Thyroid Disorders Community
Nodule removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Nodule removal

I have a 2.3cm dominent nodule causing symptoms of which my endo has recommended I have it removed. I've gone to 2 surgeons who want to take the entire left lobe along with it, however I don't want the entire lobe removed because I have alot of normal thyroid parenchyma there and the goiter resides at the very upper pole. I'll go hypothyroid for sure.

Question: Anyone know of a surgeon who would only take the goiter in PA or in a nearby state?

Thanks,

Cindy
Cindy, they usually cannot leave the lobe, the thyroid is a very vascular organ, you cannot chop half off without a great deal of blood loss.  Sometimes if your nodule is in the lowest pole they can take only half, but most won't do it.  There is also the question of the Recurrent Laryngeal Nerves running directly through the thyroid lobes, they have to be very careful...it is a delicate surgery.  Some people with half a thyroid don't have to be medicated, about 40%, I think I read.  I have no thyroid due to cancer, I am fine on medication.  I had a lobectomy, and I felt great afterwards, but they did find cancer, so I am thyroid free.
Some surgeons can do a removal of part of the lobe but it is not common. I had a partial thyroidectomy left lobe removed and did fine with no meds. If it is in one side you will still have the other, they won't take the whole two lobes out!
Goiter is not just confined to one part of the lobe, it will have the hormones and anti-bodies working away merrily while one part is inflamed (hence the goiter being there) the rest will surely follow at a later time. So it is better to remove the whole lobe.

Sorry I am in Australia so can't help with any surgeons in USA.
Cheers!
My largest nodule was 3.7cm and shrunk alittle down to 3.3cm within a year spand, however do to the cells within the nodules on both sides of the thyroid, i was recommended to have a Total Thyroidectomy in which i did...3 opinions later.

It's safer to have removed then to have not. I am on synthroid for the remainder of my life and will deal with issue pertaining to not having a thyroid, however i am blessed to not having to continually have a biopsy every six month to watch and wait for lord know what.

If all of your opinions opted to do a partial removal, then i would jus do it. You will get through the rest.
Cindy,it passed a long time since your post anyway if youre still in trouble with your thyroid  and you have a benign nodule, as I suppose, you should ask for laser ablation. It's a new outpatient procedure that is able to shrink the nodule whitout remove thyroid. I'm from Italy you can have this kind of treatment here from the national health care system.