Thyroid Disorders Community
Newest labs after Synthroid increase
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Newest labs after Synthroid increase

Howdy peeps!

Well, I think I'm getting to my "happy place"...Fatigue is way less, hardly any joint/muscle pains, memory is better and weight gain has stopped. -Also, I'm not contantly freezing anymore. I get a few palpitations after each dose change for a few weeks, and then my thryoid adjusts...So here's the latest labs (round 3 since getting put on thyroid meds. -Synthroid was just increased to 75 mcg.)

Jan 20, 2011             March 11, 2011       May 5, 2011
Vit D 3          (range 30-100)        46                        62                            63
TSH              (range .40-4.50)     1.58                      1.48                         1.35
Free T4         (range 0.8-1.8)       1.3                        1.5                           3.0 (1.4-3.8 -Free T-4 index)
Free T-3        (range 2.3-4.2        2.7                        
T3 Total         (range 76-181)                                    95                          33% (22-35% -T3 uptake)
T-4 Total (Thyroxine) (4.5 -12.0)............................................................9.0

So, I'm scratching my head here...Even though I went to the same lab, for some reason the test report is different and I'm not too sure what to make of it. Anyone? ~MM
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
There is a lot of outdated thyroid tests included in there.  They are not nearly as useful and revealing as Free T3 and Free T4 (not Total T3 and Total T4), along with TSH.  Those are the ones you should insist on each time you go in for testing.  I would even go so far as to make sure that the lab people who draw your blood understand that those are the tests.  You'd be surprised to find out how many times they just run on auto pilot and do the same ones they always run.  So it is best to make sure each time that you are getting the right tests done.  

The most important thyroid hormone test is for Free T3.  This is because FT3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have also shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while FT4 and TSH did not correlate very well at all.  Many times patients taking T4 meds find that they are not converting T4 to T3 adequately and that even though their FT4 level is adequate, their FT3 level is frequently too low.  So for all these reasons you really need to know your FT3 level.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat you clinically by testing and adjusting FT3 and FT4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  
Blank
Hi,
Weird, huh? I can't imagine why the lab didn't do the same tests That I've been consitently getting done -but I did'nt look at the lab order either prior to getting poked. I'll check with my endo's office again as these are off the auto-mailer copy I request from the lab.Thanks for your input!:) ~MM
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank