Thyroid Disorders Community
Normal TSH level Range ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Normal TSH level Range ?

Hi everyone,this morning i visited my endocrinologist where he checked my previous TSH levels were highest at 6.1 and the other 2 previous tsh were below that,is TSH level at 6.1 considered thyroid problem but the endo say its still in a normal range..so far my symptoms are constant lightheadedness,palpitations and shortness of breathe.
TSH is a pituitary hormone and not always a good indicator of thyroid disease. With that said, I do believe that a 6.1 TSH should not be ignored. If you endo knows squat about thyroid disease, the doc should order the FreeT4 and FreeT3 tests to determine your ACTUAL thyroid levels and then the TPOab and TGab to determine if Hashimoto's is behind this  high TSH. Ninety percent of hypo patients in developed countries have Hashi, an auto-immune thyroid disease.

Shortness of breath and the light head could be due to an enlarged goiter. Palpatations could be from leaky thyroid nodules or the thyroid swelling and releasing excess hormone. This happens when Hashi antibodies attack. I would also request a thyroid ultrasound if your antibodies come back positive for Hashi.

Adrenal failure, common in hypo patients, depending on the stage of failure, can also cause palpatations and light headedness.

BTW - My TSH never went above a 2.74. It took me a long while to convince my endo to test my antibodies. My TPO was a 221, way above 'normal' levels, and my frees were bottomed out. She finally diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. Then I realized that any endo worth her salt would have figured me out much sooner, so I went to this website and found a new endo.
http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/

Make sure your endo is testing/ treating FT3/4, testing those antibodies, and testing and treating adrenals.

If you turn out to have Hashi, read my journal and see how well I'm feeling on my Hashi protocol.
:) Tamra
Hi thanks for the info i had a second tsh test last month and was told it was back in the normal range less than 6.1 i guess and the doc order both t3 and t4 test which came back normal not sure thw range but will get it next appointment so  they rule out thyroid but the confusing thing is my. Cardio said it could be a thyroid problem but the endo was so confident it was not.i also did a
Research where 6.1 tsh level is already a thyroid problem,so frustrating as i keep having palpitations and dizzyness all day long and the endo was so fast to say all its in the mind anxiety causing all those symptoms
With a TSH of 6.1, you most likely are hypo.  You need to know first what your Free T3 and Free T4 are -- do make sure they are Free, not total, as those are obsolete and of limited use.  

In addition, don't ever settle for having them tell you, your results are "normal".  Always insist on getting a copy of the lab report for your files.  You can mark on it how you felt at that time and it will help you keep a running record.  

It's very possible for your FT3 and FT4 to be in the "normal range", even while being hypo.  especially if they are very low in the range.  We are all different and each will be affected differently by various levels.  

You may need to find a new endo!!  
I totally agree with Barb.
Thanks guys will try to talk it with my endo,i just find it very frustarting when they keep saying those symptoms i had are all in ur mind,i actually believe the doctors till i did a research on tsh levels and i was shock to see that tsh 6.1 is consider hypo and so supirsed to br told its very normal by the doctors :s also i had a family history of thyroid problems