Thyroid Disorders Community
Nodule Size

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Nodule Size

Does anyone know what dimensions a "small" nodule would fall in?
I've never actually seen ranges for that.  It seems to be more or less subjective.  I have seen one surgical guideline that recommends removal of nodules greater than 4cm in size, but it was also not a hard and fast rule.

Mind my asking why you're asking?
Well, I can tell you that my doctor told me that a lot depends on the thyroid scan and ultrasound. If you have a cold nodule or hot nodule. Cold nodules are more prone to being cancer than hot ones. I have a cold nodule that measures 1.5cm that after biopsy revealed papillary carcinoma. My surgeon told me that if they found the biopsy results to be inconclusive (not able to determine if it was cancer or not) they were going to remove the affected lobe. I know he mentioned that they are more concerned with nodules measuring over 1cm. Now that it is confirmed papillary cancer I will be having a TT.
They never told you the results of your scan and are already scheduled for a biopsy? Did they mention if your nodule was hot or cold (if it took up any iodine or not?) Well I found out it was cancer 3 days after my biopsy and the surgeon wanted to see me in his office the day after he told me the results on the phone. When I saw him he asked me when it would be a good time to go in and I asked him if it was ok to delay a month because I had alot of loose ends that I needed to tie up. He was O.k. with a month and I have the papillary cancer- which he said is a fairly slow spreading cancer.
I'm asking because I overheard the ultrasound lady reporting to the doctor that there was a "small" nodule on the right side.  I have since had a scan and don't as yet know the results and today is the biopsy.  Can I ask how much time is between your biopsy results and when they say you'll have surgery?  I should not jump the gun but I've always been pretty accurate in my gut reactions and I can pretty tell that this one will have to come out but I have many things scheduled in May and wouldn't mind putting surgery off a little.  Of course, if it's cancer, I guess that would be exceedingly foolish.
does the fna biopsy hurt? How long does it take/ I have several nodules in my thyroid and one of them has grown from .08cm to 1.25 cm) so I have to go to a surgeon for a biopsy on Friday.