Thyroid Disorders Community
Nodule Lobe Wrapped around Nerve

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Nodule Lobe Wrapped around Nerve

I had a TT at U of Penn last week due to two suspicious nodules about 1cm and one cystic about .9cm.  The surgeon told me it is likely cancer, since the lobe or nodule was very sticky and had wrapped itself the vocal cord nerve. He said it was very difficult to get the whole thing out, and in fact they left a teeny bit there.

The Pathology results won't be available till the 12th, the day of my follow up appt. So I'm sitting around thinking about it a lot, mainly because of his secondary comment:

He said, "But it could also be the result of the 2 FNAs you had. "  He didn't explain more, and I didn't ask more again because I was kind of out of it.  

I had two FNAs within two weeks due to specimen on the first not being enough for U of P to offer 2nd opinion.  I had not read anything anywhere about FNAs causing this type of problems.  Is this something you've hear of.

Can FNAs cause nodules to burst. And if they're
The greater number of separate needle aspirations done at the time of the biopsy, the greater yield and ultimate accuracy of the biopsy procedure. therefore, it is common practice for several attempts to be made in the course of the biopsy procedure, or for the needle to be inserted into a few different locations within the thyroid nodule. A biopsy may not always give 100% accurate results, however, good centers will end up with informative and accurate results about 80-90% of the time a biopsy is done, certain types of nodules showing lots of follicular cells or Hurthle cells result in an inability to make an accurate preoperative diagnosis. With the limitations of the test,  it will not be uncommon for you to have more than one biopsy in the first year of assessment, depending on the size of the nodule, the clinical appearance of the nodule, and the judgment of your doctor.

Joan:

I can't offer much in terms of FNAs because I never had them.  And, I'm not as knowledgeable as GravesLady.  

But we have a few things in common.  I'm also a UPENN patient.  They took out a hot nodule from my left lobe in late June and they told me the nodule was wrapped around my vocal cord and they had to scrape it off.  My voice is still raspy and hoarse.  The nodule they removed was benign, but they found three spots of follicular and papillary cancer in the lobe itself.  In July they went back and removed the right lobe.  I have RAI scheduled in October.

Both the surgeon and my endo said I was a very unusual case.  

Gerry
Hang in there until the 12th .. the waiting is the worst part .....  

Many yrs ago I worked with a Maryann Fowler ... that was wayyyyyy back in 1977 .... your name brought back memories!!!!

Cheryl
Thanks for your feedback, Gerry, Cheryl and Graves Lady. It helps to hear experience from others.  We'll see what happens on the 12th. From what I've read in all these posts, it does look like whatever happens it is certainly get-throughable!