Thyroid Disorders Community
Nodule in thyroid with vascularity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Nodule in thyroid with vascularity

I had an ultrasound after a my doctor found a lump on the right side of my throat. The results of the ultrasonography state: The right nodule is measure about 4.9x 1.8x 1.6 cm and the left lobe 4.2x 1.9x 1.3 cm. The isthmus of the thyroid is measured at 0.26 cm A complex nodule is noted within the right lobe located in the mid pole to the lower pole area. the nodule measured about 2.7x 1.8x 2.3 cm. There is some vascularity noted within this nodule. No other nodule in the remainder of the right or left lobe.

My question is : from experience, does anyone know if this is really bad news? my internist and endocrinologist seemed really concerned . i have to wait 3-5 days for biopsy results and im freaking out!

I don't know too much about vascularity in nodules .. sorry, but do have a lot of experience with my own nodules and partial thyroidectomy so wanted to stop by and say hi and I know that the hardest part is the waiting and waiting for results.  Hang in there .. do something nice for yourself that you like to do over this long weekend ... I hope the FNA comes back okay ... there's a very small % that are cancer, but I know you've heard that before and it doesn't help until you know what yours is or is not.

C~
1/07
You should have results within a week, most of the time they can't tell what it is, if they got lucky and got the cells they needed you will get a diagnosis.  The chance of cancer is only 5-15%, even with the vascularity.  Cancer needs a blood supply, so vascularity must be taken seriously.  Do you have symptoms?  You will probably have at least a lobectomy in your future.  If is is cancer, you have one of the most curable cancers around.  I know the waiting is the worst, I had a diagnosis only after about 8 months of tests, we finally took it out and had it tested.  The only real way to tell what it is is to get it out and send it to pathology.