanted to {{{{{[ wave  }}}}}}}}} hello!

C~
I have to know the actual labs on the Frees to comment correctly. Can you post those please?
Hi Thank you so much. Glad to here she's doing well. I have 2 girls. My older one 12 is having some symptoms that now I realize can be a warning. Always tired etc. I am watching her closely and she is schedule with an endo. Anyhows How do you get the Dr to give you the presc. ? I live in Miami.....and finding a Dr. to even consider not having you on Synthroid was a mission. Carefully executed.....and now it doesnt work!
hi again ....Sorry started and posted allover the place by acc. here are the labs THS .023
                                                                                                             free      T3 186  (70-180)
                                                                                                          antithyroglobulin 373 (0-40
                            Thank you.                                                                        TPO 24 (0-34)
When was that lab? What is your Free T4?

Reminder: You have been on Armour only for 3 1/2 weeks, so labs wont be very accurate.

Even if you changed from synthetic to a dessicated that is know to work well (like ERFA) you would still not feel right given the 3 1/2 week time frame. So this it a tough call.

You might feel better in 3 more weeks or you might feel worse - at that point you will know more clearly. If you feel  worse at 6 weeks,even if labs look OK, its not for you. If a little better by 6 weeks, give a little more time.

Note: I changed from Nature Throid dessicated (did not work for me) to ERFA dessicated in May. The first four weeks I was still hypo. I am still feeling better weekly and its already August.
I'm one of those on the new Armour (and Levoxyl too).

I had been on the same combo - Armour 60 mcg (1 grain) and Levoxyl 50 mcg previously.  But when the Armour shortage came around I ended up on 150 mcg of Synthroid and my FT3 went no where.  I don't convert easily to T3.  Then I was on Synthroid and Cytomel, still FT3 never got above 2.2.  Finally we went back to the same dosage of Armour and Levoxyl.

Armour seems to be the only one that brings my FT3 up where it should be.  So I probably need to stay on Armour.  But it's very individual in how our bodies respond to the thyroid medications.

Now my labs are:

TSH  0.1   (0.3-3.0)
FT4   1.2  (0.7-1.6
FT3   4.3  (2.0-4.4)

I had no symptoms of hyper, but they wanted to lower dose of Armour to 45 mcg (3/4 grain).  The 30 mcg is too small to cut in half, so I'm going to check with pharmacy to see if they can get the 15 mcg size.  They worry about my bone density (osteopenic) when my TSH gets that low, but I feel better at 0.1.  Beginning to drag again.
Hi Thanks for the input. Are nyou taking the new formulation now? (of Armour)
Hi again......Thanks. Actually I went Hyper......but with hypo, symptoms. A lot of people are posting the opposite though....that the new Armour is getting them hypO.????? I am moving around because I am cutting the pill in 1/2 and the fatigue has lessened in the last few days. I wish I would have never messed with my dosing. The New formula is getting mixed reviews. Most of them bad. ??????? How were you able to get the Efra. Thanks again for replying.
Yes, I'm on the new Armour formulation and was by TSH standards going hyper, without any symptoms.

It's been a battle this last year to get my thyroid in balance.  I do better on the combination of Levoxyl (T4) and Armour (T4/T3).  I took Synthroid for years but it wasn't working any more for me.
Hey girl
I live in Miami too!! what a coincidence....

ok.. so today was the first day and OMG...did I have RUNNY nose and sneezing ALL DAY

I felt great with good energyy and all... but this:( I am very sad.. I guess we both have the same formulation then since we are both in miami..

Did u experience any symptoms in the first week? I am pretty scared now!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh and I cant mess around with the symptoms coz im a student.. I might try to have them lower my dose and see coz i cant be sneezing all day what a waste of my day...ahhh
Hi thats great!!!! So we are on the same ride. Put me up to date are you starting or switching. i requested the switch and i guess the synthroid in my system along with the bang of new Armour made me Hyper. My symptoms were .....are awful. The first week I was ok but yes i did have a runny nose and a lot of sneezing. by day 10 I crashed I thought I was going HYPO.    Aches ansd flu like....AWFUL. Hey what Endo are you seeing is he good?  w/b Read the comments on this stuff they are scary, I dont know what to do. Oh and my TSH went from 1.8 to .023
Hi again and what pharmacy? I am getting my at cvs.

really its a myth on the bone issues with TSH. TSH has little to do with the bone issues.
Thanks a million......Now wish me luck in convincing them to even consider the ERFA. But I shall try.
This is going to be a complicated question. I had a TT for Papillary CA in Jan. Both nodes involved. Confined to thyroid. Thyroglobulin <0.2 and scans neg. I opted to continue to have levels checked rather than RAI treatment now. I figure if levels go up I could have the treatment then. Endo would have preferred treatment, but he is OK with it. I was afraid of all of the parotid and neuropathy complications. How has anyone done who has had RAI? Now on to the Armor question. Started on Synthroid and Cytomel in Jan. Switched to Armor after three months.Taking 60 mg twice a day. Last labs TSH 0.06, Free T3 339.7, Free T4 0.55. I feel terrible. Tired, don't want to go out, hair loss, dry skin, crying, frequent diarrhea. My endo feels I'm over-treated, but I feel hypo. Would Erfa be a good switch? My endo won't order an "over the border" drug. He did give me a script for Thyroid Compound 60 mg twice a day to have a Compound Pharmacy prepare. I am worried about the safety and quality control. Any suggestions before I go nuts? I'm on the faculty in a school and have to go back to work in 3 weeks. I'm seeing my endo in 2 wks. He's a good guy and has been pretty receptive to anything I've asked for. He's in a busy group practice, but if I call, I can usually expect a call back within an hour.
For your RAI questions, please start a new post of your own for the best help. I am not experienced in that aera. Three months on Armour is about the time you should know if its working. I dont know the ranges of your lab tests, they vary. But I'm guessing your T3 is high and T4 is low? If tat is the case Armour is not working right. If you want to try EFRA find a doc that will fax to Canada. Its surprising who will and who wont. We all need a back up doc too, for things like this. One is not enough. Compouning is spendy but local, all options have tradeoffs.
Hi not sure if this will help...but I switched to Armour almost a month ago from Synthroid/cytomel, and in ten days I became HYPER. My symptoms were also awful. EXTREME fatigue could not lift my arms, aches etc. Think of a horrible flu with no cold?  I was crying over anything.  My Dr.  even suggested I could be depressed but it all started about 1 week into the Armour. I have been reducing the dose for the last 3 days and today I switched back to the Synthroid. The crying stopped  and the aches have improved (almost gone) I feel almost back to normal.This New Armour did not work out for me apparently. I really wanted to go "natural" but Armour is no longer the same formula. A lot of people are going through similar symptoms. Lazymoose is right, post your question so you can get some input on everything else. Hang in there you are not going nuts. God Bless.
hi
Hi, Maybe you should have them check your calcium and PHT parathyroid hormone. My mom had been taking the old Armour for years and was fine. Then when it was not available she didn't do to well on the Synthetic switched back to the new Armour last fall. She also has parathyroid disease which they didn't monitor well. She started hallucinating, depressed among other many symptoms. We're in the hospital now, she's terribly sick, developed pneumonia here---parathyroid issues are nothing to "wait and see on". They'll may tell you that the the thyroid and the parathyroid have nothing to do with each other but I'm not so sure---not so sure at all.