Thyroid Disorders Community
Normal Thyroid tests and Low T3

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Normal Thyroid tests and Low T3

My family doctor recently tested ran a thyroid panel and sent me the results with "perfect" written on it. He has referred me to a nutritional doctor for weird symptoms, who did a Western Blot test and is telling me I have Lyme Disease. He also ran yet another thyroid test after having me on a 1-2 drops of Lugol's Solution for the past 2 months. The T3 result is 92, and the reference interval is 83-200. Written on the test is "low", and they are recommending that I go on thyroid medication. My family doctor is insisting that there is NOTHING wrong with my thyroid. I am very active, exercise and have issues that I believe are associated with long standing ingestion of OTC drugs for GERD, which we are treating with a regimen of probiotics.

In the interim, I am very confused, and frightened about these weird diagnoses and treatment recommendations. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am currently being sent on to yet a 3rd doctor, a so-called "Lyme" specialist....
I can certainly understand your confusion.  Understanding thyroid problems is difficult enough without having dueling doctors.  If you really want to know what is going on you first need to consider whether you have symptoms of being hypo.  One I noted was GERD, which can be associated with being hypo.     I know that from my own experience. What others do you have?

Another important consideration is the levels of the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones, which are free T3 and free T4.  FT3 and FT4 are the portions of total T3 and total T4 that are not bound up with protein, which renders them inactive.  FT3 is actually the most important because it is four times as potent as FT4, and FT3 correlates best with hypo symptoms.  Tests for total T3 and total T4 are somewhat obsolete and not very helpful.
You didn't mention TSH, which is every doctor's favorite test to run.  Unfortunately it is not adequate as a diagnostic to determine treatment.  It is only useful as an indicator to be considered along with the other, more important ones. So my suggestion is that is you haven't had FT3 and FT4 tests done, then go back and insist that be done and then post the results and reference ranges used by your lab and members can help interpret.