Thyroid Disorders Community
Normal Life after a total benign thyroidectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I'm absolutely terrified!  I was very cool with my decision to have my entire thyroid removed as I have a 5.5 centimeter non-malignant nodule on the right side and three 1.3 centermeter non-malignant nodules on the left.  I was resigned to the fact that I could live without a thyroid with the proper hormone replacement.  I made the mistake of telling a very over dramatic friend of mine and she of course informed me that  EVERYONE she knew that ever had a total thyroidectomy got cancer soon after!  I keep reading about people with these weird symptoms of chronic fatigue, massive weight gain, massive weight loss, its too much!  Has anyone had a total thyroidectomy and lead a normal life afterwards?  Please let me know.
I posted almost the exact same question three months ago.  I had a TT on April 12 for a multinodular goiter (no Graves, Hashimoto's or other issues).  9 weeks later it's as if the surgery never happened.  My throat feels a little funny, the scar hasn't faded, and that's about it.  No weight gain (or loss, boo hoo), no hair loss, no cancer.  

On a side note, how do you "get cancer" from a thyroidectomy?  Sheesh!  "Everyone" your friend knows probably already had cancer, but of course, not all of us running around with no thyroid had or have cancer.  Good grief!

For what it's worth, my sister had her thyroid removed 7 years ago.  She has never had any problems either.  

Good luck!

Kat
Yes. I had one done back in 1993 (23yrs old). Still work, a lead a NORMAL life...
Unfortunately like any forum dedicated to disease, you may not find people who have success stories posting often. Totie above is an exception. Many here who post here are like you, then after time move on, as they get better.
  There are horror stories, for sure, but they aren't the norm.

It is a fact; nothing can ever perform better than the original organ. No medication is going to be the magic wand. Only by learning about your own body and knowing what all the medical terms mean, not focusing too heavily on symptoms,(unless of course, they are very obvious and concern you) and staying positive will you succeed through the thyroidectomy.

I never got cancer immediately after my surgery, I never gained weight, lost weight in great bounds, I never had chronic fatigue.....BUT I have to say, for most of the people without a thyroid it IS a balancing act. I can't lie and say it was all roses and sunshine for me, it wasn't. It still isn't. But that is just me, I have other issues that are interfering with my recovery. My sister-in-law had hers out pretty much at the same time as I did. She has no problems what so ever. Even had a baby with no issues! It really is an individual thing. You are doing the right thing and asking, educating yourself is the best way of appeasing your mind!
  Oh and by the way....don't listen to friends who had friends who knew someone who had their thyroid out...most people love drama and honestly we could all quote horror stories on any illness! You never hear someone say, 'Oh, I know someone who went to hospital and bounced right out of there 2 hours after having a herniated appendectomy followed by a lobotomy!' LOL!

I had RAI then total TT (2008) and am back working and loving every minute of it.
Not everyone has 'horror stories' and there are many success stories.
Redhead is right though about some of the success stories 'moving on'.

I stayed....to help others who are just beginning the journey of thyroid issues.
Had mine 3 years ago for cancer followed by RAI and I'm fine. It took awhile to get adjusted to the meds but all and all I would say I qualify as a success story!
I had a TT in Dec 2010...I am still on the road to a balance life however it's getting better slowly but surely...I too had benign nodules that were large, it can be challenging when trying to figure out "what the heck is happening to my body" but once you educate yourself on the symptoms of being "hypo" and make sure that you stay on top of them and be very persistent with you endo...you will be fine. I still have extreme exhaustion, however, i'm not leveled out yet but i am active and work out daily to control my weight and it is helping me alot. Stay positive and take one day at a time.
That makes me feel so much better.  Like I said before I was cool with my decision when I left the doctor's office until everyone else started "talking".  I figured the aftermath of the hormones would be a rollercoaster ride at first but get better later.  I'm just going to forge ahead and do what needs to be done.  I work out every day anyway so I was never fearful of gaining weight. My family however is very fearful of my upcoming mood swings! :)  I'm looking forward to them actually!  Anyway, thanks to everyone for your reassurance. I'll check back after surgery to let you know how all goes.
Well it sounds like many still here posting are successful and others are finding it very soon. I am right there with you. I may not of had the knife removal but RAI took my gland down to a pair of limp panty-hose hanging wet on a coat hanger - ( nothing but a string left to function)

and I am tip-top shape now after a lang haul of finding my right dose.
I had my TT just 22 days ago 6/1/10......I feel pretty good.  The only complication I am dealing with right now is my voice.  Most people I have talked to say give it five weeks to recover.  Other than that I notice a big difference getting my diseased Hashimotos gland out of my body as synthetic hormones feel much better.  I had horrible joint pain prior to surgery that was gone the minute I woke up and has not returned.  I do have some tingling at times from low calcium but I have had better luck with Caltrate D Plus chewables 600mg over the Tums.  I take two twice daily.  I am still resting at home and have not gone back to work.  Give it time and rest, but you wont feel that bad.  Oh and no one has mentioned the surgery even though where it is, is really not that painful.  No more than Tylenol, if that.  I had some pain meds in recovery initially and two tylenol in the hospital.  I wish you the best of luck, but please don't listen to all the horror stories.  Any surgery has its risks, but this one really isnt that bad.  I was home from the hospital the next day.  Best wishes, Kim

Good luck!

Kat
I was looking for forums found this one, I had total tr just three days ago, but had a couple minor complications during surgery so it's a little more painful recovery, but doing well, doc had to dig around some old very large scar tissue from a previous cspine surgery said whole area was almost closed off between the "grapefruit" on the thyroid and the scar tissue had hard time getting around vocal chord to avoid damage surgery took 3 and a half not two hours,but I woke up with a hoarse but useable voice so happy there, pain getting better, but more localized now, I can feel where he had to "dig" things out, already seeing improvement in some other areas though, getting more air when i sleep, I'm guess my sleep apnea is not as bad,can eat most real foods in small portions, my biggest irritation seems to be keeping things from rubbing on the incision which is about 3 inches, so here's hoping it continues to get better , felt ok but pretty sore first two days, tired today.. diaphram sore, and breast bone area still pretty bruised, but otherwise ok... I wish you all luck and would love to come back by and see any updates... thanks for the info everyone posted it was a great help.
Hi Kimmy! Am happy for you and continue to wish you well.  i
I just like to ask what made you decide for Thyroidectomy? Thanks, botging22
I had my TT surgery one year ago and I feel fine. I was diagnosed with a severe form of Graves’s disease but no cancer. I elected to have the surgery over the Iodine due to my thyroid growing larger by the day and the fact that iodine treatment can cause fertility issues. I do not know how long I had the disease before I was diagnosed. I am currently on Levothroxine (levothyroxine) .150 mg. Synthroid did not work for me for some reason. It gave me symptoms of fatigue, dizziness, light headed, foggy ect. I basically felt like I had a hangover without the barfing. There are days that I forget to take my medication and I can definitely feel it the next day when my hangover symptoms come back.

Since I had such a positive experience from the surgery I do recommend it as an option to others.  Before my surgery I was barely able to get out of bed. I could not stand up long enough to even take a shower. When I was resting my heart was beating so fast it was as if I had just run a marathon. If I did any kind of activity (cooking, cleaning, and taking out the trash) I would break into a cold sweat that would saturate my clothes literally. I was all messed up. Now as long as I take my meds every day I feel 90% normal. I still have minor fatigue but I really cannot complain.

To all who are considering going through the surgery my best advice would weigh your pros to the risks. Yes if you can have complications. Surgery can leave your vocal cords destroyed and your parathyroid as well. Yes, it can take years for you to try different medications and dosage to find the right balance for you. To me it was worth it because at least now I can get out of bed. I also chose the best surgeon in my state (still paying him off though :-).
I just had a TT on June 4, 2013 (20 days ago).  I feel better than ever.  I had 2 large growths on my thyroid, and they ended up being benign.  I was back to work after a week (stayed in the hospital for 3 nights because I was draining a lot of blood).  Never experienced tingling.  2 weeks after surgery, I was back in the gym.  I have not gained any weight, actually lost 1.5 lbs.  not experiencing any hyper or hypo symptoms, no hair loss, no depression, no fatigue, etc.
I too was terrified after hearing horror stories on line, but like many things in life, you hear more about the bad than the good.
I do have a visible scar, but I will take that over a goiter any day.  I actually don't mind my scar....it gives me character.

As for my background, I am 38 years old, have 2 young kids, have always lived an active lifestyle, am of medium build, and never had any health issues before this.  Also, my Dad had to have his thyroid removed, so it must have been heredity.
I had left thyroid taking out in 2005,do to cancer,did fine without it,they found 2 more nodules on right thyroid,had that removed 2011 no cancer,now 6 months ago blood count is 0.10,still low my Dr.is trying to get my medicine right,my voice is getting horseness now,hard to swallow sometimes,thats the symptoms am having now,anyone with these symptoms,please let me know thanks
You give me hope that there can be a normal life after PT or even TT. Hope and pray mine are benign when they open me up next week and wont experience hypothyrodism given the right dose of medication. I dread weight gain the most.
I am sitting in the hospital now just had tt removed plus three parathyroids removed . Not much pain I'm just wondering before my thyroid condition hasimotos 9years ago ibweighed 120 lbs since the hashimotos I've not been able to get below 200 now that the hashimotos is gone does anyone knowing I'll be able to lose weight quickly as long as I take my synthroid im not sure the dose he will put me on yet but I was on 400mcg a day before surgery I'm just desperate to lose someone this weight..
I had my right thyroid taken out on August 23, 2013, I did not have cancer. Had problems with my voice being hoarse for almost 7 weeks. My real problem I am having is I have a hard mass behind my scar on my neck that feels like someone is pressing on my throat or I have a lump in my throat. I did talk to the doctor about this all he says is that it takes time to heal. Well it is a very uncomfortable feeling and wondered if there is anyone else having this same issue.  
I just had a left lobectomy for a nodule (turned out benign adenoma, thankfully). I am 13 days post-op and looking for encouragement as the original poster. I see so much negativity on the internet, but have three friends that had tt  (two of them 30 years ago) and they are completely fine. I never even knew she had a thyroid history. Their scars are invisible, they take Syntroid and are bundles of energy, as well as being major community leaders. You would think I wold look at that encouragement.

I guess because I am two weeks out, I am still healing and even though I woke-up with a full voice, speaking loudly and in high tones, and sining do not work well right now. I am probably being too hard on myself and need time to heal.

I am not concerned so much about meds, because the surgeon believes my other half will pick up the work load and do fine. He has left even tiny amounts for people that have worked for them, so he feels an entire half should work. I pray so!

My main question is about recovery. I am looking for those who have fully recovered from surgery and how long it takes that throat tightness/lump in throat to go away, and the voice to come back fully. My surgeon says 6-12 weeks. I have walked every day since the day after surgery, take loads of vitamins, I am driving fine, and have full motion of my neck in all directions, but it feels a little tight when tight turning to the surgery side...although I can do it. My scar still has some swelling underneath it, but it will look good when healed, I believe, because the only redness I seem to have right now is some bruising. I also have extreme anxiety about this which is making me depressed.

Hoping for words of encouragement from people who have healed well and gone back to feeling normal and leading a normal life...post-surgery...I understand it took time for meds, but I mean from surgery.

Thank you for letting me vent. I am the mother of two very busy children and I have always lead a very busy, chaotic life, and I want it all back! I appreciate encouragement and then when I heal I can encourage others :)
Hi Roberts1264,

I have hashimoto's and got recently diagnosed. Since you had your surgery a year back, I wanted to know how your life has been post surgery. I am dying to hear some success stories, and hoping that you have one to tell.